Thread: Buying a BMW. Need input

My Cars
    '07 saab 9-3 2.0. Turbo

Buying a BMW. Need input

Hey guys, I'm new to bimmer forums and have a some questions.
    I've been shopping for a BMW for awhile now and I finally have enough money to get one. I've saved up $15k and could probably get another $4-6$k If needed. I've got some classmates who's parents have passed down their E39's, E46's, E60's, and E90's, etc.... And I would like to get a Beemer of my own. I'm a junior in high school but I'm driving my dad's 2007 Saab 9-3 turbo until I get my own car.

i was thinking of a newer used car mainly for reliability but I'm debating whether to get a 3 or a 5 series. I was also thinking of an older M model and using whatever moneys left over to tune it up.

Like I said I'm newer to this but I'm definitely committed to sometype of BMW. Preferably I would like a car with a some power but I just don't know what to buy.

This is guy at the lot down the street has a 2007 335i with some sports package. I had a question with that aswell. When they have a sports package installed does it change the name like the 335ix or whatever.

I'm open to suggestions and taking my time until I know exactly what I want.
    Thanks everyone!!

My Cars
    1998 540 6sp
    The "x" means all wheel drive

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    Being that you're still in high school, how are you going to get the money for maintenance?

My advice to you would be to browse this forum to see what kind of costs come with owning a BMW, and if you feel you can afford it, go for it.

If you do get a 335 or other high powered car, please don't kill yourself.

I am old enough to be your grandfather, so you can take my advise anyway you want.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328I Vert
    I'm new too! I have had a 94' 325i convertible and I currently own a 97' 328i convertible. Just purchased it this week I love my car. I would opt for a M if I was you. Everyone has their own style they like. Drive all of the ones you like and then see what you think. I find the e36 series and the 3 series is my style. Good Luck!!!

My Cars
    1997 328is
    If you are inclined to work on your car and pay for maintenance yourself, stick with something not too computerized. An E46 or E36 would be nice. I found it hard to find a reasonably priced E30, but if you can, more power to you. Unless you need the space, get a 3 series. It'll handle better, use less gas, and has cheaper parts.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissypoo View Post
    I've saved up $15k...I'm a junior in high school but I'm driving my dad's 2007 Saab 9-3 turbo until I get my own car.
    Man, you have a great start to a great future!!! Use the $ you saved for college, NOT a BMW! Seriously, DO NOT BUY A BMW NOW!!! Continue your education and get a very good paying job, then you can afford to buy a brand new BMW. Any Bimmer you buy now with $15k is going to break you in repairs and maintenance...can't afford college, stuck at a low paying job, scrounging for repair money...

I don't know you, but I hope you take me seriously. Your savings will be best spent on a college education...not a used BMW.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fatcat View Post
    Man, you have a great start to a great future!!! Use the $ you saved for college, NOT a BMW! Seriously, DO NOT BUY A BMW NOW!!! Continue your education and get a very good paying job, then you can afford to buy a brand new BMW. Any Bimmer you buy now with $15k is going to break you in repairs and maintenance...can't afford college, stuck at a low paying job, scrounging for repair money...

I don't know you, but I hope you take me seriously. Your savings will be best spent on a college education...not a used BMW.
    This is all dependent on if you work on your own car or not. Im on my 3rd e30 and only spent over 1k purchase price on the most recent one.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    1fatcat does have a point, in a way... Would you rather spend your time making friends and connections, or slaving away on fixing a BMW? That being said, if you really want a car, set aside 3 or 4k on repairs and upgrades, get the car sorted, and leave the car at home at first. Get to know the campus and the people there.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fatcat View Post

Awful lot of assumptions going on here.

Does he want to go to college?

Maybe he already has money set aside for college? (or trade school, or maybe he's entering the military?)

Don't assume what is important to you is necessarily important to others. I went to college and I'm glad I did. My wife has a master's degree. Our daughter is a stylist and makes more than my wife and has zero debt.

Different choices for different people.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I would like to get a Beemer of my own
    Bimmer, not beamer

Good luck with your search!

Follow my build progress here!

My Cars
    2011 Golf TDi, 1986 944
    I had a friend with a 1996 M3 during college. He bought the car before he went to college while working. Once in college, he quit his job and all he did was moan about how he couldn't keep up with the maintenance costs. He tried to sell it to me.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    OP only asked what car to buy, not how to spend his money or how to live his life.

5 series is probably too big, and older M cars will just be a headache. Compared to E46 m3, E90 335i is just as fast and would be a better fit in your situation.

Anyway, 2007-2011 3 series should fit your bill. You should look into 335i/xi sedan or a couple. xi model is AWD, it is probably easier to find since you're in PA.

Also, you might want to look into leasing as well (probably going to need a co-signor). Once you crunch down some numbers, you'll see that leasing a new one shouldn't cost too much more than used one out of warranty. Keep in mind with a new one, you get 4 years/50k miles free maintenance. If you (or your parents) have good amount of money set aside every year for car expenses, you like changing cars every few years, and want to have minimal hassle owning a bmw, then you should look into getting a new one.
    I am seeing really attractive lease deals to clear out 2014 models. Another option would be to do BMW select, google it and you'll see what it is.
    Last edited by SpeedsterBek; 08-29-2014 at 11:30 AM.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    '07 saab 9-3 2.0. Turbo
    I understand where your coming from but my financial situation in college isn't a problem. I've already been accepted into psu with a 65% scholarship. Plus, I have more saved up but this is all I'm willing to spend on a car ATM. I've worked my butt off these last 2 years but I've also flipped a couple cars that I've fixed up and what not. My dad's a car guy and has been teaching me automotive repair since I've been a kid, so maintanance isn't really an issue. I see where your coming from but I've been extremely lucky these past few years. I just wanted some suggestions before I start researching and making my own opinions that could night me in the butt later.

thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrymander View Post
    I had a friend with a 1996 M3 during college. He bought the car before he went to college while working. Once in college, he quit his job and all he did was moan about how he couldn't keep up with the maintenance costs. He tried to sell it to me.
    This has nothing to do with an M3. He quit his job [and now has no income]. He couldn't afford any car at that point.

My Cars
    '80 WBA/'98 WBS/'06 WBA
    I understand where your coming from but my financial situation in college isn't a problem. I've already been accepted into psu with a 65% scholarship. Plus, I have more saved up but this is all I'm willing to spend on a car ATM. I've worked my butt off these last 2 years but I've also flipped a couple cars that I've fixed up and what not. My dad's a car guy and has been teaching me automotive repair since I've been a kid, so maintanance isn't really an issue. I see where your coming from but I've been extremely lucky these past few years. I just wanted some suggestions before I start researching and making my own opinions that could night me in the butt later.

thanks
    Seriously, good for you. VERY impressive all around to be honest. With that being said, I would recommend you drive anything you're interested in. Narrow down the search a little then report back with what you're considering. It'll be much easier to give advice/opinions/what to look for and out for at that point.

Obviously you have your head on your shoulders, which is much more than I can say for myself at that age. You also seem to have some grasp on "auto repair" and also have a source of mechanical help in the household if need be.

I think on top of whatever you decide to spend you should also allocate an extra $3k give or take for repairs/maintenance. You may not need it right away, but you will need it. That way when something comes up, you're not dipping into other money that wasn't set aside for "car stuff".

Congratulations in your acceptance to PSU.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    All the parents must work at the chocolate factory cuz those are some rich kids getting some nice hand me downs. Get a 335i and mod it and smoke em all.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    '07 saab 9-3 2.0. Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    All the parents must work at the chocolate factory cuz those are some rich kids getting some nice hand me downs. Get a 335i and mod it and smoke em all.

Yea. These kids have no clue what cars their parents gave/bought for them. I'm really considering a 335ix after this thread and more research. If I do mod one, what would you suggest?

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Any particular reason why you want 4 wheel drive?

My Cars
    '80 WBA/'98 WBS/'06 WBA
    Quote Originally Posted by DYL View Post
    Any particular reason why you want 4 wheel drive?
    I would think living in PA would be reason enough.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is

thanks
    First of all, congrats on being accepted to PSU! You are lucky that you live so close to there. I graduated from the PSU Erie campus last year.

A lot of these threads often end up being opinion of what the particular person commenting likes. There are a tremendous amount of BMWs in your price range, everything from a higher mileage e39 M5, to an e36 318ti, to nearly the nicest e38 money can buy. I would strongly suggest that you go out and test drive a few cars until you find the one you like, and not just the first one you find. I personally would suggest any of the following models (E46, E39, E38) or older if you plan on wrenching on the car yourself. The newer ones have a scary amount of electronics.

You and your friends are quite lucky to have gotten quite nice cars like those BMWs to drive in high school. I was super happy to occasionally drive my parents e38 to high school. Granted nobody cared because it wasn't a lifted pickup or Jeep.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite