Thread: is mechanical speedometer able to be calibrated/adjusted?

My Cars
    1988 325ic

is mechanical speedometer able to be calibrated/adjusted?

I figured I would try asking before diving into the car. Using a GPS speedo app I determined that it's accurate at 50mph. Below that the car's actual speed is slower than indicated. Above that the car is faster than indicated. Not too much of an issue at 60 but at indicated 70mph I'm actually doing a solid 75. At indicated 80 it's around 87 or so.. I mostly try to keep from doing no more than 10 over so this could certainly get me in trouble, don't want to accidentally be doing 15-20 over.
    If it can't be adjusted I might have to just print my own gauge with the numbers and lines moved around.

My Cars
    1984 Euro 635
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiglaf View Post
    I figured I would try asking before diving into the car. Using a GPS speedo app I determined that it's accurate at 50mph. Below that the car's actual speed is slower than indicated. Above that the car is faster than indicated. Not too much of an issue at 60 but at indicated 70mph I'm actually doing a solid 75. At indicated 80 it's around 87 or so.. I mostly try to keep from doing no more than 10 over so this could certainly get me in trouble, don't want to accidentally be doing 15-20 over.
    If it can't be adjusted I might have to just print my own gauge with the numbers and lines moved around.
    Years ago (like 25?) we used to send them to VDO for calibration. Been a long time though.
    '84 Euro 635
    '88 M6 (Gone but not forgotten)

My Cars
    '73 ///M2, '85 ///M635
    North Hollywood Speedometer likely can do it. They did my 2002.

GL,

Ray

My Cars
    '85 635 CSi Euro 5sp.
    Or, Palo Alto Speedometer.