Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 335is vs. 2011 M3 ZCP

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S

2013 335is vs. 2011 M3 ZCP

I can get both for about the same price. I've test drove the M3. Of course it's awesome.
    I'll be test driving the 335is today. I'm sure I'll like it.
    The 335is has remaining balance of the existing warranty, only 17k miles. The M3 has 42k miles and the warranty is up in 5/2015 or 50k miles.

I know this is a stupid question, but would I be missing much opting for the 335is? I think the warranty is very important I'd have till 50k miles/~2016.

Let me know what you think. Thanks all!!!

My Cars
    E39,W124
    I'd choose a car with the longest warranty.But I'd also call a local BMW dealer to find out about the extended warranty contracts for the M3.And go from there.
    Good luck!

The Ultimate Driving Машин

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    I would also see if you could get the service records for both vehicles from BMW to see how they were maintained and what (if anything) was repaired/replaced.

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    I'd go for a 335i and get a tune.... never to think about the M3 and it's V8 again....

But then again... that sexy V8 sound... is indeed sexy....
    Viktor Agnar Falk Gušmundsson
    -----------------------------

Signature idea, courtesy of 5mall5nails

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselGhost View Post
    I'd go for a 335i and get a tune.... never to think about the M3 and it's V8 again....

But then again... that sexy V8 sound... is indeed sexy....
    Thanks now I'm totally tortured :P.

My Cars
    2001 E36 M57TUD Compact
    On a serious note.... if it were me... i'd take the 335i, and get a tune....

if possible, i would rather get a 335d though.... in the long run.. more practical...

and... uh.... check this out:
    Viktor Agnar Falk Gušmundsson
    -----------------------------

Signature idea, courtesy of 5mall5nails

My Cars
    z3
    This is a much better question now then was the question of E46 M3 vs. E46 330i ZHP which was the similar question for the last gen of cars. The thing is now a 335 can be made as fast or faster than an M3. But you'll spend a lot getting the same suspension feel in the 335is. The M3 is more rare with a certain aggressive look to it that the 335is doesn't match for me.

PERSONALLY, I'd get the M3. It will probably be worth more in the future since N54/N55 engines power so many cars that they just aren't special. The M3 V8 may be slower than a highly modified 335is but it feels better to drive and the sound is intoxicating. I would make this choice because I don't care as much about straight-line speed. I care more about the feel of the engine power delivery, feel of the suspension, and the sound and overall driving experience. The M3 IMHO beats the 335is in this regard. I also dont care about the warranty since I would JB4 the 335is immediately and I repair my own cars anyways.

You need to ask yourself what you want/need in a car to see where these two potential purchases slot in.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S
    I'm really leaning towards the M3, but this 335is seems like a great deal. I thought the 335is might be a good alternative. I don't work on cars or mod them. I like stock and out of the box.

The M3 ZCP has a look and sound...what can I say...maybe I made up my own mind.

Thanks guys.

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S
    Test drove the 335is. Very nice car. Have some thinking to do.

My Cars
    E39,W124
    Add this and it'll become much nicer!

My Cars
    2016 BMW M4 Cabriolet
    you can always supercharge the m3 if you're worried about it being a bit slower than a done up 335 in a straight line.

The M3 may hold resale value better years later and it's a more special car.

My Cars
    2019 M4 CS; 2013 M3
    Had a 335i with Cobb AP. Sold it and now have the E90 M3. Get the M3, you will regret getting the 335. Yes, you can go FBO on the 335 and it will be faster than an M3, but the M3 looks considerably better (more aggressive) and is a higher class car.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    I had a 135i before I bought my E46 M3. The M3 is a better car in every possible way. The limited slip diff, the special engine, the way it makes power. Everything. The 335is is a great car, but it's just a car. The M3 is something special.

My Cars
    98 M3 Sedan, 11 M3 Coupe
    +1 on the M3. Went from a 335i to an M3 and it's just a much more special car. Doesn't matter how much you tune a 335i you'll always be overcompensating and wishing you got the M3 instead.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    I re-read your original post, OP, and I think it also depends on what's important to you. If the warranty is very important and you value getting slightly better gas mileage, slightly cheaper maintenance (namely oil costs...Castrol 10W60 for the M3 is $12-16 a quart), and perhaps cheaper insurance then the 335is is worth considering.

If you are going to be daily-driving either car and don't ever plan to go to the track or anything then that makes the 335i a stronger contender.

My only advice is don't look at the 335 and say "I can tune it to be just as good as the M3" because you can't (sorry 335i JB tune fanboys :-) ). The 335is is a great car in it's own right; the N54 makes great power and is a very cool motor. But it's no S65 no matter how much tuning you do. If you like the 335is as it is and it fits your other needs it's a very good choice. Just don't expect it to be something it's not.

The 335is an awesome street car that can be some fun around a track and on twisty roads. The M3 is a track weapon with a race-car-like motor with all the street car trimmings.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way. Like I said, my 135i was a great car. The n54 was a blast, the JB tune made it more-so. But my M3 was something special. But I only drove it in nice weather and weekends - I had a daily beater as well.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
    My only advice is don't look at the 335 and say "I can tune it to be just as good as the M3" because you can't (sorry 335i JB tune fanboys :-) ). The 335is is a great car in it's own right; the N54 makes great power and is a very cool motor. But it's no S65 no matter how much tuning you do. If you like the 335is as it is and it fits your other needs it's a very good choice. Just don't expect it to be something it's not.
    When tuned the N54/N55 has better torque, a larger power band, and higher peak numbers than the S65. The S65 is a very peaky engine, a tuned N54/N55 will definitely out-perform it. I'm far from a JB fanboy, I prefer my N52 over the N54/N55 plants personally, but I wouldn't discredit the potential of those awesome engines.

Plus you can bolt on all the M3 suspension components if you really wanted to... and an E46 M3 like yours performs very differently than the E92 M3 he is considering...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S
    Quote Originally Posted by russoturristo View Post
    Add this and it'll become much nicer!
    Have you known any situations where this device screwed up the car. I read through the quick start guide and states that if you don't do certain things correctly that it could render the car inoperable!!! If you use this thing will it void the warranty?

Sounds interesting though. I may be too old for this sort of thing. :P

My Cars
    E39,W124
    Check pm

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    When tuned the N54/N55 has better torque, a larger power band, and higher peak numbers than the S65. The S65 is a very peaky engine, a tuned N54/N55 will definitely out-perform it. I'm far from a JB fanboy, I prefer my N52 over the N54/N55 plants personally, but I wouldn't discredit the potential of those awesome engines.

Plus you can bolt on all the M3 suspension components if you really wanted to... and an E46 M3 like yours performs very differently than the E92 M3 he is considering...
    All fair points. And in a purely analytical sense you may be right.

I admit that I'm an ///M curmudgeon or something, but an N54 will never be special like the S65 is. The high-rev nature is what I love about the M engines and the N54 doesn't offer that. The individual throttle bodies are also pretty sweet. The S65 has a character to it where the N54 doesn't. Even if it makes as much more or more power/torque it does so in a dull way...or at least dull to me. I enjoy the ring-it-out, peaky nature of the NA motors power delivery. It's a little bit of an emotional thing to me. It's largely a matter of what you enjoy.

It really comes down to what he's after. Both are great cars, but in the final analysis the M3 is more special, but certainly has it's downsides from a usability standpoint.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Wouldn't buy either. Get a 996/997 which ever u can afford.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Wouldn't buy either. Get a 996/997 which ever u can afford.
    993 turbo all the way, butters.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolph320i View Post
    993 turbo all the way, butters.
    +1

I've been looking at a lot of P-cars recently for some reason so I support this. 993 is a dream car of mine. I would take one of those over the M3 or 335 no questions asked. Give it 15 years and the 993 will be worth more too... at current trends it will be worth a LOT more...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    +1

I've been looking at a lot of P-cars recently for some reason so I support this. 993 is a dream car of mine. I would take one of those over the M3 or 335 no questions asked. Give it 15 years and the 993 will be worth more too... at current trends it will be worth a LOT more...
    well the 993 turbo way out of the price point that either the 335 or m3 are in or are likely to be in anyway so its moot, but its always fun to look. For daily uses Id probably go 335 because low end torque is awesome, if tracking on weekends then snag the M3.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    2008 M3, 2004 G35 Coupe
    I'm biased, but I'd go with the M3. Great stock handling and power and the sound of the S65 at 8K is intoxicating. But prepare for the aforementioned $16 liters of oil and 13mpg.

My Cars
    2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S
    You guys are making it hard to choose. I was feeling the 335is because it's the more sensible choice, better warranty. I can probably get a better deal on the 335is as well. The seller for the M3 isn't budging on price. Too bad amazing car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast