Thread: AC Compressor shuts off in the rain

My Cars
    Old Datsun Z

AC Compressor shuts off in the rain

Hi Folks,
    My daughters 2000 323i has me stumped with an intermittent problem where the AC compressor shuts off in the rain. The air keeps blowing out of the vents but no cooling/drying which can lead to dangerously fogged windows. We have replaced the auxiliary radiator cooling fan thinking we had a short there, but the problem remained. I have tried spraying water on front of the car and under the hood hoping to isolate the problem area but have not hit the bad spot yet.
    It doesn't do it in every shower, but the harder it rains, the greater the chance of the malfunction. I have searched the forums and seen a few similar cases but never a solution. Does anybody have an idea of what is causing this? I need to get this fixed ASAP, but there is no chance of rain in the forecast help induce the problem!

Tom

My Cars
    1991 318is
    Maybe water is splashing on the belt and causing it to slip?

My Cars
    Old Datsun Z
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmpower View Post
    Maybe water is splashing on the belt and causing it to slip?
    Nope...its not the belt. I think I have found it. The car has some slight bumper damage and the ambient air temp probe is missing. When I wet down that wiring harness and connector, the compressor shuts off. Blow it dry with the air compressor and give it while to dry fully and it works again! I'll get back out there in the daylight tomorrow and protect and better insulate those wires and try again.

Thanks for the response.

Tom

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Have the pressures on the system looked and and make sure the engine bay under paneling is all present and installed.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast