Thread: Needs advice for Transmission Faults.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i

Needs advice for Transmission Faults.

Dear all,

I own a 2006 BMW 530i and has about 200K mileage with it. Just recently, it has been giving me issues with 'Transmission Fault Error' and has locked my acceleration to below 80km/h. The only way for me to reset the message is by turning off the ignition and restart the car again. Sometime it still stays there, sometime the message went off and I am able to drive normally. Well, not that normal anymore because the car jerks each time whenever the car down shifts. I have been tolerating this issue and got the hang of it but its not enjoyable driving with full awareness on such a powerful car avoiding the issue. Each time it happened, its worsen, transmission fault error message pops up more often and the jerked when I put my car into a stop.

I have sent my car to my local BMW agent. They performed OBD scans and advise me to replace the transmission. They quoted at a discounted fee of B$9,200.00 (USD$7,352.00) for the transmission excluding their labor charge of B$430.00 (USD$343.00). I really love this car but the fee is too heavy for me at the moment. I searched for solutions in forums such as Battery Check, Transmission Software Update, OBD2 scans, tweaking gear ratio and found a 2nd hand transmission for sale locally at B$7,000.00 (USD$5,594.00).

My question is, is there any way that I can find new genuine transmission replacement at a cheaper price that I can ship to my country? Otherwise, I have to go to my local BMW agent for the transmission replacement.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Bunshaka

My Cars
    2005 545
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunshaka View Post
    Dear all,

I own a 2006 BMW 530i and has about 200K mileage with it. Just recently, it has been giving me issues with 'Transmission Fault Error' and has locked my acceleration to below 80km/h. The only way for me to reset the message is by turning off the ignition and restart the car again. Sometime it still stays there, sometime the message went off and I am able to drive normally. Well, not that normal anymore because the car jerks each time whenever the car down shifts. I have been tolerating this issue and got the hang of it but its not enjoyable driving with full awareness on such a powerful car avoiding the issue. Each time it happened, its worsen, transmission fault error message pops up more often and the jerked when I put my car into a stop.

I have sent my car to my local BMW agent. They performed OBD scans and advise me to replace the transmission. They quoted at a discounted fee of B$9,200.00 (USD$7,352.00) for the transmission excluding their labor charge of B$430.00 (USD$343.00). I really love this car but the fee is too heavy for me at the moment. I searched for solutions in forums such as Battery Check, Transmission Software Update, OBD2 scans, tweaking gear ratio and found a 2nd hand transmission for sale locally at B$7,000.00 (USD$5,594.00).

My question is, is there any way that I can find new genuine transmission replacement at a cheaper price that I can ship to my country? Otherwise, I have to go to my local BMW agent for the transmission replacement.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    Bunshaka
    Did the shop give you the actual codes and explain the reason why they recommend a new transmission ? There is a few things that can make a transmission lock you into safe mode that may not require a new transmission ..

My Cars
    '87 329iS, '08 Alpina B7
    I can just about guarantee that the source of your problems are failed solenoids in the Mechatronic. You can either a) replace the set of solenoids, b) replace the entire Mechatronic, or c) replace the entire gearbox

Whatever option you choose, you need to address it RIGHT AWAY, or you will definitely be doing option C. the clutch packs inside of your transmission do NOT like to slip for very long before they wear themselves into tiny, useless bits. There is also a bridge seal that sits between the valve body and transmission casing that is well known to fail and cause the sorts of problems you are describing. It's a $14 part. I cringe to think of how many transmissions have been sold to customers by dealers not because of catastrophic internal failure, but because of a $14 part going bad and a tech not being properly trained on how to correctly service the 6HPXX generation of gearboxes.

BMW techs are not trained on how to repair these transmissions. They will replace either a complete valve body (Mechatronic) or the entire gearbox. They take a shotgun blast approach to transmission problems, because that's what they're trained to do.

Having said all of that, 200K is a lot of mileage on a transmission. It is certainly possible that it has simply reached the end of its service life. Did anyone routinely change the filter and fluids in your transmission? ZF recommends regular servicing between 48000 and 72000km. BMW says 100000 miles. BMW didn't manufacture the transmission. ZF did. I know who I'd listen to.

There are a bunch of us that have already gone through this over on 5series.net.

good luck.
    Last edited by Kyle B; 08-10-2014 at 01:56 PM.

My Cars
    lots o cars
    I just picked up a 2005 545i for $1000 due to trans issues basically as you describe. I was going to replace the mechatronic assembly, but The CTSC pointed me in the direction of the seal mentioned above. I changed that seal and the mechatronic seal along with a new filter pan and fluid and the transmission feels damn near perfect. Not bad for 4 hours of my time and $250.

My Cars
    2009 bmw 750li
    Hi I am looking at a 2009 bmw 750li the guy is selling it to me at a cheap price due to that he says it runs and drives good but every now and then it says transmission failure and u have to pull over and shut the car off and restart it and message will not pop back up and u are able to drive it fine he says it ill do it every other day sometimes weeks later .does any one knw what could be wrong with it im looking to buy it but not trying to spend thousands on a new transmission replacement .. any body know about these symptoms please help me out before I make a mistake on this car purchase ... it has about 105k....

- - - Updated - - -

hi kyle im pretty new to this thread I need to see if u can help me out ? im lookin at a 09 bmw 750li runs and drives good every now and then it displays transmission failure and u must shut of the car and restart it to clear it and be able to drive it .. it has 105k on it any ideas on what it could be and about how much I could be lookin at to fix ?