Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much should I expect to pay for a reprogram

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Sorry I hurt your feelings. That was not the intent.

All communication with the DME is done on the TXD2 line. According to the first post, they are able to communicate with the DME via the 20pin. This means the DME is alive and the TXD2 wiring is good. Also from the first post, they can not establish communication from the 16 pin inside the car. Then in a later post they establish OBDii communication with an $5 ebay adapter plugged into the 20 pin.
    From the three things together:

The DME is alive and can do both BMW OBDi and OBDii on the TXD2 line.

Both protocols work from the 20 pin connector

Neither protocol (okay, only one was tested) works from the daisy-chained 16 pin port inside the car

Ergo, there is a problem with the daisy-chain. The connection, the bridging of pins 2 and 17, happens in the cap.

If it was the S54 OBDii bug, it would not communicate OBDii from either port.

If it was a battery disconnect, it would communicate fine, but report "Not Ready" for the various monitors. No communication is very different than reporting incomplete test results.

If it was a "tune", again, the communication problem would be on both ports.

The problem with this thread is the lack of involvement from the OP. We're on page 2, hundreds of dollars have been spent, yet the simple question about the presence of the cap has been ignored.

/.randy

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Quit barking at the red herrings. It's not the battery. It's not the programming. It's not anything weird. That harness you borrowed proves the DME is capable of speaking OBDii. All that harness does is recreate the 20 pin cap, a bit of wiring, and the 16 pin plug. The most likely cause of your problem is a bad 20 pin cap. The most likely reason it's bad is because it's gone missing.
    I'm not stupid. The 20 pin cap is there and FYI, all of the pins in the in-car OBDII connector test correctly for positive and negative. The cap looks perfect, all of the pins are clean. I guess it could still be bad but the power output says otherwise. It's like the lights are on but nobody is home.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Then in a later post they establish OBDii communication with an $5 ebay adapter plugged into the 20 pin.
    I never said this - I used a BMW adapter lent to me right from the mechanic at BMW - The part # is 020987 on the BMW tag and bar code label - it is a genuine BMW adapter.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm beginning to think that A) the cap is bad somehow or B) no idea as we get voltage in the car where we should, just no data.

also when i had my car reprogrammed they also reprogrammed a "dash module" in addition to the main computer, or so I was told by the shop foreman at BMW.
    Last edited by etrinka; 09-08-2014 at 12:45 PM.

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    etrinka,

Let's start with the following. Remove the 20 pin cap and measure the following on the cap:

Pin 2 to Pin 17 - should be a short (continuity)
    Pin 14 to Pin 15 - should read 820 ohms
    Pin 15 to Pin 20 - should be a short (continuity)

Now test for continuity from the 20 pin connector (with cap removed) at Pin 2 to Pin 7 of the console connector (16 pin connector).

Report back what you find.

My Cars
    Z3
    OK - I will do and report back within a day or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith View Post

Now test for continuity from the 20 pin connector (with cap removed) at Pin 2 to Pin 7 of the console connector (16 pin connector).

Report back what you find.
    run a jumper from the 20 pin (pin 2) under the hood to the 16 pin (pin 7) in the car? Just making sure. (with my ohm meter of course)

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by etrinka View Post
    run a jumper from the 20 pin (pin 2) under the hood to the 16 pin (pin 7) in the car? Just making sure. (with my ohm meter of course)
    No, that would defeat the test. You can use a multimeter set to diode test function (usually get a beep with continuity) or an analog meter set to ohm setting (will get a zero ohm reading with needle).

See if the tests fail before running any replacement wires. At this stage of testing we're just trying to find where the problem lies.

Edit: if your "jumper" is the two leads attached to your multimeter (one lead going to pin 2 of the 20 pin and the other lead going to pin 7 of the 16 pin), then the answer is yes. If it is a straight wire between the two pins, no.
    Last edited by Monolith; 09-08-2014 at 01:10 PM.

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
    Edit: if your "jumper" is the two leads attached to your multimeter (one lead going to pin 2 of the 20 pin and the other lead going to pin 7 of the 16 pin), then the answer is yes. If it is a straight wire between the two pins, no.
    yes, that is what I meant.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    While the one you borrowed may have a BMW number, the $5 ebay adapters will do the same job just fine. This proves the system works.

YOu have checked power and ground to the 16 pin, pins 16 and 4. From there, the next step is to check the continuity of the TXD2 line and signal ground. The most common cause of a break in TXD2 is the cap missing. Since we now finally know the cap is there, next in line is ohm checking the TXD2 line. Monolith covered this very well. While in there, it would also be prudent to check the signal ground side. This is pin 19 of the 20 pin to pin 5 of the 16pim. This last should be okay, as BMW bridges signal ground to chassis ground. But proper test equipment should treat them separately.

/.randy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12