Thread: Getting a new key made

My Cars
    ///M3 & Clownshoe

Getting a new key made

Curious if anyone has ever used the website below for new keys? I have contacted the local stealership and they are wanting $185 for a new key. Im just curious if everything will actually work and work correctly.

http://unitedautosecurity.net/BMW-Z3...aspx?sid=13867

Any cheaper alternatives?
    2005 ZCP Schwarz II/Imolarot 6spd ///M3 || 1999 ///M Coupe Estorilblau/Estorilblau "Clownshoe"
    2014 Alpinweiss Uni/Mokka X5 ///M Package (wifey)

WWW.CHICANEMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    That's only to get the key cut. It wont have the necessary chip/electronics inside it ... so in other words, only good for unlocking the door. I have a local locksmith that cuts/makes copies of them for 21 dollars, but they wont start a car with EWS (95 and on).

You can get a key for 70 dollars at the dealer: it will be just a master key without the remote fob.

My Cars
    ///M3 & Clownshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    That's only to get the key cut. It wont have the necessary chip/electronics inside it ... so in other words, only good for unlocking the door. I have a local locksmith that cuts/makes copies of them for 21 dollars, but they wont start a car with EWS (95 and on).

You can get a key for 70 dollars at the dealer: it will be just a master key without the remote fob.
    No actually you can buy the necessary key from them with the EWS for $80, then its another $30 to have it cut. They also have a full EWS package, but it gets confusing because that is almost $250. So things get a bit confusing.
    2005 ZCP Schwarz II/Imolarot 6spd ///M3 || 1999 ///M Coupe Estorilblau/Estorilblau "Clownshoe"

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos675 View Post
    No actually you can buy the necessary key from them with the EWS for $80, then its another $30 to have it cut. They also have a full EWS package, but it gets confusing because that is almost $250. So things get a bit confusing.
    Who is "them"? I always thought that you had to go to a dealer with your drivers license & registration to get replacement keys.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    So let me get this right, you have this prized vehicle that is worth a pile of ducats and you're too cheap to buy a key coded by the manufacturer to work with its anti-theft system that is designed to protect your vehicle from being stolen and this incredibly cheap key is now going to cost at least $250... wow I admire your ability to make sound financial decisions. Oh yeah the "stealership" key which is at this moment $70 less then your bargain key actually has a brick & mortar location that will actually guarantee your purchase. Knock yourself out. Mess with your EWS and sooner or later you will be paying a lot more for a factory trained tech to straighten out the mess and re-program it.

My Cars
    ///M3 & Clownshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by cheech1 View Post
    Who is "them"? I always thought that you had to go to a dealer with your drivers license & registration to get replacement keys.
    Them would be the link I posted in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by ptarditi View Post
    So let me get this right, you have this prized vehicle that is worth a pile of ducats and you're too cheap to buy a key coded by the manufacturer to work with its anti-theft system that is designed to protect your vehicle from being stolen and this incredibly cheap key is now going to cost at least $250... wow I admire your ability to make sound financial decisions. Oh yeah the "stealership" key which is at this moment $70 less then your bargain key actually has a brick & mortar location that will actually guarantee your purchase. Knock yourself out. Mess with your EWS and sooner or later you will be paying a lot more for a factory trained tech to straighten out the mess and re-program it.
    You must not be reading things correctly. The whole thought of being able to buy a cheaper key that simply unlocks the doors and starts the car is all I need. If I have one key that already does all the EWS stuff, then it doesnt matter to me. Why wouldnt I try and save $70 if possible? Again in my original post I stated $80 + $30 is all that it cost vs. $185 for a dealer key.

Please read and view the link I listed and think about the question I originally stated rather than assume things. Thanks

...Also you are looking at the wrong Ducati's if my cars are worth more than a pile of them
    Last edited by cosmos675; 08-19-2014 at 10:09 PM.

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    I'm not assuming anything I was referencing post #3 about the EWS package, where you started quoting additional costs etc, just curious who is going to perform the EWS-DME alignment.Check post #2 when he mentions a valet key for $70. DUCAT not Ducati.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by ptarditi View Post
    DUCAT not Ducati.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducat
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    To answer your question, no, it appears that nobody here went with the ghetto cheap solution you linked to in your first post.

You will save MAYBE $50 or so after all is said and done, and you will have to remove your EWS for a period of time to mail it to them, and you dont have the security of having had the dealer done it to know its done properly and with a warranty behind it.

Ever heard the term: "Penny wise, dollar stupid"?
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 08-21-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Penny wise, dollar stupid? That makes no sense.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Penny wise, dollar stupid? That makes no sense.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

Lol

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Ever heard a poor man buys it twice... Go the cheap key route and post your total investment in your key when your done
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    From the link ...

"...Did you loose your key and want to cancel it?o Did the dealer tell you that your car will need to get new locks, keys, EWS, because you used all 10 keys?
    o You cannot start your car using the existing key.

United Auto Security offers several packages that will help you get more keys, unlock your EWS so that you can add more keys, and save you the hassle and cost.
    If your BMW is built in 1995-on, your key will most likely have a chip in it. "

So much fail in one paragraph.

My key is not loose. And there is no "most likely" about it, after '95, there is a chip in it. They also go on to tell how some of the keys don't have a battery and are powered by the antenna ring. ::triple facepalm::

OP: Spend the extra $50 and get a key from the dealer. it'll take less time, you won't have to remove your EWS module and the key will show up the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    e36, e46, e90
    I havent personally bought the replacement key, but the previous owner did. I have the basic key that just unlocks and starts the car. It works fine for me. I dont need any flashy keys lol. As for security alarm systems and what not, i just use a killswitch that will be hard as hell to find, and my steering wheel is detachable.
    Du bist die kraft, die macht und die prophezeiung in Ewigkeit, du bist das Omen.