Thread: E36: Clutch dragging, thoughts?

My Cars
    1998 328is

E36: Clutch dragging, thoughts?

Hi all,

Recently had my clutch professionally changed.

Put in a used M3 dual mass flywheel and pressure plate (said to have ~5K miles), and a TRM segmented ceramic clutch disc. ZF transmission with 185K Kilometers (not miles), original transmission with the car (boosted 328is, 320lbs of RWTQ)

New throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and bilstein clutch slave. Original clutch pivot pin (plastic, said to be OK by my mechanic)

The problem I'm having is the clutch is dragging at low RPM's. Mostly when I am in reverse, as soon as I come to a stop in reverse, it will not get into any other gear. In order to get moving, I will wait, but more often than not I have to put excessive force to get into first gear (which I don't like doing and I know is bad for the synchros)

Has anyone else experienced this? recommendations to remedy it?

I have ordered a UUC stainless steel clutch line, hoping that may be of help.

Would appreciate any feedback! Thank you.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Dunno why you wouldn't replace pivot pin while ur in there, and i dunno from personal experience but i've heard that pressure plates should not be re-used. Ru sure u don't have a clutch stop blocking it?

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Dunno why you wouldn't replace pivot pin while ur in there, and i dunno from personal experience but i've heard that pressure plates should not be re-used. Ru sure u don't have a clutch stop blocking it?
    Thanks for the reply CMG

I don't know why the pivot pin wasn't replaced either, but it was said to have lots of length and to be fine.

I just checked for a clutch stop. there is one but it is threaded all the way to the floor. i removed it and it will probably be a difference of 2 or 3MM's but you never know.

The car shifts great under boost and heavy load. it is only when i am in reverse and trying to get into first (when the car is hot). i back out of a garage every morning and go into first and i have never had clutch drag in those instances (when the car is cold).

My Cars
    1998 328is
    figured out the issue...

clutch stop removed.. clutch is over engaging... put clutch stop back in, and adjusted it accordingly.. problem solved