Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Singaporean GP @ Marina Bay Street Circuit

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

2014 Singaporean GP @ Marina Bay Street Circuit

Least favourite track for me to be honest. I sense nothing but Mercedes domination again. I don't think RBR have their supreme aerodynamics this year and for this weekend to keep up with Mercs but will probably be the second leading team in the race. I have doubts for others too. Look at the points of the following drivers. Very close indeed. Similarly, some of the constructors are close as well.

Drivers Standings
    Championship Points
    Nico Rosberg 238
    Lewis Hamilton 216
    Daniel Ricciardo 166
    Valtteri Bottas 122
    Fernando Alonso 121
    Sebastian Vettel 106
    Jenson Button 72
    Nico Hulkenberg 70
    Felipe Massa 55
    Kimi Raikkonnen 41
    Sergio Perez 39
    Kevin Magnussen 38
    Jean-Eric Vergne 11
    Romain Grosjean 8
    Daniil Kvyat 8
    Jules Bianchi 2

Constructors Standings
    Championship Points
    Mercedes AMG 454
    RBR 272
    Williams 177
    Ferrari 162
    Mclaren 110
    Force India 109
    Scuderia Toro Rosso 19
    Lotus F1 8
    Marussia 2
    Sauber 0
    Caterham 0

By the way, I'm still waiting for someone to chime in and find out how many points do Mercedes need to win the constructor's championship title. I gave a try and claimed that they need 102 points to win ahead of RBR as of the current standings. I'm not so sure if I did it right or wrong but would be interested to see what can you come up with. Same number of points as me? Or different? Show me how you got there, as I've already explained mine in the last thread.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    I'm coming up with 119 points. If you add up all the points left for a 1-2 finish it is 301 with the double points. So if RB finishes 1-2 for the rest of the season and Merc doesn't score a point red bull will have that many. Merc is up by 182 subtract the two and you get 119 points which at that point RB can't statistically over come.
    Last edited by keeptheuroalive; 09-16-2014 at 06:20 AM.
    2007 BMW 335i: stock for the foreseeable future.
    BFC OT Cook Book 1st Editionhttp://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035694
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoeller View Post
    it always amazes me the things I see when I don't have a shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    How turbochargers work: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

My Cars
    WAGON
    The track is a little boring, but having the race at night is pretty cool.

My Cars
    TBD
    Yeah, I really like the night race. The cars and their liveries look awesome under the lights.

I expect the teams with traction issues (torque curves not suited to slow corners) to falter here: including RBR and Ferrari. while Merc and Williams will probably be on the podium again.... unless rain.

Someone who's good at rain dances should start the ball rolling

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yes, a night race is cool and I especially loved seeing unburned fuel flaming out of the exhaust. It's the track that just doesn't appeal to me.

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Yes, a night race is cool and I especially loved seeing unburned fuel flaming out of the exhaust. It's the track that just doesn't appeal to me.
    Agreed, it's not a great track but it's better than Valencia (if that's any consolation).

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    Agreed, it's not a great track but it's better than Valencia (if that's any consolation).
    The last two sections of the Valencia Circuit is superb in my view. I like it. The first section is a bit jam packed. Another track that doesn't really appeal to me is the Yas Marina Circuit.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Auaq what's your thoughts on my calculations? Still haven't seen anything saying what the number is and I'm still curious.
    BFC OT Cook Book 1st Editionhttp://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035694
    How turbochargers work: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptheuroalive View Post
    Auaq what's your thoughts on my calculations? Still haven't seen anything saying what the number is and I'm still curious.
    Hmm ... tried to give another try but I still end up getting the same numbers like I did last time.

I'm coming up with 119 points.
    Trying to figure how you got that number. I'm still getting 101 points and then you add 'one' more to it to get 102 points to win.

If you add up all the points left for a 1-2 finish it is 301 with the double points.
    We've got six races left including this upcoming weekend before the season ends. So, let's add up the numbers. First place finish and second place finish get 25 and 18 points. 25 + 18 = 43 points for a 1-2 victory for one team / or teammates. So, 43 x 6 races = 258. Add 25 (the double points) to this number and you get 283 points. Assuming that Mercedes score zero points from now on to the end whilst RBR score a perfect 1-2. The final tally numbers would be Mercedes standing @ 454 (454 + 0) points while RBR @ 555 (272 + 283) points. The difference is 101 points between the two of them. Adding that additional '1' gives you 102 points. Therefore, from my point of view, I see that Mercedes need 102 points in total to win the constructor's title.

Merc is up by 182 subtract the two and you get 119 points which at that point RB can't statistically over come.
    Still trying to figure out how you got those numbers.

Let's see what others can come up with.

My Cars
    TBD
    Forgot to mention yesterday that I read there's zero chance of rain during the race because they seed the clouds prior to the event to ensure a dry race.

My Cars
    2007 335i

Hmm ... tried to give another try but I still end up getting the same numbers like I did last time.

Trying to figure how you got that number. I'm still getting 101 points and then you add 'one' more to it to get 102 points to win.

We've got six races left including this upcoming weekend before the season ends. So, let's add up the numbers. First place finish and second place finish get 25 and 18 points. 25 + 18 = 43 points for a 1-2 victory for one team / or teammates. So, 43 x 6 races = 258. Add 25 (the double points) to this number and you get 283 points. Assuming that Mercedes score zero points from now on to the end whilst RBR score a perfect 1-2. The final tally numbers would be Mercedes standing @ 454 (454 + 0) points while RBR @ 555 (272 + 283) points. The difference is 101 points between the two of them. Adding that additional '1' gives you 102 points. Therefore, from my point of view, I see that Mercedes need 102 points in total to win the constructor's title.

Still trying to figure out how you got those numbers.

Let's see what others can come up with.
    Isnt it double for everyone or is it just double for first place? If not then that explains the 18 point difference and I forgot the extra 1 to fully win the title.
    Last edited by keeptheuroalive; 09-18-2014 at 11:42 AM.

My Cars
    My prediction: Merc will be WCC and either Nico or Lewis WDC. I don't really care when these happen exactly, but i will be here to enjoy the ride as it happens.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Yeah, I really like the night race. The cars and their liveries look awesome under the lights.

I expect the teams with traction issues (torque curves not suited to slow corners) to falter here: including RBR and Ferrari. while Merc and Williams will probably be on the podium again.... unless rain.

Someone who's good at rain dances should start the ball rolling
    Have we had rain at a night race yet? Will there be big problems with the lighting (lack of it and also reflections from wet surfaces) then?
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    It's only for the winner.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    It's only for the winner.
    Well that's some shit. Yes then you are correct with the number.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yep, so there we have it. 102 is the number if the conditions apply.

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    One of my favorite races actually, it's like the Monaco of Asia.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    One of my favorite races actually, it's like the Monaco of Asia.
    Meh ....

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.f1technical.net/news/1964...a8422d76b0c6be

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    https://twitter.com/DidPastorCrash

Nice to have an 8am qualifying tomorrow, no need to wake up at 3am or wait all day for torrents.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneZium View Post
    Have we had rain at a night race yet? Will there be big problems with the lighting (lack of it and also reflections from wet surfaces) then?
    I don't recall. However, even if there is rain the lighting has been setup to allow for it.. to ensure the driver's don't get glare/blinded etc.

However, Singapore has been seeding the clouds prior to every F1GP held there - hence no rain - even during this their monsoon season.

Just watched FP1 and FP2:

MadMal binned it into a wall - right hand side of this car fubared. Red flag to clear the car and debris. Pretty sure he's used at least a quarter of his sponsorship money for car repairs.
    Seb in the final minutes of FP1 had an engine failure (combustion engine) so they too 3.5 hours to install a new one and he was back in FP2 with 7.5 minutes to go. Unfortunately Chiton's turbo caught fire so there were yellow flags.
    Ferrari's are flying - but I think they always look good in practice and in the race they falter a little. The exact opposite of a few years ago.
    Quickest was Lewis - Nico couldn't get a time because his fast lap was when the Maldo crashed and brought out the red flag.

The Mercs are still the team to beat.

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Does Maldonado ever not crash?

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    I don't recall. However, even if there is rain the lighting has been setup to allow for it.. to ensure the driver's don't get glare/blinded etc.

However, Singapore has been seeding the clouds prior to every F1GP held there - hence no rain - even during this their monsoon season.
    I'd still expect some difficulties with lighting during the rain. Maybe they really do have such amazing equipment that they can make it work in the rain too.

Good that they're seeding the clouds in Singapore, though Bernie might sabotage that operation...I don't know if it's because he's British or that he loves the chaos of wet races, but he wants that downpour!

I've read some reports that Ferraris, especial Kimi's, are experiencing technical issues with ERS and overheating brakes. We'll see later this weekend whether or not they get the ERS issues sorted or if it'll montezemolo (quit).

I have no idea what to expect from Williams. Anyone know if they're really having issues with pace or have they just not done their quickest pulls?
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    TBD
    Kimi's brakes were on fire (front left) as he was driving in the pits back to his box. Literally - flames. Normally the little brake fans are enough to put them out but they needed a few puffs from a fire extinguisher. Didn't hear anything about his ERS. Marco Matiacci and Alonso seemed to be getting along well ... laughing together.

Williams seems to always be doing their own "things" and not worried about times. The cars never looked bad but they didn't put up any relevant times either. Bottas has a few lock ups that I witnessed so it's not like he's not trying. I expect they are full of fuel and sandbagging.

Waiting to get a valid FP3 and quali to watch since it's now 8PM in Singapore.

I've forgotten how amazing it is to see they guys going flat out just inches away from the walls, especially now that the cars are a lot more twitchy and when the rear steps out I literally catch myself gulping.

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Great qualifying. Shame Kimi couldn't finish P3, Ferrari has some legitimate pace here.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast