RM European Auto Parts

Thread: E34 touring manual conversion parts question

My Cars
    1994 BMW e34 touring

E34 touring manual conversion parts question

Hi,

Pretty new here, so i hope this is in the right section.
    Anyway, i have a 94' 525i, auto trans is on its way out, so im looking to convert it to manual.
    my main question is that i have a 85' 323i manual, i have read that i will be able to use the gearbox from that?
    If this is possible, can i use any other parts from my 323i to complete this conversion?

any input and info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well I for one would not use parts from an E-30 to put into a E-34. Take the time and find a E-34 with a 5-speed and an M50/M52TU. I have heard that the M20 uses the same bolt pattern, but you will have to do the research. The drive-shaft is different, the shift linkage is different, ect. I am not sure that the pedal box from an E-30 would even work in a E-34, too much SWAG to pull that off.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1994 BMW e34 touring
    Thanks for your reply dworthy.

Ideally yes, i should wait and get the right parts from that era car, but it is considerably pricey for those parts as the conversion is sort of common.
    But i did think that because i had the full donor car that i would be able to make it work.
    I suppose i should finish my e30 m54 conversion first!

thanks again mate!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The pedals definitely will NOT work. The driveshaft will not work. Personally, I agree with dworthy, and would not try this swap; and I have swapped several auto BMWs to manual boxes.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471