Thread: M6 PROJECT WANTED, Cheap, cruddy, needs restoration/repair

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM

M6 PROJECT WANTED, Cheap, cruddy, needs restoration/repair

So Ive missed out on two M6 projects as of late which has gotten me thinking. Im making veeeeeeerrrrry slow progress on my Frank///MStein project so why not keep that one a m30 beater and just rebuild an M6 thats already whole.

Im not picky on rust, Im currently rebuilding almost every body panel on a 74 bronco.. it doesnt scare me.

I dont care if its been running in the last couple years.

What I do want/ would enjoy, is world bumpers and all the pieces on the car. Like not half parted.

You can reach me at rhinowebb@g mail. or pm me here!

Now, I know cheap M6s are rare, and non running almost as rare. But Im going to keep bumping this thread til I fond one. Thanks everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

Just stumbled upon this one.. awaiting a call..

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/4655341116.html

My Cars
    1984 Euro 635
    I have stumbled across 5 M6 projects in the past 6 months. All under $7K. If I had the money, I would buy every single one of em regardless of condition. One's deemed not suitable to restore would be donors for the ones that are and the rest can be parted out.
    '84 Euro 635
    '88 M6 (Gone but not forgotten)

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    Indeed, keep an eye out man! Im still going back and fourth with just plugging along on my project Ive already got... but Im a sucker for new toys.

My Cars
    '85 635/'00 RD R50
    Quote Originally Posted by 6erWEBB View Post
    Indeed, keep an eye out man! Im still going back and fourth with just plugging along on my project Ive already got... but Im a sucker for new toys.
    In my part of the world, but presumably with no/minimum rust.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...664494878.html

It has been on/off for sale at various prices for a while.
    Tom
    Present: '06 530xiT | '00 RD R50 |'88 635CSI (project) | '85 635CSi

Past:
    '08 X3 l '98 Z3 MT l '95 M3 MT l'84 325e MT
    R.I.P.:
    '87 L6 | 85 635CSi MT | '80 320i MT

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    That is an amazingly low amount of miles but.. its only a bit out of my price range.. and distance range.

think theyd take 5k? :P

So wait, its a euro car with US bumpers? Canadian? If I email em would you go check it out for me????
    Last edited by 6erWEBB; 09-12-2014 at 10:59 PM.

My Cars
    '85 635/'00 RD R50
    I'm confused by the diving boards as well. But, would this be the first time someone mislabeled a car on Craigslist? Or maybe it had repairs, or some weird federalization process.

This car has listed before for less, and did not sell. I'm convinced that the seller would take anything half reasonable.

And, let me see how far this place actually is, but I could check it out, if you get any kind of satisfactory response from the seller!
    Tom

Past:
    R.I.P.:

My Cars
    85 M635/71 3.0CSi/03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by bimas View Post
    In my part of the world, but presumably with no/minimum rust. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...664494878.html It has been on/off for sale at various prices for a while.
    What in the world happened to that car lol...
    Kai Xing
    -85 M635CSi - Diamondschwartz
    -08 M5 6-Speed - Black Sapphire
    -70 Chang Jiang 750 Sidecar - Army Green

My Cars
    '85 635/'00 RD R50
    Quote Originally Posted by xing6666 View Post
    What in the world happened to that car lol...
    Right? Presumably a nice Euro car...loooong time ago.
    Tom

Past:
    R.I.P.:

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    So, I emailed a couple guys including the above... and may have lowballed them a bit hard.

I did run across a pretty sweet 635 in florida that Im considering. Thatd allow me to continue on my own build..

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    So, I emailed a couple guys including the above... and may have lowballed them a bit hard. I did run across a pretty sweet 635 in florida that Im considering. Thatd allow me to continue on my own build..
    Where in Florida?

Also I may know of a M635 project in Florida. Not mine. Think it's an 84 model year, obviously a euro. No rust, runs but does require paint, some bodywork on rear drivers side quarter, mechanical updating I'm sure, plus interior. It's all complete inside and out. It has some good history. I can put you I touch with the owner if you like but I can also tell you that low balling this one won't fly. Seller might take 8k but doubt lower than that. No relation to seller and not involved in selling it or the sale if anything were to come of it. I simply know it exists. It's not advertised any place and I don't think it has been...

Max
    Regards

Max
    ---------------
    88 BMW M6 60,000 original Miles or 97,000KM's (Canadian spec example)
    89 BMW 325ix Dinan Turbo 69000 original Miles
    72 Triumph STAG 37000 original Miles

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    Hey Max, its in smyrna beach, near orlando. The enticing thing about the 635 is that it seems pretty nice at a really low price and its ready to drive.

Its hilarious, and beggars cant be choosy, but my budget for an m6 project is... a bit low. 8 is more than I have right now.

The other thing is I found a fellow that has an s38 standalone with coilpacks and everything already built up that he may be willing to sell me (which was going to be a big hurtle for me on my own project) so again another reason to stay the course.

I must say Im amazed at how many cheap-ish M6s Im seeing come out of the woodwork. Am I the only one that would be interested in such cars?

My Cars
    1984 Euro 635
    I am interested in ALL of them, but "driver carries no cash"...
    '84 Euro 635
    '88 M6 (Gone but not forgotten)

My Cars
    85 M635/71 3.0CSi/03 M5
    Am I the only one that would be interested in such cars?
    Probably now, yes - one of the few. When these cars are worth 50k in the distant future, then cheap cars will be worth buying to restore. But when a pristine m car struggles to bring 20k, it makes no sense (to me) to buy a $6k project. Mechanicals are specific and expensive on the m cars and and at a car with that price point, you're looking at a lot of that plus body/paint work which is expensive on any car. If you buy a mystery box and then have to do timing chains plus a full refresh (or risk a blown engine) that's 1k+ off the bat. A bunch of hoses, lines, fluids, bushings and other suspension components, paint/body, interior work etc etc and you might as well have bought that clean looking euro m6 in west palm on eBay a few weeks ago for $16k.

