Thread: e38 fuel problem. HELP! :(

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740il

e38 fuel problem. HELP! :(

I have been having a problem with my '95 740il for a couple of weeks now. Long story short, it wouldn't start before leaving for an out of town trip and finally started until trying to leave to come back home. After it started, it wouldn't stay running unless under full throttle. Now, it won't start at all. A while back, a shop told me that i wasn't getting fuel pressure at the fuel pump, so now that my car doesn't start and remembering that, i replaced the fuel pump and checked the plug for power with a test light and its getting power. It still won't start In the past, i replaced the coil packs with BavAuto coils, changed the spark plugs, and had the fuel filters changed. Could someone help me with this issue? Throwing money at it and it not working is getting frustrating.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Have the SES/CEL codes read. Even if if the SES/CEL light isn't lit read the codes. That's always the first step. Always.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Have the SES/CEL codes read. Even if if the SES/CEL light isn't lit read the codes. That's always the first step. Always.
    It's a 1995 so there is no obd2 to read codes.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    If it isn't fuel pressure and you don't have a clogged fuel filter, I would try looking for vacuum leaks or check to see if your MAF is bad. Just unplug the MAF and if it starts right up and stays running then you know you have a bad sensor and it desperately needs to be replaced. If this doesn't solve the problem, then you will have to look elsewhere. I would quite strongly suggest asking this question on the e38 section of this forum, there are quite a few very knowledgeable people on there and many who have 95s with the m60 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentklein View Post
    It's a 1995 so there is no obd2 to read codes.
    You could try the stomp test and see what OBD1 codes come up.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite