Thread: vert questions..

My Cars
    99 328i vert

vert questions..

bought a 99 vert very clean low miles. It has a automatic top.. motors and everything weighs a ton!! i can care less about putting the top up and down with a button. what will it take to take all the motors out and whatever else i dont need, so i can just do it like a non automatic top would work.

plus on a side note what top do other buy. my back window is foggy from socal sun and i would also like it tinted.

help on this so i can reduce weight.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i Vert
    This: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-top-to-manual

Don't know where you'd get a top with a tinted rear window. I just bought one from Diamondmall off eBay. Just make sure you get a top with the plastic retainers if you are going to DIY.

My Cars
    99 328i vert
    yeah i just read about Diamondmall the other day some guy on here did a diy change. Maybe the place that did my tints were rookies because he said he cant tint it (which i thought was reasonable being vinyl). Yet i see plenty of rear tinted vert windows so i figured maybe they come tinted already. IDK!

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    All those motors, as you put it, don't add up to 50 lbs (I've taken mine out for repairs before.) The added weight of the convertible is from the chassis reinforcements necessary for structural integrity. If the motors are all working correctly, then why spend hundreds of dollars on the conversion?

My Cars
    '98 M3 'Vert '07 328xit
    I believe you'll need to add a tonneau lock-down to keep the tonneau cover shut in the absence of a motor to close the tonneau when the top is stored.

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    As to the tinted rear window, I think you can get a replacement zip in one that's tinted, and you can buy an aftermarket replacement top with the rear window tinted.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Almost every supplier of canvas roofs will special order a dark tint rear window for you. just ask.

Those tint guys aren't rookies. You dont apply tint to a flexible rear window. You get one that uses tinted plastic

My Cars
    99 328i vert
    thanks everyone its been a while since ive been on here lol

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Unhook the motors. Or dissengage them. Youl be able to manually move it up or down. And to lock the cover down engage the cover motor and press the auto top button until it pulls the lid down and locks it. And to put it up open trunk and pop the motor again and put it up.