Thread: Cleaning the MAF to get better MPGs

My Cars
    2000 540i

Thumbs up Cleaning the MAF to get better MPGs

Hey Guys,

So I wanted to clean my MAF sensor since the truck was neglected before I got it, so I made a how to video in case you would like to do the same. I tried to back up my results with some OBDII sensor readings before and after and all I noticed was a lower rpm at idle which is pretty good in my book. I also have gotten 1.5mpg better on my first tank of gas after this replacement.

I am going to do the same thing on my BMW so I figured I would share this with you guys!

**Let me know what you think and if the video was helpful, give it a “thumbs up” on YouTube (it helps me out, thanks)***

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Maf rarely get dirty to the point of needing cleaning in a properly maintained intake system.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    ^Not every one has a properly maintained intake system. Many people never ever change their air filters.

Some people find a benefit to cleaning their MAFs others don't. I tried cleaning the MAFs in my M5 and I didn't notice much difference. I then just went out and bought a new set of MAFs and there was a noticeable difference. The engine now runs much smoother when lugged. I didn't gain any appreciable increase in fuel mileage.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    Some of it maybe just a placebo. When I had M70 powered E32, MAFs would glow red for a few seconds during start up to do self cleaning.
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    K&N or oiled air filters can cause a dirty MAF.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    z3
    FWIW, 90% of the "My MAF is bad?" threads I see start with "My car was ok but I thought it would perform better if I cleaned the MAF so I sprayed it and now its giving me problems"

If it aint broke dont fix it IMHO. If you know the MAF is bad, spray it with the cleaner to try to fix it for free. When that doesnt work, replace it.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    N/A
    Just cleaned my MAF after it not being touched in probably, 12 years. There were small leaves, misc pieces of foliage and dirt all over the place. Startup became smooth, other misc problems I had been having were solved (we will see if ALL were solved come winter). Ironically my MPG went down ~2-4mpg because I like driving the POS again.