Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INPA noob help

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    OK, firstly the problem is your cable. This type of interface will not be able to access all modules of an E36 - for that you will need an ADS interface. The interface that you are using must be run in KCAN mode (use DCAN.exe) to configure this and the interface = **** line in EDIABAS.ini for this cable should read Interface = STD:OBD . Second problem is that you are using the K+DCAN interface with a 16pin to 20pin round BMW adaptor cable - these cables are rarely equipped to monitor an ignition signal, which requires a connection between pin 16 on the round BMW end and pin 1 of the 16 pin of the cable. The good news is that the adaptor cable normally comes with a 5 core wire but only 4 cores are connected, so there may be a spare conductor in the existing adaptor cable that you can use to make this connection - if not, you will have to add another conductor.

Next problem is that this particular type of K+DCAN cable requires an internal connection between pins 7 & 8 of the 16 pin plug in order to read KCAN cars (pin 8 may even be missing completely from your cable) and they are notoriously unreliable. The K+DCAN cable from One Stop Electronics, although nearly identical in appearance is very reliable.

So, since you already have a cable for OBD2 (KCAN) and DCAN cars, the simple answer would be to chase up Benemorius and source one of his Tiny ADS interfaces. This will access all available modules on your E36 and will not require any alterations to Ediabas.ini. Try it with the existing ADS32.dll first, and if it does not work on your DELL, rename ADS32-dell.dll to ADS32.dll and put it in your c:\EDIABAS\Bin folder (not c:\EDIABAS\Bin\Hardware\ADS).

Its an e39. Does that change anything you just said? Really appreciate the help.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    If the BMW round 20 pin diagnostic socket under the hood has a metal contact in pin 15 and voltage available on that pin, the answer is the same. If you have no contact on pin 15, you don't need an ADS interface and should be able to connect using your interface running in KCAN mode. If this is the case, everything in my previous post, with the exception of the very first sentence and 2nd and 3rd last sentences (i.e. references to ADS interfaces) still applies.

Connected pin 16 on the adaptor #1 on the interface. Now once the USB is plugged in I get both ignition and battery. But I still get the same error re the control unit. Was able to do an identification check on the Special Test but I am also sys0012 error. Really thought the straight connection would do it.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    OK, assuming you have modified Ediabas.ini so that Interface = STD:OBD, have bridged pins 7 and 8 on your interface OBD plug and as soon as you connected to your car, you ran DCAN.exe and configured your interface to run in KCAN mode (whilst the LED was lit in your interface). Most likely problem is that the car is later than your version of INPA (SYS-0012 means that your car model variant is not recognised). What is the year model of your E39?

Its a 1998. Didn't bridge pins 7 and 8 or done the other stuff. Pin 15 has the metal in it so based on what you said and what I have read it should be ADS. Tried it again and the ignition and battery dots remain even when nothing is in the USB. Get the sys 0012 when I try to check Communication.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Your interface is not an ADS interface, so you will never be able to access all available modules with it, regardless of what adaptor cable you use. You have email.

Still no success. I got stuck after in input "1" for write configuration when I tried to run dcan.exe. when press enter again it says com port 1 is busy or does not exist. I only get the black dots with interface ADS which I tried just to see. I ran dcan.exe with std:obd.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    You are plugging your DCAN interface into a USB port, which will likely not be com 1. Open Device Manager when you connect your cable to the computer and car and look and see which com port is listed as the emulated serial port (it will probably be Com 3). This is the port you need to nominate.
    Last edited by David Mc; 09-03-2014 at 02:37 AM.

It seemed to run. Had to choose Kcan mode. Still no dots when Std:OBD is the interface. Special Test now returns IFh 003 communication disturbed. Now no dots when I change interface to ADS

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Were you able to correctly identify the Com port using Device Manager? Also bear in mind that settings in EDIABAS.ini are case-sensitive - for OBD, Interface = STD:OBD

1.4 IFH-0003: Data transmission HOST/Interface failed

Reason 1: In the Ediabas.ini file, the interface is set to STD:OBD. However, you have
    connected an ADS connector.
    Solution 1: Modify the interface setting.
    Reason 2: The data transmission failed when sending (e.g. short circuit in the line).
    Solution 2: Get rid of the short circuit, for example.
    Reason 3: Connector not connected or no power supplied.
    Solution 3: Check whether the connector is connected and is supplied with power.
    Reason 4: The device manager has been used to disable the FIFO buffer for COM1.
    Solution 4: In the device manager (Windows XP: Enter “Start” à “Control Panel” à
    “System” à “Hardware” à “Device Manager” à Ports (COM & LPT)), and then
    select COM1 from the ports. Then under the “Port Settings” tab, select
    “Advanced”. There must be a check-mark by “Use FIFO buffers” and “8” must be
    selected for the receive buffer and transmit buffer.

Ports.pdf
    Last edited by David Mc; 09-03-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks again. I take it the bridging of the pins would have dealt with the adjustment to the interface. I have made the changes to the transmit and receive. I will try again.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Bridging of pins 7 & 8 just ensures that your interface can read signals on both K data lines, it will never be an ADS interface.

Still no go. Took all the advice. The only time anything happens is when I put the interface to ADS then I get the dots and it says on. The interface is probably bad. By the way the question was really trying to ascertain how to reach the solution you proposed regarding adjusting the interface. Will source the cable.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I initially purchased a similar K+DCAN cable (white circuit board), which also never worked so I wound up replacing it with one from One Stop Electronics. K+DCAN interfaces are however definitely not the way to go with an ADS compliant car - for these cars an ADS interface working with a true serial port is really the only sensible option. If you intend to work on OBD cars, a switchable ADS/OBD interface provides the flexibility to work on cars up to 03/2007. See Benemorius' thread re his Tiny ADS interface for an ADS only model or rv8flyboy's website at http://www.interfaces4beemers.net for a switchable ADS/OBD unit.

Hey Davidmc. Got the interface you suggested but lost the old laptop. Now I have a laptop with Windows 8.1. Where do you suggest i get a download for INPA which is compatible? Thanks for help.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    If you want to save yourself grief download an old XP laptop with a true serial port from ebay.

I get your drift. So you don't think I should try any in the 4shared folder or use the VMware thingy?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    I don't use Windows 8 but to the best of my knowledge you would need to set up an XP virtual machine and load INPA into that, which doesn't sound too bad until you need to set up DIS as well. I have an old laptop that I use just for diagnostics - no internet, no annoying Java updates, no viruses - everything just works and I don't have to worry about having my files corrupted.

Hey Bummers, doing some reading but still not understanding why the daten notebook in NCSexpert is empty or how to populate it to stop getting the faulty chassis error. Appreciate any help I can get.

Oops! That should be "bummers"! Any bummer would be me trying bum some help!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Go back to your INPA installation disk and re-install the software (same procedure as original) but this time, instead of ticking INPA and EDIABAS (which you already have), tick NCSEXPERT, WINELDI and NFSWiNKFP.

Thanks again sport!

Done reinstall. Now I am getting code 3000 "xxkfconf.da2" in Winkfp and NCSexpert also in error. Checking the threads I am seeing references to downloading v41 which doesn't seem so straightforward to source. Really don't know the next move as I really don't want to concede defeat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12