If you're just looking for a beater, I kinda have a reserved "ohhh kay" attitude about it, where sure, you don't worry about specifics, but at the same time, these cars need to be maintained and that's expensive... The m30 cars might be a better option if you just want cheap, reliable transportation with readily available and very inexpensive new and used parts.

You'd be hard pressed to find a m car worth having for less than 9-10k in my opinion - and honestly - that's pushing it. A clean, well sorted m-car with some aesthetic stuff needed is realistically a 13-14k car in today's market. But lower than that, you're asking for trouble if budget is an issue. Again... Just one man's opinion.
    Last edited by xing6666; 09-14-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Kai Xing
    -85 M635CSi - Diamondschwartz
    -08 M5 6-Speed - Black Sapphire
    -70 Chang Jiang 750 Sidecar - Army Green

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    The ones I keep seeing vs the super nice m30 cars for the same prices are whats making me think the same. I had high hopes but this is the part of Webb you cant really get via internet.. Im a dreamer.

A big part of me wishes I had the cash to buy a handful of these cheap ones and sit on them because ONE DAY, they will be worth something.

My Cars
    84 M635
    Quote Originally Posted by maxg765 View Post
    Where in Florida?

Also I may know of a M635 project in Florida. Not mine. Think it's an 84 model year, obviously a euro. No rust, runs but does require paint, some bodywork on rear drivers side quarter, mechanical updating I'm sure, plus interior. It's all complete inside and out. It has some good history. I can put you I touch with the owner if you like but I can also tell you that low balling this one won't fly. Seller might take 8k but doubt lower than that. No relation to seller and not involved in selling it or the sale if anything were to come of it. I simply know it exists. It's not advertised any place and I don't think it has been...

Max
    I'm looking for that exact motor! I need to land it in Lutz FL. A S38B36 even better. Let me know if you dont end up taking the motor.

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    Go ahead dude! I think Ive got a solid lead on something neat up in Cincinnati!

My Cars
    84 M635
    OK! could you PM info please?

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatso7 View Post
    I'm looking for that exact motor! I need to land it in Lutz FL. A S38B36 even better. Let me know if you dont end up taking the motor.
    Are you in Lutz (your profile location says San Jose)? If so, where? Haven't seen another 6 around here in I don't know how many years. Shoot me a PM if you're local.

My Cars
    84 M635
    My Engine builder is in Lutz.... I need the motor to go to him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gatso7 View Post
    So, do you really have a lead?

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Sorry, no lead. Just thought we could get together if you were local, and compare cars. Didn't have a clue there was a high-end engine guy in the neighborhood.

My Cars
    84 M635
    Quote Originally Posted by dcains View Post
    Sorry, no lead. Just thought we could get together if you were local, and compare cars. Didn't have a clue there was a high-end engine guy in the neighborhood.

The guy I'm going to is a mavrick. He built the first 2L turbo charged motor for toyota that went 200mph. It's at the toyota headquarters in Torrance Ca. He also designed and built their Nascar truck motors that were subsequently outlawed because they were so competitive. His name is Robert Fulco. I know him through the racing contacts I do work with.

The build isn't cheap but the results will be there.

P.S. I was talking about 6erwebb when he said "go ahead dude" about the engine lead. I guess it wasn't too genuine...Oh well

My Cars
    1978 635Csi, 1988 735iM
    Look back at the posts man, that wasnt me unless youre talking about the base 635..

xing6666 had knowledge of an M6 in Fl...

Also, maxg765 mentioned a m635 in Fl. Id suggest Pm'ing them both as they may not come back and check this thread.
    Last edited by 6erWEBB; 09-19-2014 at 07:11 PM.

My Cars
    86 635csi 98 740i 96 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by xing6666 View Post
    Probably now, yes - one of the few. When these cars are worth 50k in the distant future, then cheap cars will be worth buying to restore. But when a pristine m car struggles to bring 20k, it makes no sense (to me) to buy a $6k project. Mechanicals are specific and expensive on the m cars and and at a car with that price point, you're looking at a lot of that plus body/paint work which is expensive on any car. If you buy a mystery box and then have to do timing chains plus a full refresh (or risk a blown engine) that's 1k+ off the bat. A bunch of hoses, lines, fluids, bushings and other suspension components, paint/body, interior work etc etc and you might as well have bought that clean looking euro m6 in west palm on eBay a few weeks ago for $16k.

If you're just looking for a beater, I kinda have a reserved "ohhh kay" attitude about it, where sure, you don't worry about specifics, but at the same time, these cars need to be maintained and that's expensive... The m30 cars might be a better option if you just want cheap, reliable transportation with readily available and very inexpensive new and used parts.

You'd be hard pressed to find a m car worth having for less than 9-10k in my opinion - and honestly - that's pushing it. A clean, well sorted m-car with some aesthetic stuff needed is realistically a 13-14k car in today's market. But lower than that, you're asking for trouble if budget is an issue. Again... Just one man's opinion.
    Hi Kai,

You are so right. I think that some of us forget that a well cared for, fully updated car has cost the owner thousands in order to keep it prestine.

A buyer will be so much more ahead of the game purchasing a higher priced well sorted no rust package, than a fixer upper.

It's like "Pay me now - or - Pay me later".

In the long run, I think you're better off getting a small loan to buy the better sorted car, than to make payments to parts and time to sort out a resto project.

Just my $.02

Bob V
    Last edited by 1986series6; 09-20-2014 at 07:41 AM.