Thread: What should I do about a dealer damaging my vehicle? More than once....

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525

What should I do about a dealer damaging my vehicle? More than once....

Hello

As the title reads, Yes TWICE my vehicle was damaged by the dealership service department.

It all began after I replaced several suspension components including the rack and pinion. Naturally, the vehicle needed an alignment afterwards. I took it to my local area dealership who specializes in BMWs. During the alignment, they tore my rack and pinion boot. It took me about a month to realize what they did, I noticed it during an oil change. The boot was literally twisted like a corkscrew which resulted in two tears in the rubber.

Needless to say I was POed, so I called and complained, they said they would fix it. However, it has aftermarket tierods on them since it was a rebuilt rack, so they had trouble sourcing the part, STILL HAVE NOT FIXED IT by the way though they SAY they are looking at finding another one, but its been almost a month since they started "looking" for the rack and pinion boot.

So I called my service rep and I explain to him that there is a trust issue with their business and me, and I would appreciate it if they run a diagnostic test on the ABS. He agreed, they ran the diagnostic, which was awesome of them. I was even Surprised to see they washed my car "AWESOME" I thought. -------------------HOWEVER..... Today, about 6 days after they washed my car, I noticed terrible Microscruffs on the hood. Looks like some Idiot used 80 grit sandpaper for a couple of passes on my hood about 1 inch wide, and 5 inchdes long. Im beyond disappointed, and frankly, I will not trust my vehicle to them any longer. However, what Should I do about these two damages? I would like them to be repaired since the dealership is at fault, but I do not trust them to work on my car any longer.

Who can I contact? What should I do? I have alot of blood sweat and tears in the Vehicle.

I would contact the the vice president of the dealership if I was in you situation

My Cars
    '07 530i
    I would have called them immediately not several days later. There's nothing you can do now. They are going to brush you off and would tell you to xuck off and find yourself another dealer.

I would say, suck it up and move on atleast this way you would have some dignity and self respect. Do take some pictures as a reference in case, IF YOU EVER, have to take it back to them for some un known reason (convenience/short on time etc)

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasir View Post
    I would have called them immediately not several days later. There's nothing you can do now. They are going to brush you off and would tell you to xuck off and find yourself another dealer.

I would say, suck it up and move on atleast this way you would have some dignity and self respect. Do take some pictures as a reference in case, IF YOU EVER, have to take it back to them for some un known reason (convenience/short on time etc)
    Been sucking it up my whole life, when it comes to my vehicle I have zero tolerance for other peoples ignorance. Why is it that I, an untrained DIYer can take better care of a BMW than people who are being paid 20+ dollars an hour, or the 90+ the dealership charges? Its an insult and frankly I will not suck it up, no offense.

Just want it fixed, asking on the best way forward.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Ultimately proof... Proof the scratch wasnt there before. Proof that every car washed has the same marks... If they don't how come your car has em? Those are questions they could ask that's logical.
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    Quote Originally Posted by modular93fox View Post
    Ultimately proof... Proof the scratch wasnt there before. Proof that every car washed has the same marks... If they don't how come your car has em? Those are questions they could ask that's logical.
    I agree, every dealer should have a "check in" sheet which should document your vehicles external aesthetics. your service advisor should go over it with you and have u sign off on it b4 they start work.
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyhead97 View Post
    Who can I contact? What should I do?
    Who have you spoken to at the dealership?

My Cars
    95//M3- 01 Chevy 2500 HD
    Gonna be tough proving the scratch was or was not there when you left it for service... Especially since you didnt notice right away.

In for results tho. Hope it works out in your favor
    AFE 3.5" intake, 3.5" Euro HFM, 24# Injectors, TMS Chip, TMS Pulleys, TMS Shorty Headers, AA Track Pipe, Borla Catback, Billstein Sport Shocks, H&R Springs, TMS Adjustable trailing arms, X-Brace, TMS Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces, UUC Evo III SSK, UUC Shift Nob, DSSR selector rod, Fan delete.....

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Well, I don't have any specific advice about your situation, however, I don't know why you haven't named this dealer in your post. You might also ask around in your local sub-forum what others in your area think of the dealer, it may give you an indication at how they'll react to your situation.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Well, I don't have any specific advice about your situation, however, I don't know why you haven't named this dealer in your post. You might also ask around in your local sub-forum what others in your area think of the dealer, it may give you an indication at how they'll react to your situation.
    +1

FWIW

Customer Relations:
    1-800-831-1117
    customerrelations@bmwusa.com
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    All of your comments are correct.
    How am I going to prove it, is it even worth proving, and should I escalate to the VP of the dealership? All good questions.

After having a while to cool off, I have decided to "suck it up" as I can buff the scratches out with cutting compound (Meguire's). Secondly, They have been dragging their feet in buying the new universal boot, which I have located for them in town, told them the price, and the item number. So Im going to throw some new front control arms on, take the Universal rack and pinion boot in and tell them to fix it and ensure the alignment is good. Oh, and mention to please not wash the car. Thanks guys.

PS. I did not mention the dealer name because I told them I would not.

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    This is why no one touches any of my vehicles.

I can end up paying a premium for someone else to do a crappy job and or cause more damage/grief? Where can I sign up?!
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    stop taking your car to the dealer and get it done somewhere else or do it yourself.
    If they screwed up twice, I don't think they'll make it right the 3rd time.
    Besides, tech or anyone else wouldn't be as careful with your car since it's not brand new. This is just the way of life, they'll treat your car based on what it's worth.

I had a dealer replace the windshield for me. When I picked it up, they had dozens of glass pieces on the seats, they put too much seal on A pillars and had couple of pinched places in the dashboard. At that point, I didn't want them touching my car anymore, so I just left. Besides, once you've already paid, there is no incentive for them to make it right. From then, I always try to check the work first before I pay
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos