Thread: Damaged dash board from suction GPS grip

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i Coupe MT

Damaged dash board from suction GPS grip

So I just bought my beautiful 2011 128i with only 13k miles on her last month and I've already damaged the interior. I made the mistake of putting an suction iphone grip on the dash to use as a gps since I got the car without idrive.

After leaving this phone grip on for a week in the hot Florida sun, I took it off and noticed an unsightly ring shaped indentation it left behind. This thing is a massive eyesore and I just can't stop staring at it. Apparently the constant heat and pressure from the suction grip squashed the soft touch dashboard material down for so long that it's now stuck this was.

I took it to the dealership and all they said the could do was put a heat gun on it for a while and see if it rises back up. That ended up not working and they told me the only other option I had was to buy a replacement dash for almost $2000!!!

Anyone else has ever had this issue? What other things can I try to get my soft touch dash back to its normal appearance? I would really appreciate any input on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    It almost seems that you didn't crush the foam more then you might have stretched the vinyl.

This is pretty drastic but there are kits out there that you can buy that allow you to inject liquid foam into the dash and fill in an area, it dries. This is commonly used for people that are redoing the leather on their dash board and get a few wrinkles in it that they need to have filled out.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    z3
    I would massage the area with a lot of pressure but it may very well be permanent. I persoanlly would not recommend injecting any sort of liquid foam or anything... I can almost guarantee it will just end up looking worse.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I would massage the area with a lot of pressure but it may very well be permanent. I persoanlly would not recommend injecting any sort of liquid foam or anything... I can almost guarantee it will just end up looking worse.
    What he said.

A bad repair will look worse than the mark in the dash you have now.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I'd wait a week or so to see if the dash heals itself. You've got to wonder what modern car makers are using for materials these days.

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    I'd wait a week or so to see if the dash heals itself. You've got to wonder what modern car makers are using for materials these days.
    This. I would be surprised if it didn't fix itself.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by downeaster1 View Post
    This. I would be surprised if it didn't fix itself.
    It will may get better but who knows what the heat gun has done to it. The materials have some memory but a heat gun will almost certainly relax the material enough that if it doesn't cure it becomes permanent.
    I'd NOT attempt any repairs, it will be worse. Even if a very competent job by a vinyl repair expert that can fill the depression and match the grain this is a prominent spot that you KNOW is there so it will always be visible, at least to you.
    A replacement dash from a wrecker would be the practical solution.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    For starters, I'm staggered by the fact that the suction cup even stuck and stayed on the grainy material.

That said, I'd give it time (and when I say that I mean a couple of hot weeks) ... that material should flex back into it's original shape at least a little: might not be perfect but it will be better than anything you can do at this point, short of buying a brand new dash (which is a bear of a job).

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtdahooligan View Post
    ...the only other option I had was to buy a replacement dash for almost $2000!!!
    Start keeping an eye out for someone parting out your model, and you can probably get this dash for lots less.

Still, as the damage is done, if it doesn't improve in the next couple of weeks, maybe just put the grip back, because even an iphone looks better.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    stick a bmw badge to cover the area
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    At least it's centered.

Don't sweat it. In a couple of weeks, either it'll disappear, or you'll stop noticing it, which is almost as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    I wish my cars were nice enough to where I could be concerned with stuff like this.

Hashtagmycarsareturdboxes

downeaster1 is offline Expert De-Vanos-er BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    135is #502 of 586
    If you were closer, I'd say bring it in and someone at my shop will warranty it lol