Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Shiny engine bay

My Cars
    325IS

Shiny engine bay

Last week while changing out my power steering fluid, I discovered something amazing. Some of the P/s fluid spilled onto the intake manifold. So, when I was wiping it off, I saw how shiny it made the plastic look. So, I started wiping off the rest of the plastic pieces in the engine bay with the p/s fluid and it looks amazing. I figured it could'nt hurt since the fluid comes in a plastic btl anyway. Try it, you might like it. you can actually see the dirt come of the plastic. i would not use it on the rubber pieces. only the hard plastic.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i
    Isnt it really greasy like ArmorAll?
    |ProjectTechnik| - The Alberta BMW Enthusiast Community

E36 328i - OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |

E46 325xi Touring

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club #343!

|Canadian Alpina Forum|

My Cars
    E36 M3
    If you like how it looks with the P/S fluid, try burnt engine oil!

My Cars
    325IS
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATH2000 View Post
    Isnt it really greasy like ArmorAll?
    Not greasy at all. Give it a try, you might like it. If not, just wash it off.

My Cars
    '06 Z4MR, '11 328i E92
    Interesting how you discovered this lol. I once spilled some engine oil on my engine too. It was upsetting and wiped it off immediately. It looked awesomely clean!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    .... and is a dust magnet.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Don't use engine oil, or power steering fluid, or transmission fluid, or gear oil, or coolant, or brake fluid, or washer fluid on your engine bay. The fluids come in a plastic bottle, but your engine bay has many plastics aside from the polyethylene used in oil bottles. Your engine bay also contains the following: various types of rubber compounds, thermoplastics, wiring, fiber hoses, gaskets, paint, various grades and surface finishes of aluminum, various grades and surface finishes of steel, various types of corrosion preventive coatings on metals and fasteners, electronic parts, foils, motors, actuators, and a few other things.
    Do use a specific cleaner and a specific dressing (like Meguiar's Hyper Dressing) to clean and dress your engine bay.
    Don't be an idiot and try to spread bogus or stupid advice.

+1

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    How do you feel about using tire shine on the black plastics? I've seen lots of people shine up coolant hoses and while this is meant soley for tires, is it harmful to the rubber hoses or plastics? Im guessing it too atracts dust
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    2004 Toyota Land Crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post
    Don't use engine oil, or power steering fluid, or transmission fluid, or gear oil, or coolant, or brake fluid, or washer fluid on your engine bay. The fluids come in a plastic bottle, but your engine bay has many plastics aside from the polyethylene used in oil bottles. Your engine bay also contains the following: various types of rubber compounds, thermoplastics, wiring, fiber hoses, gaskets, paint, various grades and surface finishes of aluminum, various grades and surface finishes of steel, various types of corrosion preventive coatings on metals and fasteners, electronic parts, foils, motors, actuators, and a few other things.
    Do use a specific cleaner and a specific dressing (like Meguiar's Hyper Dressing) to clean and dress your engine bay.
    This.

I'd clean it off with some dish soap and water when you have the chance.
    2003 BMW 330Ci-TS/Black 5 speed manual- loadedSold
    2002 BMW M3- CB/Black 6 speed manual- loaded Sold
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP-IB/Black 6 speed manual- loaded Lease up
    2003.5 BMW M3- CB/Black 6 speed manual- loaded Sold
    2010 BMW 550i M Sport SG/NB 6 speed manual- loaded Sold
    2008 BMW 750Li Sport BSM/NB- loaded Gave to my dad
    2008 BMW M5 Black Sapphire Metallic/Sepang Bronze Merino 6 speed manual- HUD, soft close doors, comfort access, cold weather, sunshades current beast

2004 Toyota Land Cruiser Thundercloud Metallic/Stone
    2005 Lexus LX470 Black Onyx/Stone Wifey's

My Cars
    2013 BMW 135i M-Sport
    303 Aerospace protectant works great on all your rubber, plastic, and vinyl bits, inside and out.

My Cars
    BMW M4 F82
    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85 View Post
    Also, doesn't coating your engine bay in any of that stuff make your car stink once it's warmed up?!
    Last edited by Cmann; 09-05-2014 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Miss Spelling