Thread: Air Flow Intake Kits - 1999 M3 convertible - what's best?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertable

Air Flow Intake Kits - 1999 M3 convertible - what's best?

In looking to increase efficiency in my M3e, the air intake system is no exception. There are several on the market and I'm looking for comments ranging from what seems best to which ones are a waste of dollars. Some have a plastic housing around them to dampen the noise while others are completely open. Does the box restrict the airflow and the open ones seem better?

I think the box you might be referring to is a heat shield for your intake so your not sucking up hot air

My Cars
    1991 325i
    From what I remember the only intake thats worth anything is the one that mounts the air inlet down in the airdam. I think it was an afe or dinan design.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    z3
    The stock air intake system is a true cold air intake. It ducts air from in front of the car at a high pressure zone (right in front of the bumper) intaking cold air from outside the engine bay. Cold air, and high pressure zone.

Most aftermarket intakes go straight down right behind the bumper, taking in air from the engine bay (hot air, undesirable) and from a low pressure zone. The better designed systems have a heat shield (what you say dampens noise is to prevent hot air coming in). But its still taking in air from a low pressure zone unless its diverted from the brake duct or grill.

So generally, OEM is best. You can take out the helmholtz resonator to make it sound cooler, but the helmholtz resonator serves a purpose to increase power (which is yet another design feature you will lose by going with a CAI...)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!