Thread: What do you think of this deal?

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport

What do you think of this deal?

I've been shopping around for a while, and finally found this guy selling this 525i with about 90,000 original miles. He is getting back from Germany on 9/15, and I really want to get it then. Can any of you see anything wrong with this car? Blue book in excellent is $6100, so the price seems reasonable if it runs perfect.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4610857259.html

If I were to look at it, what are common issues to check out, and what should I look for as far as places where things can go bad. I'm obviously going to buy the carfax before even looking at it, but I'm not getting it yet as he might sell it to someone else before me.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by pajamas95 View Post
    Can any of you see anything wrong with this car?
    Not without a PDI and a Carfax to start, no.

My Cars
    92 535i, 93 325is 01 X5
    I wouldn't buy anything that close to book personally. But that being said, paying a shop you trust the 100 bucks or whatever the rate, is worth every dollar to know what you are getting

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    In my neck of the woods, that would be an extremely great deal.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat .. but then again it has everything I like in a e39: facelift headlights, celis tails, sport package, those wheels, manual trans ... yeah ... pretty much my favorite e39 setup there.

My Cars
    z3
    I find better deals in LA every day, how could you have been shopping around for "a while" and a normal 525i at full retail price is the first "deal" you think you found?

and lol@blue book

Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    it has everything I like in a e39: facelift headlights, celis tails, sport package, those wheels, manual trans ... yeah ... pretty much my favorite e39 setup there.
    So its a facelift manual sport model. AKA pretty common.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    Without a ppi.. Pre purchase inspection you could get a good deal on the car cause it needs a lot of work.. I recently gave a 7,800 estimate to a customer who just bought the car and it just broke down on him.. Less than 2 weeks. He did buy 2,100$ of the estimate but, That's just so he could drive it again.
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress - for sale
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport
    I was thinking of offering $5500, and paying a good BMW mechanic the extra $500 to come take a look at it with me. I also mentioned that I was going to buy the carfax before looking at it as I have seen people get completely burned without one before. Also, I learned myself last March when I almost got a '03 330i sport w/ manual, but when I got the carfax, it had ~100k more miles on it (over his reported ~120k) and he was selling it for $3500. No Way!

As for finding better deals, I have been looking for a month a least, and this is the first I have found under 100k miles, in my price range, and in the combo I wanted (sport, manual, wheels, interior color). If you were to find something good in So Cal, let me know as I haven't found anything better within 100 miles of me.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Take it to a shop with owner and pay them $100 or so to check out everything on the car. While they are doing that go thru the receipts to check work and ask questions. Once ppi is done take the list and whittle down the price to the $4-5000 range.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Take it to a shop with owner and pay them $100 or so to check out everything on the car. While they are doing that go thru the receipts to check work and ask questions. Once ppi is done take the list and whittle down the price to the $4-5000 range.
    Sounds like a good idea, and I found a good mechanic who said he should be able to do the full inspection for less than $100 if I bring it to him.