RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Time based maintenance items

My Cars
    M3 E36, 2007 X3

Time based maintenance items

I am getting a 2005 X5 for my part time window cleaning business. It has 170,000 but the X5 has been well taken care of and will get an inspection. I figure I can enjoy the comfort and looks of this fine X5 without too much expense as I should only put about 5,000 miles per year on the vehicle.

What degrades on a car due to time as opposed to mileage?

i know to get the oil hot once a week by driving 15 min at highway rpms.

My other car is an E36 M3 and it will be the short hopper most of the time.

Rubber suspension parts don't break down over time too much do they?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The entire cooling system is well overdue for replacement. This includes water pump, thermostat, radiator, expansion tank, cap, all hoses. Plus the plastic water pipes if it's a M54, and the valley pan if it's a V8.

Brake fluid is good for a MAXIMUM of 2 years. Change ALL the fluids.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinheap View Post
    i know to get the oil hot once a week by driving 15 min at highway rpms.
    I recommend a weekly jaunt of at least 20 miles at highway speeds. I assume it's an automatic so I recommend you keep the tranny from shifting into overdrive, if possible. These engines need to be run hot and hard. They are like a thoroughbred horse, wandering around the corral just won't do it.

My Cars
    1998 328is, 2006 330ci ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinheap View Post
    What degrades on a car due to time as opposed to mileage?

Rubber suspension parts don't break down over time too much do they?
    Oil should technically be changed at least once every 6 months for low mileage cars.

As others have said, brake fluid is probably the most neglected fluid on the car. Every two years max, every year is better.

Coolant should be done every 2 years.

If you don't keep the battery on a charger (and I mean a multi-stage charger compatible with the battery chemistry) you can expect to replace it every 2-3 years. If on a charger, you can probably expect 5 years. Remember that the more modern AGM batteries require a different charger than traditional wet cells. I don't know when BMW switched to AGM batteries off hand, though I know it was after 2005.

FYI, I don't know how you have come to define "well taken care of" but any vehicle (not just a BMW) that hasn't basically had its entire suspension replaced by 170K needs the work. All new suspension on an X5 is easily going to run $3-5K, depending on who does it.

Oh, and FYI -- I don't know who you work for but many people who pay for services don't really like it if the owner pulls up in a BMW. It sends the wrong message. Plus, an old Honda will be a hell of a lot lower cost to own in the long run.

My Cars
    M3 E36, 2007 X3
    Thanks for the posts. The information helps. I will have the suspension checked. I did think about services and pulling up in a Bmw. When I had the 31st I a graphic artist said she was in the wrong biz if her window cleaner drove a Bmw. I said I did not make much money when I was a graphic artist either.
    m3x3x5

My Cars
    M3 E36, 2007 X3
    31st should read 318ti.
    m3x3x5