Thread: best way to get an oil change done...

My Cars
    2014 BMW X1

best way to get an oil change done...

Hi folks,

New BMW owner here.

What is the best way to get an oil change done for a new 2014 BMW? It seems to take quite awhile to do when done at a dealership as compared to a specialized oil and lube place. But OTOH I want the oil change to be done in a quality manner that preserves the car's condition. Where do people typically get oil changes done for fairly new BMW's--at the dealership or elsewhere?

Thanks!!

My Cars
    2008 M Roadster
    Best place to do it is in your garage.

My Cars
    2014 BMW X1
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    No it's not, at least in my case, because I'm not a mechanically inclined person and I'm not about to practice learning on a newly purchased car. If I had some old beater I might do so. I'm sure I could learn but a new car isn't what I want to be learning on.

Moreover doing it myself wouldn't give me documentation which I will definitely want if I ever sell the car.

I've spent enough money on the car that I want a mechanically competent person to be doing all maintenance, including oil changes. That person definitely isn't me. Whether it is the dealership or an oil/lube place is what I hope to find out.

Get it done at a BMW dealership. Not to hate on anyone at jiffy lube or any other places similar, but they will more than likely put the wrong amount of oil in the car and it definitely won't be a BMW approved oil

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    As your oil changes are still free, I'd get it done at the dealership. If you wanted you could also go to an independent that fixes BMW's. Not all independents do work on newer BMW's, in fact only a small number do. Check out your regional sub-forum here, and look around or ask, and they'll tell you what independents in your area are good.

An oil change at an indy will run you around $100, but it won't be any faster, as they'll almost certainly ask you to drop the car off for the day. If you are concerned enough about the car that you won't risk working on it, why take a risk at a place like Jiffy Lube, etc?
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    As montaillou stated, your oil changes are free for now at the dealer. No brainer.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    And if you don't have the dealer do the oil services when due and you have engine sludge you'll be looking at customer pay valve cover and engine flush ...
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    The dealer, preferably have them do a change that you pay for and have the tech not reset the service counter. Then get the one the dealer provides for free when the counter indicates it's needed. Even after the service warranty is up the dealer isn't a bad deal. $82 for the oil, filter, orings, and shipping form ECS. $95 to let the dealer do it. For the $13 dollar difference I'm happy to let them do it. There are plenty of cars to look at on the lot and free coffee while reading the news isn't all bad after I've walked the lot.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    +1!

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    As your oil changes are still free, I'd get it done at the dealership.
    Only correct answer

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Only correct answer
    true...but they will only do it at 15k or one year... that's too long of an interval IMO...
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by dash1729 View Post
    No it's not, at least in my case, because I'm not a mechanically inclined person and I'm not about to practice learning on a newly purchased car.
    Watch, learn, do.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rob22sf View Post
    true...but they will only do it at 15k or one year... that's too long of an interval IMO...
    They are at 10k in my area, or 12k on some brand new models. Our '11 128i has a 10k interval.

FWIW though, especially when new under 20k miles or so, Id replace it every 5k. So right between dealer oil changes I would take it to a well-known local BMW independant mechanic for "supplemental" oil changes. Ask around some local forums for input on a good indy mechanic in your area and get it done there. Otherwise if the dealer takes too long every time you go in, tell them you want to just drop the car off, take a loaner, and get the car back the following day. Since you just bought a brand new car from them they should be accommodating about that.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Are you going to keep this car after the lease is up? If not who cares, BMW designed the engine to last with said oil change intervals. If u want to change the oil before there due go for it.
    2007 ZX-10r - sold

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    BMW is bringing back the 10k oil change, starting with some 2014 models. Most of our loaners are showing that they are due for an oil change when we take them out of the loaner fleet at less than 8k.

Not sure which models, haven't paid that much attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    Are you going to keep this car after the lease is up? If not who cares, BMW designed the engine to last until its out of warranty with said oil change intervals. If u want to change the oil before there due go for it.
    fixed

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dash1729 View Post
    No it's not, at least in my case, because I'm not a mechanically inclined person and I'm not about to practice learning on a newly purchased car. If I had some old beater I might do so. I'm sure I could learn but a new car isn't what I want to be learning on.

Moreover doing it myself wouldn't give me documentation which I will definitely want if I ever sell the car.

I've spent enough money on the car that I want a mechanically competent person to be doing all maintenance, including oil changes. That person definitely isn't me. Whether it is the dealership or an oil/lube place is what I hope to find out.
    Do not take your car to some Jiffy/Quick Lube. There are two choices, one of which you've made it clear that you will not even consider. One, do it yourself like a man. Two, take it to the dealer where it's free. If you happen to want your oil changed before BMW's covered interval of 13-15k or whatever, then you'll pay like 80-100 bucks. But do not take your car to a quick lube/quick job place. Your third option is to take it to a competent indy bmw shop. Either way, don't take it to a quickie lube or fast lube - you'll regret it like waking up next to a dirty hooker.

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3 Coupe
    lol, Jiffy lube would probably zip your drain bolt on with the same torque stick they use for the wheels, which is already 100 ft/lbs too high

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Or just don't change it! Be like I was told it was lifetime oil! Ha
    2007 ZX-10r - sold