Thread: 1" Scratch on Brand New 528

My Cars
    2014 BMW 528i

1" Scratch on Brand New 528

If you read this post, please reply. Car has been parked for 7 days until I figure out what to do.

Became aware of a scratch on front of car to right of Grille. I think it occurred on the freeway, I heard a ting ting when a car passed me and the scratch seems to correlate with the direction of something coming from the right, seeing as how the scratch starts off wider and then narrows near the end. It is 1" long by 1/16" at the widest point.

The Svc Mgr at the BMW Dealer took me across the street to the paint facility that is located onsite behind the used cars (not the certified pre-owned lot). He talked to a guy for a moment, and then that guy came walking over with a little airbrush gun. I declined. I thought there should be more precision than me standing in a fume-filled parking lot with someone spray painting the spot, without any felt to protect areas, cleaning or prepping or anything. I quickly saw this turning into a coloring outside the lines issue, so I politely said I had to think about it.

I then sent in my photos to a repair shop in Scottsdale, that states they use an actual BMW paint booth. The guy said a spot repair could result in the paint peeling, once I remove the clear bra. I had explained that I am taking it directly to another place after the repair is complete, to have a clear bra installed. It's the only way I'll be able to enjoy the car here in AZ, with all the new construction still going on, and lots of little pebbles. This is the first time in a really long time that I've had a brand new car. His recommendation is that the entire front bumper be removed and grille and then paint.

My concerns are if the painted area is a large area how durable is it? I've had a car painted in the past (in which a guy at the Infiniti dealer scratched turning too tightly pulling out of the service garage, caught the edge of the building. The car was never the same again.

The spot that could be pulled off if the bra was removed, if that happened, I could always address it at that time, or maybe it won't happen. Probably would though. But then again, I hope in a few years to get another 528.

For the meantime, it's driving me crazy because I won't drive it now, I'm worried I'll get another chip before I get the clear bra on.

Which route do you all recommend? You are the enthusiasts and I know you are good at seeing and pointing out things I would not have considered. Please, all opinions welcomed.

Thank you!

Dolce

Last edited by DolceDolce; 08-26-2014 at 03:52 PM.