Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does the typical "boy racer" phase last?

My Cars
    E36 M3

How long does the typical "boy racer" phase last?

How long does the urge to race someone who's revving his engine next to you take to go away? Does it ever? What about the urge to put a guy in a riced up Civic egging you on in his place? Yes, I know my current car isn't all that fast, but the type of cars that pull up next to me looking for a race aren't too fast anyway so it still works. A guy with a Corvette wouldn't waste his time revving his engine at me, but a guys in an RSX Type-S or any other "cheap modder's car" do it all the time.

I'm asking because it's an important point to consider when purchasing my next car. Will I be satisfied driving around in a 328i LCI with an M-Sport package...a car with good enough speed for daily driving, looks good, comfortable and more practical than a coupe? Or will I ultimately be dissatisfied with that and be happier with an E92 335i with a JB4 that can smoke a good majority of cars out there, but also have to worry about a higher up front cost and longer term worries like the HPFP crapping out

I'm guessing the majority of the answers will be that racing guys who egg me on at stoplights is immature and that urge will go away with age, but I see a lot of videos on YouTube of guys who race in broad daylight who are at least 20 years my senior so idk...

I guess the thread withing the thread is...328i LCI with M-Sport to cruise around in style and comfort or 335i coupe so my inner boy racer can be satisfied despite the higher costs and worries
    Last edited by Aestheticus; 08-24-2014 at 11:08 AM.

My Cars
    M3, GLK 350
    I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by gato View Post
    Having some racism in a country with this many black people is necessary.

Black people are always going to be a little bit lazy.

My Cars
    Various junk
    Well, it's like this. Say you were at the spa for some well-deserved rest and relaxation. You're a confident woman, shades covering your face and a Louis Vuitton Speedy 35 at your side.

Then in walks this bitch with an Alma MM.

Your day is RUINED. This is not possible. You've been outranked with nary a word in exchange.

You can leave the game, but the game never leaves you.

335i.

My Cars
    08 mini cooper s turbo!!
    I love my mini but it's a capable rice burner and a single rev gets me going. .I really miss having something slow to keep me down

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Well, it's like this. Say you were at the spa for some well-deserved rest and relaxation. You're a confident woman, shades covering your face and a Louis Vuitton Speedy 35 at your side.

Then in walks this bitch with an Alma MM.

Your day is RUINED. This is not possible. You've been outranked with nary a word in exchange.

You can leave the game, but the game never leaves you.

335i.
    Well played well played

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bimmershark View Post
    I love my mini but it's a capable rice burner and a single rev gets me going. .I really miss having something slow to keep me down
    I think the fact that I know these guys think they can beat me makes me wanna go. It doesn't help that only the RSX and Teggy type drivers are the ones who give me a smug look. That smug look and cocky attitude pushes me over the edge and makes me wanna shut them up. Maybe it's best I don't get a 335i or else that urge to shut even more people up will get stronger

328i to force me to not have the urge because I know I'd lose most races...problem solved? Or will I hate myself for not going for a 335i

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by runflat View Post
    E39 m5
    Is that like...a Michael Kors?

My Cars
    Rubicon, Cayman, 911 S
    I get a number of people that pull up parallel & rev on the expressway- more than at stoplights. I just tap the brakes and slow down, they usually get the point & proceed on their way.

When you'll lose interest, probably hinges upon your current age & why you currently enjoy it now...

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    Do your testicles still work? That's how long...

By the way, the HPFP aren't a problem anymore. I can't remember the last time I replaced one. Doing more injectors now than anything. Get something with the N55 engine. BMW ditched the piezo injectors and went back to solenoid type. Much more reliable. N55 has a single 'twin scroll' turbo as opposed to two turbos = more simplicity. I haven't replaced a turbo on an N55 yet. This engine seems to be holding up very well. Think about it, the N55 is available in every model BMW makes right now.

I have a 135i with DCT, Performance Power Kit and Performance exhaust. This fuckin' thing is stoopid fast. Just found out last week we are going to be a Dinan dealer... son of a bitch, there goes all my money.
    Last edited by mhunter29928; 08-24-2014 at 11:58 AM.

My Cars
    E28, '07 Duramax LBZ
    i don't give in to these childish desires mainly for the reason that there are undercover cops posing as street racers that have pulled over and/or arrested some of my friends. consider that the next time you get a douche chill at a stoplight.

My Cars
    Horse drawn chariot
    Not again .

Blastingb4rust.
    "My man did you simply get carried away with your dramatic gesture or were you pointing your water gun at me with lethal intentions ?"

My Cars
    2001 740IL
    you telling me that your e36 m3 will kill a rsx type s? lol

My Cars
    E28, '07 Duramax LBZ
    Quote Originally Posted by spetsnaz55 View Post
    zip ties and stickers add HP

My Cars
    `11 M3 ZCP
    Can't say I ever had this particular urge.
    M3 SEDAN CLUB #12
    2011 M3 ZCP
    2006 M3 CS (SOLD )
    1993 E34 M5 Euro-Spec (SOLD )

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    On-topic post is on-topic.

My Cars
    Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Aestheticus View Post

I'm asking because it's an important point to consider when purchasing my next car.

How in the world is other people wanting to race you an important point to consider when purchasing your next car? Does your mom still dress you?

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Boy racer phase stops when your testicles finally drop. (Not yours personally)
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    2004 M3
    It lasted me a couple of years. I was a 19 yr old boy with a slow ass 318ti hoping to win at least one race. Those miatas are not as slow as one might think. Now I just chill in my 325i. But the familiar urge might come back when I get an ///M.

My Cars
    95 Lolvo 850,86 AudiCGT
    Nothing I love more about my car is blowing the doors off people least suspecting it.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by spetsnaz55 View Post
    Your telling me you think it wont?

E36 has more power, a better chassis, RWD, better gearing. Why would the type S even stand a chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
    How in the world is other people wanting to race you an important point to consider when purchasing your next car? Does your mom still dress you?
    Also, this.

Your urge to stop street racing will stop once you focus less on your ego and stop caring what other people think about you.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    A semi sorted type s would give you a run for your money. they're the perfect 20-40 roll machine.

My Cars
    '03 540i/6 M-tech
    So you're asking a bunch of strangers when YOU are going to start being mature and you will be basing you vehicle purchase off this?

I'm guessing you have a long way to go.

2001 330Cic/A in the same color combo is "Her" ride.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    Once you realize the risk of getting arrested and your car impounded is not remotely worth it. Let your ego go and get it all out at a track day.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    I guess that depends on how long someone wants to remain a boy

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I'm not sure this thread is about racing other cars at all. OP wants to impress other guys that he sees, what's he really trying to get away from?

Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    You can't drive away from your problems. Find a woman friend and impress her, not greasy teenagers. In respect to your question on what car to get, I'd go with the 335i.
    Last edited by Grauhund; 08-25-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    '95 325is in semi-rare Arctic Gray, clears, some ///M ​parts, and much more to come!

My Build Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast