Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Italian GP @ Monza

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

2014 Italian GP @ Monza

Looking forward to 350-360 km/h speeds in top gear. Although I'm not too sure if we will ever see speeds in excess of 340 km/h let alone 360 km/h on the back straight. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the highest speed record here is 373 km/h set by David Coulthard in his Mclaren back in 1997. We will however know it during the practice sessions. Should be a lot easier start for most of the front runners off the line to the first turn. Couple of things to note are how the teams manage their ERS+Turbo+Cooling as this track is known for have a higher wide open throttle percentage compared to other tracks, I think many will run the medium compound tyres here for majority of the race, and I'm not too sure about the useage of DRS although I would think that everybody will use it, without any doubt, whether it makes a negligence difference or not. Mercedes, Williams, and now RBR should be the one to look out for. I mention RBR because back at Spa they decided to have a lower downforce setup and a higher trap speed or less wing and were observed to have the highest trap speeds. This played a huge role for them especially for Ric as he's closing the gap to Hamilton and once again will be another winning factor here. Again, Mercedes aren't going to change their plans regarding their drivers and their roles/priorities. They don't care about who's cussing, who's leading, who's crying, as long as both of them are 1-2 they are happy with that. Only restriction is to absolutely avoid making any contact with each other right from the start to the checkered flag. You are most welcome to fight each other, but don't take out each other. Simple isn't it? Or is it? ..........

Drivers Standings
    Championship Pionts
    Nico Rosberg 220
    Lewis Hamilton 191
    Daniel Ricciardo 156
    Fernando Alonso 121
    Valtteri Bottas 110
    Sebastian Vettel 98
    Nico Hulkenberg 70
    Jenson Button 68
    Felipe Massa 40
    Kimi Raikkonen 39
    Kevin Magnussen 37
    Sergio Perez 33
    Jean-Eric Vergne 11
    Romain Grosjean 8
    Daniil Kvyat 8
    Jules Bianchi 2

Constructors Standings
    Championship Points
    Mercedes AMG 411
    Red Bull Racing 254
    Ferrari 160
    Williams 150
    Mclaren 105
    Force India 103
    Scuderia Toro Rosso 19
    Lotus 8
    Marussia 2
    Sauber 0
    Caterham 0

My Cars
    1998 e36
    the highest speed record here is 373 km/h set by David Coulthard in his Mclaren back in 1997.
    But that was real F1, 3.0L V12 hi revving screaming engines. Not these 1.6L V6 weed whacker kids stuff.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    But that was real F1, 3.0L V12 hi revving screaming engines. Not these 1.6L V6 weed whacker kids stuff.
    So that was in 1995 and or before? I thought it was David Coulthard who set the record in 1997 in his Mclaren Mercedes? From 1996 almost every team were running V10 engines including Ferrari for the first time ever. I can't remember if there were anymore V12 engines after 1995.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, after doing a little bit more of homework I come to find out that, yes, Mr. David Coulthard did set the speed record first in 1999 at 361.8 km/h but was later broken by a new one set by Antonio Pizzonia driving the FW26 powered by BMW Williams F1 car in 2004 at a speed of 369.9 km/h (229.8 mph).

My Cars
    1998 e36
    V10 or V12 fine for me. The 2004 had the fastest cars ever for F1. Today's cars are at least 5 seconds slower

My Cars
    Traction control and tire/engine wars will do that.

You would shit your pants in a current F1 car.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    V10 or V12 fine for me. The 2004 had the fastest cars ever for F1. Today's cars are at least 5 seconds slower
    Well, yes, obviously who wouldn't love to see the comeback of the V10's and V12's. And, yes, 2004 had one of the fastest cars of all time although a few lap records were then broken again in 2005. Not pointing out to Ferrari only but to all cars generally speaking when you compare them before and after 2004.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    i thought it was JP Montoya who did 372km/h in 2005
    http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227...ected-at-Monza
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    i thought it was JP Montoya who did 372km/h in 2005
    http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227...ected-at-Monza
    Interesting. I know that BMW Williams had a lot of power but didn't know that they still broke their own record once more. Oh well, at least we know that 360+ km/h were common back then. During the V8 era we saw a 20 km/h speed drop so far. Now lets see what these 2014 turbo cars and with 8th gear will achieve on the long straight. My guess will be somewhere in 350+ km/h.

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    I don't see anything other than Mercedes domination happening this weekend. Probably ROS HAM BOT on the podium.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    I hope Williams can at least stir the mix a little.....
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    I don't see anything other than Mercedes domination happening this weekend. Probably ROS HAM BOT on the podium.
    Well, lets not count out RBR just in case if they do decide to run less down force.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    I hope Williams can at least stir the mix a little.....
    I hope so too.

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Well, lets not count out RBR just in case if they do decide to run less down force.
    It's Monza, every car will have a low downforce package.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    TBD
    True, but RBR can run even less wing because the floor (chassis) makes more downforce than anyone else... probably barring Merc at this point but either way they are close.

I'd like to RBR with no wing Still probably have more DF than Sauber and Caterham.

My Cars
    Ferrari tipped to shit the bed this weekend.

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Hamilton's car not starting, hasn't run in FP2 yet.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Speed traps from the first practice session.

http://www.formula1.com/results/seas...peed_trap.html

Speed traps from the second practice session.

http://www.formula1.com/results/seas...peed_trap.html

My Cars
    95' BMW 325i
    its the last year of this event, isn't it?

_________USMC 2003-07 0811 & 0814_________

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Now lets see what these 2014 turbo cars and with 8th gear will achieve on the long straight. My guess will be somewhere in 350+ km/h.
    Not sure if they're using 8th gear at all. I've never seen it used this year (though I could've missed some occasion where someone might have). The brief time I was watching practice I didn't see anyone use higher than 7th. Supposedly the engine's characteristics make using an 8-gear setup less optimal or something. But I would've thought this is the circuit to finally use all the gears available...

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome to see Ferrari challenging in quali pace. I doubt they'll be able to quite hang on to them in the race though. Williams a bit off from being right there in quail, but will hopefully improve again in the race pace.

I definitely expect Red Bull to be very fast in the race, possibly worrying Mercedes even! They're really going to need great starts and good overtakes in the beginning of the race.

I wonder how Hamilton will lose the fight for a podium finish in this race?

Awesome season.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I have a feeling that Ric is somehow going to interrupt Mercedes programme once more .....

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Ok, so I was wrong: they are using 8th gear in Monza.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Rosberg has gearbox issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, Mercedes lock the front row but now the question is what or who is going to come out of the first turn?

My Cars
    '07 E92 335i
    Mercedes engines dominating the front of the grid with the exception of Force India.

Another disappointing qualifying by Kimi. We know he's capable of more since he's gotten podiums and a win with Lotus, it just looks like he can't get used to a car built around Fernando.

flickr
    BMW CCA #444326
    come see bought me

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
    Mercedes engines dominating the front of the grid with the exception of Force India.

Another disappointing qualifying by Kimi. We know he's capable of more since he's gotten podiums and a win with Lotus, it just looks like he can't get used to a car built around Fernando.
    Yep, I've been saying it for a while in order for Kimi to win is to build the car around him and not with or by Alonso, but will that ever happen? ....... Nobody knows.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by danny123 View Post
    its the last year of this event, isn't it?
    Supposedly. Probably Bernie bluffing to get more money out of them, but no way they don't run in Monza next year. Ferrari would be livid not having a home gp.

You never will let it go will you. Every damn thread you come in and complain. We get it you don't like the new engines.

Looking forward to another exciting race. Spa was great in the middle of the pack and I'm hoping this is the same.
    2007 BMW 335i: stock for the foreseeable future.
    BFC OT Cook Book 1st Editionhttp://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035694
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoeller View Post
    it always amazes me the things I see when I don't have a shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    How turbochargers work: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yeah, this is just another day, another bluff from Bernie about keeping the Monza or not. Just another day in F1 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast