Thread: Opinions?

My Cars
    2002 325Ci M Sport

Thumbs up Opinions?

Hello Bimmerforum...

I'm a newbie here, and thought that this sounded like a good place to seek some advice and opinions on a few BMW models

I've been the proud owner of an '02 E46 325Ci MSport for 4 happy years now and I love it. Time moves on however, and with a 120 mile/day commute starting in September, I'm thinking about trading it in for something slightly more modern which is a) zippier and b) more economical (having my cake and eating it, I know)

I'm looking at either an E9x 3-Series' or a 1 Series (Saloon), somewhere around the £10K - £12K mark. Thoughts so far:

123D - the sensible option my girlfriend would want me to get
    330D - another sensible option
    135i/335i - both look like great fun, (but probably a little impractical)
    335D - looks like a winner on paper: fast, and relatively economical.
    330i - attractive, not least because of reasonable 2nd hand prices.

I'm going to aim to test drive them all of course, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions in the meantime :-)

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    1 series hatch diesel or a new fiesta
    Lazy Saturday drive in my E34: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzvZgPnOos

My Cars
    1991 325i
    i say 335d in stick
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    z3
    335d if you can swing it those are really quick cars, personally though I'd take the 1 series.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    This is not what you asked, but have you ever considered 2 cars? Maybe you can't afford 2, don't have the room, or just don't want two, but this way you could get a really good commuter car, and keep the car you love. I was watching an old episode of Top Gear recently and Jeremy commented about a VW diesel something that he got 75mpg on a commuter run.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    335d if you can swing it those are really quick cars, personally though I'd take the 1 series.
    Yes the 335D is looking like the best option at the moment.

I do like the look of the 1 series coupe as well (not the hatch). A lot of praise is heaped on the 123D, and although on paper it's the slowest of the bunch, I'm wondering if a remap could put it's performance closer to a 3L diesel 3-series but with better fuel economy.

Were fuel costs not so much of an issue I'd be getting one of the '35s, but well....I live in the the UK!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    This is not what you asked, but have you ever considered 2 cars? Maybe you can't afford 2, don't have the room, or just don't want two, but this way you could get a really good commuter car, and keep the car you love. I was watching an old episode of Top Gear recently and Jeremy commented about a VW diesel something that he got 75mpg on a commuter run.
    It hadn't crossed my mind. The cost of owning 2 cars would probably negate the fuel savings, plus I'd prefer something that's fun to drive, to make that daily commute palatable! Fortunately it's usually a fast drive, not stop-start traffic, so there are plenty of opportunities to open up on the the motorway

Might end end up just sticking with the e46...it's just that one gets itchy feet after owning the same car for 4 years....
    Last edited by domsmart; 07-31-2014 at 04:40 AM.