Thread: i8 Dealer Markup Taboo

My Cars
    E36 M3

i8 Dealer Markup Taboo

Hey guys,

So, the dealer is trying to mark me up even though I was on the list 1.5 years ago.

I understand capitalism in conjunction with supply/demand economics, but after reserving 1.5 years ago, and incessantly inquiring to solidify numbers for the past few months...aren't these lease rates convoluted?

Not only that, but they're trying to screw me with a 6% APR as if I was gullible enough to believe automotive finance rates aren't 3% throughout the industry (in some cases even 2.4% for Capital One, et. al).

I'm a bit flustered by this whole situation, and am not thrilled with BMW's approach to this. Can anyone chime in with some commentary on what my rebuttals with the dealer should be when we speak on Monday?

I feel "taken" as an early adopter, 1.5-year-on-the-list brand advocate, and 7-time-repeat-customer...My M6 lease (cost) for $115,000 was $1,450 a month. I expected $2,000 a month for this i8.

Not $2,800

and I know, I know..."there's another guy in line waiting to pay over sticker."

Thank you for your time everyone

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    99 M3
    you have the financial ability to buy an i8 and youre complaining about a markup on bmws first hybrid sports car, you wanna be the jabroney who has to have the car first well youre gonna pay for it (easy concept to understand, supply and demand)

First world problems at its finest
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by vanishm3 View Post
    you have the financial ability to buy an i8 and youre complaining about a markup on bmws first hybrid sports car, you wanna be the jabroney who has to have the car first well youre gonna pay for it (easy concept to understand, supply and demand)

First world problems at its finest
    Op has every right to be upset.
    People have money for a reason. Others do not for a reason as well.
    Just because the OP applied himself in life and made something of himself doesn't mean he should be taken advantage of.

F the I8. Get a Hellcat.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Op has every right to be upset.
    People have money for a reason. Others do not for a reason as well.
    Just because the OP applied himself in life and made something of himself doesn't mean he should be taken advantage of.

F the I8. Get a Hellcat.
    We have a lot of rights, that doesnt mean were justified in them in any action that we take. there is a very big difference between wants, needs, what you ought to vs what you want to do.

instead of the OP complaining about roughly a 7% markup on an internet forum of all places, how about he uses his money to make an example of BMW (or would that be too easy?)

donate the difference to charity, write a letter to BMW and your local newspaper, make a news event out of it, do some good for someone less fortunate than you.

edit: its like the people that complain about a new gaming console getting marked up the very first day its released, nobody is forcing you to buy anything, you pay to play.
    Last edited by vanishm3; 09-20-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

there is a very big difference between wants, needs, what you ought to vs what you want to do.

instead of the OP complaining about roughly a 7% markup on an internet forum of all places, how about he uses his money to make an example of BMW (or would that be too easy?)

donate the difference to charity, write a letter to BMW and your local newspaper, make a news event out of it, do some good for someone less fortunate than you.
    How do you know what OP does with his money? He could be donating tons of coin. We do t know. Should he donate it all? We have no right to say what OP should do with his money. Its 100% his business. For all we know he could be dropping $1,000 a day into a local charity. If he was, then would it be wrong for BMW to rip him off?

OP I hope you get this straighted out in your favor. You worked for it. You deserve it.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    99 M3
    How do you know what OP does with his money? He could be donating tons of coin. We do t know. Should he donate it all? We have no right to say what OP should do with his money. Its 100% his business. For all we know he could be dropping $1,000 a day into a local charity. If he was, then would it be wrong for BMW to rip him off?

OP I hope you get this straighted out in your favor. You worked for it. You deserve it.
    lol YEA Im sure the OP donates all kind of money.

hes complaining about a 7% markup on a luxury sports car.......

nobody is telling him he cant buy what he wants, but when youre talking about rich folk with rich situations the context changes; first world problems at its finest.

is he complaining about a 10 cent mark up on a $1 loaf of bread so he cant eat at night? Its like this, how ridiculous would the OP sound to the average person if he was complaining about this to someone who has to survive day to day? Anyone would gladly switch that situation to having to worry about a 10k markup on a $130,000 luxury item.

its about context, wants vs needs, if you live in a bubble stuff like this doesnt run through your train of thought.
    Last edited by vanishm3; 09-20-2014 at 08:25 PM.
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    E36 M3
    lol YEA Im sure the OP donates all kind of money.

hes complaining about a 7% markup on a luxury sports car.......

nobody is telling him he cant buy what he wants, but when youre talking about rich folk with rich situations the context changes; first world problems at its finest.

is he complaining about a 10 cent mark up on a $1 loaf of bread so he cant eat at night? Its like this, how ridiculous would the OP sound to the average person if he was complaining about this to someone who has to survive day to day? Anyone would gladly switch that situation to having to worry about a 10k markup on a $130,000 luxury item.

its about context, wants vs needs, if you live in a bubble stuff like this doesnt run through your train of thought.

Dear Vanish,

I think it's time for a career change, divorce, or boarding school for one of your children.

Whatever it is which makes you a miserable person.

I orchestrate one of the largest annual charity events for super cars. I'm not throwing numbers out, but I've made a summer camp tangible for children with an extremely rare skin disease. Their camp would have gone bankrupt had I not stepped in to help. That doesn't even include the personal charitable donations I make per annum.

But seriously - why the hell are we talking about charitable donations..

Vanish - you're the antithesis of the "purpose" of a forum. Please take your crass attitude elsewhere. We are all here for answers. You have none to provide.

Thank you to the other poster trying to instill some reason into this character. Clearly a lost cause, however.
    Last edited by Fatal Flash; 09-22-2014 at 01:26 PM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    I have a feeling he will not be satisfied. No way should you be able to afford a I8 and he can't.
    I find it funny that he drives a BMW tho. He could sell it , donate it to charity and pick up a 93 hinds hatch.
    Seems more suiting.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Update : dealer admitted to $10k markup...

Says they're "doing me a favor by not marking us up $30k because they like us."

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Flash View Post
    Update : dealer admitted to $10k markup...

Says they're "doing me a favor by not marking us up $30k because they like us."
    How far away is the Porsche dealer?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    99 M3
    Dear Vanish,

I think it's time for a career change, divorce, or boarding school for one of your children.

Whatever it is which makes you a miserable person.

I orchestrate one of the largest annual charity events for super cars. I'm not throwing numbers out, but I've made a summer camp tangible for children with an extremely rare skin disease. Their camp would have gone bankrupt had I not stepped in to help. That doesn't even include the personal charitable donations I make per annum.

But seriously - why the hell are we talking about charitable donations..

Vanish - you're the antithesis of the "purpose" of a forum. Please take your crass attitude elsewhere. We are all here for answers. You have none to provide.

Thank you to the other poster trying to instill some reason into this character. Clearly a lost cause, however.
    why are you crying? Its a public forum, if you cant handle opinions that differ from you than maybe you should try talking to your friends about your problems instead or do you not have any friends thats why youre venting on a public forum?

People with money crack me up, lololol complaining about $7000 markup ololololol on a $120,000 car lolololol. 99% of people will never even get the chance to sit inside an i8 and you have the audacity to complain about the rare opportunity you have on a public forum. Empathy is clearly something you are lacking...talk about living in a bubble.
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

why are you crying?
    Cause he is getting ripped off.
    $7000 is a e36 M3. They are taking a used high mileage M3 from him.
    He is now buying 2 cars and getting only 1 . Is that easier to understand?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Cause he is getting ripped off.
    $7000 is a e36 M3. They are taking a used high mileage M3 from him.
    He is now buying 2 cars and getting only 1 . Is that easier to understand?
    Vanish is brain damaged. We know this already

P.S. Vanish - it's spelled "...then."

But it's okay. We understand your frustrations.

...you than maybe

My Cars
    '10 X5M; '13 328i Msport
    I hear ya flash...am 6th on list here in Richmond, and they are a dealer not marking up at all. Mgr here said guys in MD were giving them he'll for not adding a dealer mark up (30k each for 4 cars there), but they feel that a short term profit would put a bad taste in buyers mouths. I have bought 5 cars in a year and a half from them (yes, there may be something wrong with me, , and my wife will agree!) and they feel the relationship is more important....plus, they are still turning a nice profit on the car. It's probably too late to get a different dealer...My brother has a client who picked up the first in his southern city and turned it for a 75k profit, so I guess $10k is better, but I would still have a very sour taste, especially as a 7 time buyer! And as to being irritated about getting ripped off, I still get ticked when someone is trying to put one over me for $10 let alone 10k....it's how those who have made it keep it, eh? Good luck, and I hope your dealer does come to their senses and does not lose years and years of future BMW purchases for 10k....he'll, my guys have made that and more in trade in and purchases this year alone, and I didn't have to swallow a big bitter pill!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Hey guys,

So, the dealer is trying to mark me up even though I was on the list 1.5 years ago.

I understand capitalism in conjunction with supply/demand economics, but after reserving 1.5 years ago, and incessantly inquiring to solidify numbers for the past few months...aren't these lease rates convoluted?

Not only that, but they're trying to screw me with a 6% APR as if I was gullible enough to believe automotive finance rates aren't 3% throughout the industry (in some cases even 2.4% for Capital One, et. al).

I'm a bit flustered by this whole situation, and am not thrilled with BMW's approach to this. Can anyone chime in with some commentary on what my rebuttals with the dealer should be when we speak on Monday?

I feel "taken" as an early adopter, 1.5-year-on-the-list brand advocate, and 7-time-repeat-customer...My M6 lease (cost) for $115,000 was $1,450 a month. I expected $2,000 a month for this i8.

Not $2,800

and I know, I know
    ..."there's another guy in line waiting to pay over sticker."

Thank you for your time everyone

"reserving 1.5 years ago, and incessantly inquiring"
    You've but a bullseye on your ass and a sucker stamp on your forehead

Your grasp of supply and demand leaves a bit to be desired. Nothing surprising here, exploited by car salesmen, go figure.
    I8? Can't wait to see the depreciation curve on this baby, ought to look like Niagra Falls
    Last edited by ross1; 11-07-2014 at 08:24 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue