Thread: Problems after changing valve cover gaskets and plugs

Problems after changing valve cover gaskets and plugs

So I decided to be a DIY guy and change my valve cover gasket and put in new plugs myself. I watched several YouTube vids on how to do it and it seemed simple enough. After following all directions to a T I felt pretty proud and couldn't wait to start up my 04' 530i however I quickly realized I must have made a mistake along the way. On the first start up everything seemed fine for the first bout 10 to 15 seconds and then white smoke began to fill the sky very rapidly, so I shut it off. After that about 5 to 10 mins later I decided to try another time, this time no smoke and I thought it was just a fluke thing so I let it run but after about 45 seconds it began to smell funny. I can't really describe the smell very well other than it was almost an electrical burning type smell but also kind of oil smell. It was unlike anything I have ever smelled before. So if anyone has any ideas on how to help this guy that probably shouldn't do it myself, but will anyway, I would appreciate it.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    check and make sure you didnt pinch part of the wiring harness with the valve cover.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

Thanks I'll check it now

Got it fixed, I just reset the plug boots and it was fine thanks for the help