Thread: 1" Scratch - Brand New 528 - Please Use This Post

My Cars
    2014 BMW 528i

1" Scratch - Brand New 528 - Please Use This Post

Hi BMW Enthusiasts - sorry for the confusion on the duplicate post. The other post with similar title does not give me the option to delete it and I'm not sure how it posted a blank post.

So I'm hoping you can give me your suggestions or input. My car has been parked for 7 days until I figure out what to do.

I have a 1" scratch (1" in length x 1/16" at the widest point) scratch on front of car, just to the immediate right of the grille.

The dealer where I purchased it said they could have their airbrush guy touch it up. When they drove me across the street to the repair facility (it's a place on the lot behind the used cars (not the CPO cars). The Svc Mgr talked to the guy and the guy walked up with a little airbrush machine ready to do it right then. I was expecting a little more professional service, you know a little prep, perhaps cover the other part of the unaffected area to prevent paint overspray, perhaps a guide or template, etc. So I didn't get it done right then.

I then took photos and e-mailed to a reputable paint shop in Scottsdale that stated they have an actual BMW paint booth. They recommended removing the grille and front bumper and painting it correctly. I mentioned I was taking it afterwards to having a clear bra put on, and they said with a clear bra, when it's peeled off it's possible that a small touch up would lift off when the clear bra is pulled off. I don't plan on pulling off the clear bra though, and if so, couldn't I get it painted the right way at that time if it was a problem?

My concerns are that I'm going to be getting in a very large area to repaint, all over a small 1" scratch. I am concerned about the integrity of the paint, and how durable the fresh paint will be. I have always been under the impression that it's never quite as strong and durable as factory. But then again, if a clear bra is over it, does it really matter? Am I overthinking this? The clear bra is a must since I am in AZ, lot of new construction still and little bitty rocks all over the freeway. Our cars get pretty beat up here, especially if you do any amount of freeway driving.

What would you all do? It took me a really long time to get this car, and even though I hope to trade it in and get a new one again in a couple of years, I'd still like to keep it looking pristine. I'm picky and I would like it to look right.

Do you all recommend the spot airbrush with a Professional or do you recommend the more intense correction?

My car has less than 1,000 miles on it.

Thanks so much for all the valued opinions.

I did take a photo of it and uploaded it to PhotoBucket, but when I pasted the URL here, it didn't go through. I have no idea why.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Geeze, touch it up cheaply and move on. It's not going to be new forever and i understand it's very new and probably expensive. I promise rock hips in your future so touch up now and wait for a fender bender to get a new bumper freshly painted.
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Chances of anyone apart from you noticing this scratch once it's touched up are slim to none. Yes, it's a new car, but it wont be new forever ... in fact by the time you get your clear bra on, you'll probably have 50 little rock chips and scratches on the front of it anyway.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 528i

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    Chances of anyone apart from you noticing this scratch once it's touched up are slim to none. Yes, it's a new car, but it wont be new forever ... in fact by the time you get your clear bra on, you'll probably have 50 little rock chips and scratches on the front of it anyway.

Thank you both for your advice. This scratch does not warrant an entire bumper being redone. The car is parked so I will not be picking up any more scratches before the clear bra install. I understand the car will not look new forever - I get that. I just wanted to bring the bumper up to as new condition as possible, before applying the clear bra.

You guys rock!

If anyone else still has opinions, please post them. I've contacted the original dealer and asked them for the name of their other body shop. Frankly, I do think the other quotes from the inde shopts stating the whole bumper needed to be done, was in a way to increase sales. I believe with going through the BMW shop, that they will likely help me to ensure I get the least process done.

As you both mentioned, it won't be new forever.

Thank you so much for posting!

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Post a photo of this scratch and you can get a real answer
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    2014 BMW 528i

How do I post photo of scratch?

Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    Post a photo of this scratch and you can get a real answer
    I've tried to post a photo. First an upload through my computer, then a link via PhotoBucket. Both did not work.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Sent you a PM Dolce...
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by DolceDolce View Post
    What would you all do?
    Who's paying for it?

If it's not you, I'd have it resprayed to like-new condition. You say you're never gonna take the bra off, but then you say you're hoping to trade it in a couple years, what happens then when they take the bra off...does the touch-up come with it?

If I was paying for it, I'd probably just live with the scratch, maybe flip a coin on the touch-up.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    11 335i, 01 740i Sport
    If you're going to drive the car just let them touch it up and move on. Especially if you plan on a clear bra -- no one will be able to tell it was ever done.
    2011 335i XDrive Coupe
    2001 740i Sport

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I had the same situation with a car I had a few years ago. Had about a 3-5" scratch on the front fender. I made the mistake of going to BumperDoc. Those clowns wanted to basically paint the front of the car (fender, front plastic, hood) and quoted $800. LMAO, for a 5" scratch? I googled some places and found a guy who came out to my car while at work, and basically went around the car fixing little blemishes, nicks and dings. He charged me 2 bills, and I have to say, did a really good job. The main scratch wasn't perfect, but if you weren't looking for it, wouldn't have even noticed it. See if you can find a place like that and call it square.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Here are pictures of the scratch that the OP emailed me to post for him.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 528i
    Hi - the pictures of the scratch are posted above. Scratch is 1" in length by 1/16" at widest path.

Answering the questions above, yes, I'm paying for it myself. The quote for the 2" area around it to sand, paint, feather and entire bumper clear coated was $678. That place mentioned this: "The paint product we use at our facility is thesame product used at the BMW factory, in fact we also have the same paint booth" Second place was $850. I know it would turn out great, but I really don't think I need to be having the bumper pulled off, and messing with everything on the front end on a car that has only 800 miles. I'm really not leaning towards this option.

Regarding upon removing the clear bra, the touch up may or may not be lifted up when clear bra is removed. The auto body place just said it was a chance. I would think that has more to do with how much time one let it cure between applications and cure time before the clear bra. However, I'm not too concerned what happens when they pull it off in 2 years if I trade it in. I know they recondition cars prior to placing on used car lot, so chances are they would do some type of correction on the front bumper anyways. If I sold it privately, then I supposed at that time I would decide what to do.

For now, I would like to have the dealer airbrush it, but they seemed a little half-assed about it. Like no prep, no guide, no felt protection, etc. I believe he was just going to freehand it right there in the parking lot. That's just not how I take care of things.

I have also considered trying to touch it up myself.

So now my quandary might be more who should I get to lightly airbrush it in? Should I tell the Service Mgr that I wasn't thrilled with the guy going to freehand it, don't they have a more precise process? I've considered telling the first auto body place to just touch it up, but I don't know if they will do that. Will they also do a half-assed job to try and get me to then upgrade to the full paint?

It's still parked, not driving it. Obviously won't be resolved before the long weekend, so I'll be sweating it out in our other car, the one that has mediocre a/c and it's projected to be 108 this weekend. ugh!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you - you work fast! LOL
    Last edited by DolceDolce; 08-29-2014 at 03:37 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    I am a DIY guy and buy the best paint I can't find (PPG). It would cost me $200 in paint and a weekend of time to completely repainted the whole bumper.

I went this route for mine because folks wanted $600 to do mine.

I wouldn't put too much faith/emphasis on the "we use the same paint and paint booth as BMW thing".

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    Why would you not drive it? Is the scratch going to get worse? If you are that anal about it, maybe you should just drive a beater, and leave the nice car in your garage just for looks.

Cars are meant to be driven, and will never stay perfect in this imperfect world.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech1 View Post
    Why would you not drive it? Is the scratch going to get worse? If you are that anal about it, maybe you should just drive a beater, and leave the nice car in your garage just for looks.

Cars are meant to be driven, and will never stay perfect in this imperfect world.
    As stated in my original post .... the car is parked only until the scratch is repaired, because as soon as it is repaired, a clear bra is being immediately installed. Therefore, by leaving the car parked right now, I run zero risk of picking up any additional chips from driving, prior to the clear bra installation.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replies, suggestions and comments everyone. BTW, I'm posting the BMW paint process in case any of you are interested in seeing it.

http://www.kunibmwblog.com/2010/01/bmw-manufacturing-paint-process/

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    I'm just as meticulous as you when it comes to things like this. Gather as much info as you can before you decide on the route you want to take. You'll be prepared if/when the next scratch comes =)