Thread: snapped bell housing tranny bolts

My Cars
    1998 328is

snapped bell housing tranny bolts

was putting my transmission back in, managed to snap 2 of the small torx.. both were snapped about mid way thru, leaving the threaded part of the bolt only inside the bell housing

i have a feeling one of the starter bolts is on its way out too, i was tightening the one closest to the driver side, and it wasn't getting tighter, so i imagine it would of only been a matter of time before it twisted and snapped as well

what is the best way to get these bolts out? really crappy this had to happen.. everything has a shelf life i guess

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    If there was enough resistance to snap the bolt before it was fully seated you've cross threaded the hole. I suspect you'll have that trans out again to remove the broken bolts and run a tap through the holes.
    Just putting another bolt in is asking for this all over again.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    If there was enough resistance to snap the bolt before it was fully seated you've cross threaded the hole. I suspect you'll have that trans out again to remove the broken bolts and run a tap through the holes.
    Just putting another bolt in is asking for this all over again.
    fair enough

i managed to get both bolts out by turning them out with a small pair of channel locks on the other side of the bell housing

still though, the new bolts did not go in like they should. they had a very soft feeling to them, and it would be my assumption they'd snap as well

i will look into getting them tapped. right now i'm fighting with the starter