Thread: Thinking about a M235i...

My Cars
    BMW 325i

Thinking about a M235i...

I'm thinking about whether my next car should be a M235i. Some of the reviews I've read said it captures the spirit of the earlier 3 series better than other BMW models. But I'm also looking for first-hand opinion. Anyone here driven a M235i? How was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat104 View Post
    I'm thinking about whether my next car should be a M235i. Some of the reviews I've read said it captures the spirit of the earlier 3 series better than other BMW models. But I'm also looking for first-hand opinion. Anyone here driven a M235i? How was it?
    I've had one since May 28th. It replaced a 2007 Z4 3.0 Si coupe.

Equipped with a 6-speed manual, it's an absolute blast to drive.

I picked up mine a week ago and came from a 09 328xi and test drove f30 3 and 4 series. Although I'm still in my breaking period and havnt pushed it, the reviews are spot on. It's a special car, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it
    Last edited by davidg158; 09-16-2014 at 02:02 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Thanks for the replies so far. How would you compare the M235i to a 335i or 435i?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    I've had mine since april, and while I haven't driven the new 435, I have driven the f30 335, and this definitely feels like a more fun car. It isn't that much lighter than the 3, but it does feel like it is.

Anyways I had an e36 m3, and currently my z3, and I gotta say, I do have to agree to a point that the 235 captures some of the essence that the e36 m3 had. I love the car honestly, but I opted for the 8 speed auto instead of a stick shift ( my first auto ever heh) and to my surprise this transmission is Damn amazing.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I've had mine since april, and while I haven't driven the new 435, I have driven the f30 335, and this definitely feels like a more fun car. It isn't that much lighter than the 3, but it does feel like it is.

Anyways I had an e36 m3, and currently my z3, and I gotta say, I do have to agree to a point that the 235 captures some of the essence that the e36 m3 had. I love the car honestly, but I opted for the 8 speed auto instead of a stick shift ( my first auto ever heh) and to my surprise this transmission is Damn amazing.
    Thanks for your insight. The M235i is looking increasingly tempting in my eyes.

Thanks for your insight. The M235i is looking increasingly tempting in my eyes.
    I can only compare the 235 to my 10 E93. Interior room seems about the same, but the 235 seems more responsive, having a "lighter feel" to it.

Performance-wise, I'm not an overly-aggressive driver, so I can be of little assistance in that area...

I don't think the 235 will disappoint you, if that's what you select...

Quote Originally Posted by davidg158 View Post
    I picked up mine a week ago and came from a 09 328xi and test drove f30 3 and 4 series. Although I'm still in my breaking period and havnt pushed it, the reviews are spot on. It's a special car, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it
    I test drive a 435 with the mppk so it had about the same power as the m235. They both felt pretty similar In most aspects expect the price is a lot cheaper for the m235, the m235 is a bit smaller inside but IMO I like the smaller feel. The 435 was a bit more luxurious but not by a whole lot. The 3 series feels bigger for obvious reasons but I'm not a fan of the exterior. If you want to most power for your money the m235 is the obvious choice. For the luxury the 435 is a better choice along with the leg room of the back seat but if you are worried about that go with a 3 series or 435 gc. It all depends on what you are looking for: power and performance and money, m235. If money isn't an issue and you want a little more luxury and back seat leg room and can handle a slight (very little) reduction in performance than go with the 4 series with the mppk

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
    I can only compare the 235 to my 10 E93. Interior room seems about the same, but the 235 seems more responsive, having a "lighter feel" to it.

Performance-wise, I'm not an overly-aggressive driver, so I can be of little assistance in that area...

I don't think the 235 will disappoint you, if that's what you select...
    I don't drive on track often now (since I no longer live near one unlike before), so I don't really need the absolute top performance bimmer in terms of top speed or 0-60 time. I'm more interested in whether a new bimmer can provide that handling and agility at more realistic speed (in other words, real world driving condition) so the M235i does appeal to me in that sense.
    Last edited by Tomcat104; 09-18-2014 at 11:29 PM.

I don't drive on track often now (since I no longer live near one unlike before), so I don't really need the absolute top performance bimmer in terms of top speed or 0-60 time. I'm more interested in whether a new bimmer can provide that handling and agility at more realistic speed (in other words, real world driving condition) so the M235i does appeal to me in that sense.
    Seems like your driving patterns closely resemble mine. The 235 gives excellent road response. You really feel connected to the road and the car.

At least, that's how I feel when I'm driving mine...

My Cars
    BMWs and other stuff
    I am considering the M235 to replace my 2011 328i. would be interested in hearing thoughts on the interior. My 2011 has leather interior which has held up well after a bad experience with the leatherette in a 2008 I had before. If I get this car it will be a keeper so I want a durable material .
    Alpine White 2014 X3 M Sport
    Space Gray 2011 328i X Drive
    Titanium Silver 2012 X5 xDrive35d
    Red 1991 318i....my first BMW

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by WBZ View Post
    I am considering the M235 to replace my 2011 328i. would be interested in hearing thoughts on the interior. My 2011 has leather interior which has held up well after a bad experience with the leatherette in a 2008 I had before. If I get this car it will be a keeper so I want a durable material .
    Interior is pretty nice, honestly I don't notice a big difference between a new 3 series/4 series and a 2 other than size. And for the record a fully loaded 235i comes close really close to a 435. MSRP on my car was 50,400 and local dealer had a 435 with the m brakes etc for 52000. Could probably be talked down a bit as well. While nice I really like the dimensions of the 2 series. 4 feels really big to me, but it has more leg room in the rear that's for sure.

(And no my final price was not 50.5k hehe)

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

I have a 14 M235i with Terra leather interior. Frankly, there's not a lot of difference in appearance between the interior of it and my 10 328 cabrio, which also has leather.

The only significant difference to me is the softness of the leather (the 328 interior seems considerably softer to the touch), but I suspect the M235 's leather may wear better.

Just my thoughts...

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe
    Another question to those that own an M235i... Since the car has similar fuel economy as a 335i, is it a pain going to the pump every 450-500 km? My 335 goes about 600 km per tank, but the tank is 10 litres bigger than the 2er.

Quote Originally Posted by ocpinstead View Post
    Another question to those that own an M235i... Since the car has similar fuel economy as a 335i, is it a pain going to the pump every 450-500 km? My 335 goes about 600 km per tank, but the tank is 10 litres bigger than the 2er.
    I don't use my as a daily driver, so my experience really wouldn't apply...

My Cars
    08 135i
    Drive one. I found them boring and dull. A very generic car.

Quote Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but yours really doesn't match the vast majority of others' opinions.

However, I do agree that the best way to determine whether or not a vehicle is right for "you" is to spend some time behind the wheel of one. Every model can't be everything to everyone...

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post
    Just put of curiosity what do you find to be an exciting car? Because by most accounts the 235i is one of the more exciting bmws made in a very long time. Even compared with some of he the m models. Small nimble and powerful...

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    Just put of curiosity what do you find to be an exciting car? Because by most accounts the 235i is one of the more exciting bmws made in a very long time. Even compared with some of he the m models. Small nimble and powerful...
    Note that he owns a 135i?

Id imagine his opinion is a result of simply not wanting to admit the newer one is better. Such a mindset used to be common with any new generation, but from the 135 to the M235 BMW actually did improve a lot in terms of performance and feel, so Id imagine he test drove the car when he already had an idea in his head about it...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

On the subject of comparisons; how is the interior (driver seat) space of the 2 Series in comparison to the F30?

Currently have a 3 and feel the 4 is a bit bloated, even though I'm 6'4, 260lbs. Just hate big cars, so want to downsize, but remember the 1 Series being way too small for me.

My Cars
    M235i
    I have recently changed 335is manual for M235i auto. I think 235i is more fun to drive. It is mainly because it is smaller so the feeling of accelecation and speed is greater.

Quote Originally Posted by magicthechemist View Post
    I have recently changed 335is manual for M235i auto. I think 235i is more fun to drive. It is mainly because it is smaller so the feeling of accelecation and speed is greater.
    Thanks for the reply!

If your 335i was an F platform, was the size change noticeable? Think I'll go with the 228i with M Sport and the Track package. Michelin Pilot SS tires feel like they were hand made by God l and not RFTs to boot.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335i
    I own an M235i. I picked it up in March 2014 via Euro Delivery. Prior to this car I had a 2007 E90 335i and then a 2011 E90 335i. The front passenger compartment of my F22 is very similar in terms of size and layout to my pair of E90s and the rest of the car is smaller in a very very good way. I love driving my 235i much more than either of the E90s that I owned. Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    Last edited by rich8566; 12-24-2014 at 10:42 PM.