Thread: Symptoms of a backwards clutch disk...

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i

Symptoms of a backwards clutch disk...

First crank, rebuilt obd1 S52 with AA turbo so don't mind the rough idle and mess. So the squeaking is the noise i'm concerned about, has anyone ever put the clutch disk in backwards and if so is this what it sounds like?

Gripforce (F1) stage 3 sprung hub with chromoly ltw flywheel. I put the side with the longer spline toward the back of the car because idk it just made more sense and couldn't find a solid answer.

Thanks!

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    turbo m3, Z4M, M5,
    I think the longer spline went towards the engine if I remember correct. That sounds bad.... Mine doesn't do that at all. just squeels when taking off a little.

- - - Updated - - -

also when you torque down the pressure plate it will seem off to you because the clutch will be hitting the pressure plate spring teeth.

My Cars
    z3
    lol I dont think it would work at all if you installed the clutch disc wrong

I dont think anyone with even a modicum of mechanical ability will install a clutch backwards.

That noise sounds similar to any lightweight flywheel chatter, only much more pronounced. BMWs for the most part all have dual mass flywheels, when you go with a lighter variant, a squeeking or chattering noise occurs.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    lol I dont think it would work at all if you installed the clutch disc wrong

I dont think anyone with even a modicum of mechanical ability will install a clutch backwards.

That noise sounds similar to any lightweight flywheel chatter, only much more pronounced. BMWs for the most part all have dual mass flywheels, when you go with a lighter variant, a squeeking or chattering noise occurs.
    That is reassuring to some extent, but it's an aftermarket sprung hub and seems to fit fine both ways

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjjj View Post
    .. and couldn't find a solid answer. Thanks!
    So your saying you could find the right way to install a part so you took a 50/50 chance? Awesome job... Did you think to call the place that sold you the clutch? Think they would know?
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    After searching there is a bit of conflicting info and I'm well aware that I dropped the ball on this one. Unlabeled and practically generic parts can be a gamble but this clutch/flywheel has been proven to hold upwards of 450 ft-lbs wheel torque for minimal cost so it was a gamble I was willing to make.

I'm trying to look at the positive side of things and taking this as a practice run for installing a better transmission or clutch down the road, really just wanted to see if anyone outside of the FI crowd has experience with this issue.