Thread: HELP! Ants in my E39!!

My Cars
    E39 540i, E30 325i

HELP! Ants in my E39!!

Hey guys,

As you can see from the subject of this thread, ants have invaded my precious E39. I just moved from Washington State to Virginia to attend law school, and not even a month into the first semester my 540i has ants everywhere. They're the really tiny kind, not black or red ants. I normally keep my car very clean, but I found a sandwich bad in my trunk that had a bunch of them living in it, so I promptly threw it away. After I thought I had dealt with the problem, I opened up the rear doors because I saw a bunch of them crawling around the cracks. Sure enough, there were dozens and dozens of them in the rear door jams, probably because those doors don't really open much. They were clustered around a bunch of white crap, which may be their eggs or something. I don't have a vacuum right now, but I was planning on getting one soon anyway. I also washed my car on Sunday, and there was no evidence of ants then. Does anyone have any advice? This really sucks and I want to get rid of them ASAP!

Thanks,

Joe

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Put one of those traps with terro oil in it. If you keep parking your car in the same place they might keep coming back. Also talk to your neighbors. Maybe it's a common problem and they have a way to deal wit it.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    Bmw
    They are just hard workers, preparing for winter
    Life is like a car wash and I'm on a bicycle.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    The best ant poison I've ever used was Grants Ant Stakes. The ants take the poison back to their nest, and pretty soon they're all dead. Maybe not ideal, but if you're gonna go this way...
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    They also hate chalk and diatomaceous earth.

I will bet you don't leave food in the car after this. Good luck!
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

My Cars
    '09 335i, '88 M6, '00 M5
    Second on the Terro liquid ant baits, as I've found them to be quite effective around the house. They're a mixture of borax and sugar water, so fairly nontoxic by 'poison' standards. You'll have to be careful to set them up in the right position so they don't spill when the car moves around. Perhaps put one in a tupperware container to capture any spills.
    "Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
    SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R lowering springs

"Greta": '00 M5 Titansilber / Grau-Schwartz
    Euro Hellas, e-Light control module, muffler delete

"Cosette": '09 335i Titansilber / Schwartz
    Just trying to keep the stock N54 running without throwing codes.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Terro is good stuff, I break it out when ever I have ant problems at my house. However I am not sure the ants you are having trouble with are sweet eating ants, if they aren't they wont really care for the terro.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    My Grandma's Car

My Cars
    1996 BMW 750il
    Ants HATE diatomaceous earth.

Also, don't spill food or drink in your car. Ants LOVE food and drink....especially sweet food and drink.
    Last edited by 1fatcat; 09-13-2014 at 11:07 PM.