Thread: Car getting serviced Wed.. Could AFE Scorcher & Intake void warranty?

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive Coupe

Car getting serviced Wed.. Could AFE Scorcher & Intake void warranty?

My Car is going in to the dealer on Wednesday for it's first service (a little overdue, 7800 miles) I am also getting a check engine light fixed. I spoke to service and they said that something like a faulty relay is probably causing it and it has actually been something that has been going on with a lot of the new BMW's.

Anyway, I have had an AFE cold air intake and an AFE Scorcher kit in my car for the past six months and I am really worried it could be traceable, even if removed. That is why initially I was not going to take it to BMW for service, but because of the check engine light, I really don't have a choice. So I called AFE and spoke with technical support. The guy seemed to know a lot about the product and told me it won't be a problem because the scorcher does not alter anything on the cars EWS. He told me it works by tricking the throttle into thinking more power is needed than normally which in return makes the turbo and the entire intake work harder. He even told me that his colleague who he confirmed it with in the background even brought his 5 series in with a scorcher and intake to a dealer and it was no issue at all.

Should I believe what they are telling me? I think I will at least take the scorcher out, but what about the intake...? Could I leave it in? or should I put the factory one in for service?

Mileage: 30,300 --- Also Driven: 2015 E89 Z4 sDrive28i Mineral White Metallic & 2016 F48 X1 xDrive28i Alpine White

My Cars
    1991 325i
    It wont void the entire warranty, but if they trace an issue (like a check engine light) back to having something to do with your aftermarket part, that repair may not be covered by the warranty. But an issue not associated with whatever you install that is aftermarket shouldnt be affected.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    z3
    It wont void the warranty, the warranty however will become non-applicable to the engine and intake components.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive Coupe
    Thanks for the replies! I just have a follow up question... If I were to put the Factory original parts back in and took the aftermarket parts out for service, would the dealer find traces of the AFE Scorcher module I had plugged in? AFE told me it would leave not traces but should I believe them?

Mileage: 30,300 --- Also Driven: 2015 E89 Z4 sDrive28i Mineral White Metallic & 2016 F48 X1 xDrive28i Alpine White

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    Rudolph320i & Bimmerbreaker are both right.

keep in mind, your service adviser will also note in the RO that your car has after market parts. if anything happens down the line, that is even remotely related to those parts and or they can prove those parts had a direct impact on any warranty issue , your warranty claim will be denied by BMW NA. ( ask me how i know)

another food for thought, the Techs are trained to look for any type of tampering like screws and or bolts that have been removed b4. FYI so just be careful not to score any bolts & screws

as for the afe scorcher tune, ( for your N20 right?) the DME does record various types of on board data. when the N54 &N55 1st came out, and everyone started tuning it, it wasn't a big deal, but once they started going for the high boost tunes like the JB4 tune, i know about over 30 warranty claims ( personal & business contacts ) that were denied by BMW NA. however the whole warranty is not null tho, only the engine and drive terrain warranty would be denied.
    Last edited by rob22sf; 07-28-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by rob22sf View Post
    ...if anything happens down the line, that is even remotely related...
    +1

I've seen all too many companies reach for any other way to avoid a warranty repair, even blaming something that isn't even remotely related.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive Coupe
    UPDATE: I took everything out yesterday except for my aftermarket headlights and my led daytime running light. I just got a call from the dealer saying the check engine light was a misfire due to low fuel but no damage was done. There was no mention of any issues with aftermarket parts.

Unfortunately, they found a nail in my rear driver's side tire. $295 for a new run-flat. Oh the terrors of run-flats... Oh well...

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    always good to hear a success story

sorry about the tire....

IMO if the nail was not near the side wall, you could just plug it yourself for a temporary fix , i know this issue has been discussed many times here over & over on BFC.. many advise against it, as it is safety concern issue when it comes to fixing run flats. many shops IE Goodyear, Firestone , BigO etc will fix run flats, however the dealer will not.
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    The main reason we don't fix runflats is from the experience of what we see when we break down the tire/wheel and see that the inside edge where the sidewall meets the tread usually has a split in it that runs the inner circumference of the tire. Also most of these tires smell burnt so the whole carcass has been subject to a lot of heat. We also have no idea of whether someone just got a puncture or has been adding air to their "slow leak". Its amazing how people can drive "expensive" cars that have been "tuned" and be so damn cheap, especially when it comes to the main contact point between their baby and the road. Glad you did right and bought the tire.

My Cars
    2013 135i, 1994 Jeep XJ
    +1 to ptarditi.

When a conventional tire is flat, you know it's flat. You don't drive on it.

When a runflat is flat, it doesn't look flat. You keep driving on it even though the low tire pressure light is on. The tire destroys itself from the inside out.

There is no reason why you can't patch/plug a runflat if a puncture is caught in time. I plugged one of my own tires because I check my tire pressure regularly and noticed that one was a few pounds low. The light never came on.

Dealers won't repair runflats because there is too much liability. We really don't know what that tire has been through.

OK, about aftermarket "tuning" and what not... My dealer doesn't give a crap. If we can make a claim, we make money. The only time it's a problem is when we need BMW approval to replace a part (i.e. engine, turbo, transmission, expensive stuff) The dealers -in my experience- are not out to void warranties, BMW is.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 135i
    Good to hear it worked out. I wouldn't be surprised if piggyback module tunes could be found by looking at long term fuel trim readings.

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive Coupe
    Thanks for the input everyone! Run-flats are not something I am opposed to because they do definitely stop you from getting a completely flat tire with a major leak. I happened only to have a nail in my tire, but still, I never like to take chances with safety related items and listen to the dealers recommendations most of the time. Since I don't drive too many miles a year, its not a huge deal if a runflat needs to be replace now and then. But I know someone who would drove a 2011 328xi about 30k a year and for him having runflats were a problem since he would pick up about 2-3 nails in his tires every year or so. It is true he had to replace tires more often anyway, because of the mileage... But then 2 months after getting new tires, he would have a nail and need a new tire again. It can definitely add up depending on how your car is driven, but I think they have more pros than cons.

My Cars
    1991 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by kmac47 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone! Run-flats are not something I am opposed to because they do definitely stop you from getting a completely flat tire with a major leak. I happened only to have a nail in my tire, but still, I never like to take chances with safety related items and listen to the dealers recommendations most of the time. Since I don't drive too many miles a year, its not a huge deal if a runflat needs to be replace now and then. But I know someone who would drove a 2011 328xi about 30k a year and for him having runflats were a problem since he would pick up about 2-3 nails in his tires every year or so. It is true he had to replace tires more often anyway, because of the mileage... But then 2 months after getting new tires, he would have a nail and need a new tire again. It can definitely add up depending on how your car is driven, but I think they have more pros than cons.
    This is why I like spare tires, and bmw's way better than the honda run flat system by a long shot.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.