Thread: Bmw E39 M5 Enthusiast Buyers Guide!

My Cars
    2003 Dinan e46 M3

Bmw E39 M5 Enthusiast Buyers Guide!

Hey guys,

Ever wonder what it takes to own an E39 M5? Check out this Enthusiast Buyers Guide for the E39 M5! What do you think?

http://www.schnelllist.com/buyers-gu...-bmw-e39-m5-bg

bmw-m5-e39-tuning-car-wallpaper-1680x1050_zps439fb1d9.jpg

609265-2000x1200_zps8f7ee4c4.jpg

lX4LPyM_zps7044cfcc.jpg

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Cool, thanks for posting.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    It is a nice post it should be used with a bit of caution, some of that data is either wrong our out of date. The second sentence for example states that the M62 is found in the 545i, this is not the case, it was found in the 540i, the 545i wasn't introduced until the following generation 5 series the e60.

Also the quotes for price per year seems a bit low for cost to maintain. $2000 per year would be a much better estimate if you are trying to keep everything perfect.

People rag on late 90s BMW sound systems, but they really are not that bad. I have the factory M-Audio setup in my M5 and I think it really rocks. Sure it isn't the most bass heavy system in the world but it is more then enough to give the average person a headache after listening to it for 20 minutes with the bass turned all the way up.

And changing the oil every 7500 miles is asking for a date with your spun main bearings. My personal experience is that my M5 does not like going much beyond 5k miles on a change of oil, there become a point where it goes from using no oil to eating a quart very quickly.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Is the engine oil type Castrol 10W-60 a must, mandatory from BMW?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    And changing the oil every 7500 miles is asking for a date with your spun main bearings. My personal experience is that my M5 does not like going much beyond 5k miles on a change of oil, there become a point where it goes from using no oil to eating a quart very quickly.
    I service many M5's and most are on 7500 oil change intervals for many years and none burn any more oil now than they did when they started that interval. If the oil comes out clean at 7500 that oil change interval is fine. If its dirtied by 7500 miles the interval needs to be lowered and there is something else going on inside the engine that needs to be addressed.

The recommended interval is actually 15,000 so 7,500 represents half that which is prudent enough for most of even the hardest of hard core enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    Is the engine oil type Castrol 10W-60 a must, mandatory from BMW?
    Yes

Castrol TWS 10w60 to be specific

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 330i ZHP
    Can you run Royal Purple 10w-60 in these engines? The M motors run solid lifters where non M ones have hydraulic. Foes there have to be a valve adjustment at some point?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post
    Can you run Royal Purple 10w-60 in these engines? The M motors run solid lifters where non M ones have hydraulic. Foes there have to be a valve adjustment at some point?
    If by Royal Purple 10w60 you mean Castrol TWS 10w60 then yes. If you mean Royal Purple 10w60 then no. Well technically you can run whatever you want to in the car, you can run canola oil if you wanted to, but the engine was designed to run on Castrol TWS 10w60 and anything other than that is not ideal and will lead to premature wear and possibly premature failure.

The S62 has hydraulic lifters and does not need adjustment. The S54 (E46 M3, 01-02 Z3M, Z4M) has solid lifters and needs regular adjustments/shims. The S62 is an extremely reliable engine, in my personal experience, it is more reliable than the non-M engines in the E39 chassis. It has a beefier cooling system, dual row timing chain means timing chain guide failures are way less common, the few issues (VANOS, notably) the S62 does have plague all engines from it's era be it M or non-M.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 330i ZHP
    What is the difference between TWS 10w60 and regular 10w60 oil? Is it the additive?