Thread: How long will it last.

How long will it last.

Hey Guys, I just bought my first BMW a 2014 228i and I just wanted to know from your experience with BMW cars in general. If you take really good care of the car and do all the maintenance, how long should I expect my 228i to last or how many miles before I start spending money on repair bills. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyd917 View Post
    Hey Guys, I just bought my first BMW a 2014 228i and I just wanted to know from your experience with BMW cars in general. If you take really good care of the car and do all the maintenance, how long should I expect my 228i to last or how many miles before I start spending money on repair bills. Thanks in advance.
    Well if you got the extended maintenance and warranty at least 100k miles before you have to start spending money (mods not included).

But as far as the new 4 cylinders that we will see down the line.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2013 128 M-Sport
    You could get an extended warranty, or you could check out Mike Miller's "lifetime maintenance plan." That calls for more/better maintenance along the way, including replacing some things not even called for by BMW itself. The payoff is a BMW you can drive for many years, and well past 100K miles.

I have a 2013 128 that I really enjoy driving, and I am thinking that route. I've already started by doing extra oil changes. I did a break-in change at 1,200 miles, another at 7K, and the dealer just did one at 12K.

BTW, Mike Miller writes a great tech column for BMW/CCA's Roundel magazine. If you have a friend who is a member, check out the column. He will e-mail you a copy of his maintenance plan for the asking.

My Cars
    99 M3
    based on the OPs question the answer is simple, you will drive it until the first major repair bill comes up then pass it on to the next guy
    '99 M3
    '82 320i

Thanks for the advice I already go the extended warranty the 7 year 100k miles one when I bought the car. What got me worried is that my buddy told me that with BMW once you're done with the monthly payments that's usually when the repair bills start especially with the newer models with all these new electronics in them. And that the old Bmw cars without the advanced electronics last usually twice as long as the newer ones. I hope that's not the case I plan on keeping this car for at least 200k and passing it down to my son one day.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyd917 View Post
    Thanks for the advice I already go the extended warranty the 7 year 100k miles one when I bought the car. What got me worried is that my buddy told me that with BMW once you're done with the monthly payments that's usually when the repair bills start especially with the newer models with all these new electronics in them. And that the old Bmw cars without the advanced electronics last usually twice as long as the newer ones. I hope that's not the case I plan on keeping this car for at least 200k and passing it down to my son one day.
    People have been saying the new generations will always not last as long etc. Same was said of the e90s and they seem to be putting along just fine so far.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    e36 325i, e85 Z4
    And then a 20-something like me buys it, and joins a forum for sympathy, haha!