Thread: 135 Wide Body

My Cars
    2012 135I M sport

135 Wide Body

Hello everyone,

Im not particularly new to the site, iv been on here since January but this is my first post. Im about to throw a wild idea out to you guys to hear some feedback. I own a 2012 BMW 135I m sport.

Basically i want a wide body. I found kits for like 10k but i dont want to spend that on just the body. I also LOVE the rocket bunny series body kits. I also own a 240sx that has 500 hp... thats a story its self but the rocket bunny kit for the 240 and the scion FRS in my opinion are killer. Ill attach pictures below this write up. My plan is to buy the fender flares that are on the FRS kit and fabricate them to fit the 1 series. I have seen custom widebodys made before but im good at body work but not that good to make one from scratch lol. Just want to see what you guys think and your opinions to it.

Like i said i attached alot of pictures to really show all angles of the kit. Let me know what you guys think. Obviously ill be starting with the front fenders, they are easiest to replace if i mess up. I guess realistically the most that can go wrong is im out 1500 bucks but i think its a real cool idea and i just want to see what you guys think.

Thanks!
    Names troy!

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    2012 135I M sport
    thanks for replying rob22sf,

I want wider then the m1 fenders and i love the look of the rivet over fenders.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Subscribed.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    z3
    You will be utterly destroying those fenders to make them fit and the gain will in the end not really be worth it. As I see it, you can design new fenders, or use the 1M bits. This will likely not end well. Different angles at every aspect. Its not going to be as simple as trimming at a few points and putting it on...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2012 135I M sport
    BimmerBreaker

My buddy has an FRS and we compared the two cars together. The body lines and contours are pretty close to the same WHERE IT MATTERS. There will be minor cutting and reshaping. If we start at the back. The bmw has a flat piece that goes around the wheel wheel. Then it concave`s towards the top and goes in to a convex shape. The FRS has the same flat part and then a convex shape to the top of the trunk. That minor difference, the rivets will suck in the fiberglass flares. If i have to add a little fiberglass, no big deal.

The fronts are easy because i can build the fenders by cutting the bmw fenders and adding in the flares.

Have you ever tried something like this? Have you worked with body panels or fiber glass before. Its actually really easy especially since the vendor leaves all the extra material from the mold on them and you have to cut them and make them fit. I have done stuff like this before. Im not asking really if it can be done because it can, thats easy and anyone who is good with body prep would agree.

My Cars
    98 M3
    I don't see it working very well with the Rocket Bunny stuff... I'm a HUGE fan of their stuff, but I feel as though their designs from the FRS/BRZ will require too much fab to look correct (regardless of how they fit) on a 1er. If It were me, I'd honestly try and just do something from scratch, and yes I do personally have fiberglass experience. Just my two cents though, and if you do go ahead with the Rocket Bunny stuff, I will definitely be rooting you on!

Edit: If you haven't heard of them, check out Circuit Garage, because they've done some killer rivet styled stuff on their s2k. I feel like their rear flares from the s2k are styled more "properly" for the 1er body than the Rocket Bunny ones.

Last edited by jeremy5000; 09-17-2014 at 02:43 PM.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy5000 View Post
    I will definitely be rooting you on!
    Me too.
    If he has enough ambition, he will make it happen. Here to watch.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2012 135I M sport
    Jeremy5000

I love that s2000, damn thats hot! Thanks for the help. Im still in the planning process, i take the car off the road mid November for the winter months and at that point ill be starting the build.

The one thing i love the most about the Rocket Bunny is that flare are 3/4 the length of the wheel well and then in the front it cuts back and rounds in towards the wheel and on the back it just stops. I also love the rivet look. I feel its more rugged and that race appeal. I am really good at fiberglass and body work but im not good enough at this point to start from scratch. I would have no idea where to even begin. The s2000, ill look in to, i have a few buddy's that own them that i can compare body's.

My Cars
    98 M3

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Me too.
    If he has enough ambition, he will make it happen. Here to watch.
    +1
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Imo having fender flares is not widebody. I would not do it to ur 135i. The s13 is more of a toy and should be the car to do whatever on.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    2012 135I M sport
    my 135 is a toy lol

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by tfal25 View Post
    my 135 is a toy lol
    No F's given. Love this thread.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by tfal25 View Post
    BimmerBreaker

Have you ever tried something like this? Have you worked with body panels or fiber glass before. Its actually really easy especially since the vendor leaves all the extra material from the mold on them and you have to cut them and make them fit. I have done stuff like this before. Im not asking really if it can be done because it can, thats easy and anyone who is good with body prep would agree.
    Yes. I have done bodywork before and I have retrofitted custom parts like this. Its not going to be easy. Its a lot of finesse getting aftermarket parts to fit right as-is, but to use aftermarket parts from a completely different model is a whole 'nother ball game. I'm interested to see results and wish you good luck with it, but too often we see these threads get started and never finish

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2012 135I M sport
    BimmerBreaker,

I looked in to making panels from scratch. I think it'll be a cheaper and easier rout. I guess when making custom parts people use expanding foam and carve it out of that. There are 2 routs from there, 1.) making molds out of it and then making each panel out of carbon fiber or fiber glass. 2) they dont remove the foam and just lay some resin to stiffen up the foam and make it part of the car. This rout would mean permanent but it something im looking in to since i have never done the foam approach.

When i start the build probably in a few months when the winter months sink in ill start throwing pictures up and really see whats a better option. I think im leaning on the foam idea. Its worth a try for very little cost and if it doesnt work, i can always take it off and try using existing aftermarket panels.

My Cars
    z3
    I've heard of people using expanding foam applied over the car to form parts, but the only time I've heard of people stiffening expanding foam to form a "final" part in situ were sort of jokes... that is not really proper, and the foam is not designed for such a purpose and over time may attract water and it will eventually rub off the paint underneath and it will start to rust. I would advise against doing that.

Personally, I would wrap the car in saran wrap or something similar to protect the paint. Then apply the foam over top, trim to desired shape or a tad thicker and then cut grooves for where there are joints such as fender to bumper then remove the panels with the foam in place. Put the fenders next to eachother so you can take measurements and verify everything is identical one side to the other on the fenders first. Then re-mount panels and move to the bumper and align everything there. Rear will be harder since it will all need to be done in place, but with some proper measurements it will all look proper. Once its all done, the saran wrap will act as a mould release to let the foam off and then you can mould the parts separately, or if you have the capability, you can use the fender with the foam on top to form a mould for the entire panel.

Either way moulds are better. And with moulds you can keep them and make more to sell, or make a couple extras for yourself in case you get in an accident someday. Never hurts to be pre-emptive about stuff like that, especially with stuff thats one of a kind.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2012 135I M sport
    BimmerBreaker,

Thats exactly what i was thinking. I can get huge 4 foot wide rolls at work that i can cover the car with, lay the foam and protect the paint. I like that rout of making the mold, its just something i have never done before and no one in my area has done before so it will definitely be a learning curve. the nice thing about that though is with the plastic wrap protecting my paint, the foam being so cheap. i can try 100 times and fail before i go spend the money on a body kit for another car and f that up lol. Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    saw someone mention this on 1addicts

http://www.modbargains.com/Evolution...-128i-135i.htm