eBMWParts

Thread: Recommendations needed for after market control arms/ball joints

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi

Recommendations needed for after market control arms/ball joints

I have a 2004 325xi with 138K miles that is starting to need some TLC. A year ago the outer CV boots were leaking grease (actually dry) so I replaced the axles. The rear coil springs are notorious for breaking with all the salt used on our Iowa winter roads so I just replaced them. I started having a shimmy in the front end the past month. I had the tires (new in December) rotated and the balance checked. New front brake pads and rotors were replaced a year (8K miles) ago. My mechanic is now telling me it's ball joints/control arms. I don't want to use OEM BMW parts on a car this old that I plan on keeping only another year or so. What after market brands do you recommend and which ones do I need to steer clear of? It's my understanding that I should replace the lower control arms and both upper and lower ball joints. What about struts while I'm at it (still the original ones)? Is there a kit available with everything I need? Anything else I need to check and/or replace at this point in time?

My Cars
    99 328is, 84 M54 E30
    Meyle control arms should get you by for that time. The control arm bushing will need to be done also. I would recommend the solid rubber m3 bushings.

Provided the car still handles ok for you, I wouldn't do anything else as you plan to sell it.
    PM me for info on properly working AC and CEL for your S54 or M54 swapped car.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiacbw View Post
    Meyle control arms should get you by for that time. The control arm bushing will need to be done also. I would recommend the solid rubber m3 bushings.

Provided the car still handles ok for you, I wouldn't do anything else as you plan to sell it.
    Thanks for your input. Am I safe to assume you agree that the upper and lower ball joints should both be done? What about struts since they're the original ones? My mechanic didn't say anything about them, but stopped at ball joints when he heard the symptoms. Something I read on the forum about a similar problem mentioned sway bar ends links, but I don't even know what they are. Please educate me. I hope to only be keeping it another year, but don't want to put crap parts on it if it's longer.

My Cars
    99 328is, 84 M54 E30
    There are strut mounts, no upper ball joints. At 138k miles the struts are likely very much in need of replacement, a set of Koni STR.T shocks and struts are around $350 for all 4 (I would do some research on these, I believe they're supposed to be decent). Sway bar end link attach the sway bar to the control arm. The sway bar bushings are cheap and the end links aren't too expensive, if your mechanic feels they need to be replaced. My bet would be on control arms + bushings for your problem.
    PM me for info on properly working AC and CEL for your S54 or M54 swapped car.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325xi
    Thanks for you recommendations and the education!