Thread: Green with envy

My Cars
    '05 120i Hatch Lotus '01

Green with envy

I recently purchased a Ruby red sports car and there are not many on the road, Porches are common compared to these. Anyway SWIM was green with envy - I wouldn't really call him a friend just an acquaintance but he hates it if I have anything better than him, all of a sudden two weeks later SWIM says "Oh I just found out that my 98 320i has an 'M' engine - seems suspicious to me, he says that according to the engine number its an 'M' Anyone know how to tell if it is?

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    While it is entirely possible that it was swapped, I'd say that his car likely has a ... m52b20 (where M stands for ... motor).

Either way, I wouldn't worry about that kind of people. You know what you have, be happy with that. I know plenty of people who have nicer cars and brag about them, and in a lot of cases I know I have far more money than they ever will ... I just prefer not to spend it all on my cars, in a pissing contest against them.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Ask him for that number and check in here: http://www.ge39.com/files/zeigeinfo.pdf
    The 'S' engines are the M-car engines. The 'M' engines are the regulars, if that makes sense...

I'd expect it to be what Slocar said though.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    z3
    Who cares

Let him enjoy his delusion

Quick way to tell though, just FWIW, is the oil filter housing is metal on the S52/S50 and black plastic on the M52/M50

S52 above, M52 below

Don't trust the valve cover, the oil filter housing is a more definitive way to tell, but still not definitive by any means. The only real way to check is to get underneath and either read the VIN - looking for it to start with "WBS" vs "WBA" or look for the engine code on the lower side of the engine

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    There is no such thing as a s52 in Australia ... and a m52 and the real s50 look worlds apart.

My Cars
    e36m3/4/5, e46330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post

Quick way to tell though, just FWIW, is the oil filter housing is metal on the S52/S50 and black plastic on the M52/M50 trust the valve cover, the oil filter housing is a more definitive way to tell, but still not definitive by any means.

#Trudat, my m50 has a metal housing/top also.

- - - Updated - - -
    Old pic from 2010

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    There is no such thing as a s52 in Australia ... and a m52 and the real s50 look worlds apart.
    Did not realize he was in Australia, good catch

As you say the M engines over there and the non-M engines look completely different!

And after thinking about I think all M50 came the metal filter housing. I don't deal with a lot of M50's so not super familiar with that engine.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    e36m3/4/5, e46330i
    Yeah, m52 is the only plastic cover IIRC, but I agree that the only definitive way is to check the VIN.

My Cars
    M50 E36, N54 E82
    Who cares

Let him enjoy his delusion

Quick way to tell though, just FWIW, is the oil filter housing is metal on the S52/S50 and black plastic on the M52/M50

S52 above, M52 below

Don't trust the valve cover, the oil filter housing is a more definitive way to tell, but still not definitive by any means. The only real way to check is to get underneath and either read the VIN - looking for it to start with "WBS" vs "WBA" or look for the engine code on the lower side of the engine

Not true.. my 1995 325i has an M50 with a metal oil filter housing..

h&r's, x-brace, 3.23, sway bars = fun

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Reizvoll View Post
    Not true.. my 1995 325i has an M50 with a metal oil filter housing..
    Great. Thats what I said like 2 posts later.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    If I were you, OP, I'd just leave it alone even if you do confirm that it's not an M engine. I drive a bmw, my friend drives a Hyundai Sonata, and according him, the Sonata is a better car - it's certainly better for him. And so what, one thing you'll find in life is...there's always something better.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    '05 120i Hatch Lotus '01
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    If I were you, OP, I'd just leave it alone even if you do confirm that it's not an M engine. I drive a bmw, my friend drives a Hyundai Sonata, and according him, the Sonata is a better car - it's certainly better for him. And so what, one thing you'll find in life is...there's always something better.
    That's true - I suggested he get one of those M striped badges off eBay and he just went quiet. I'm not competitive, its just this one person who always goes on about how much he has in the bank and his $8K watch etc (I wonder if it has anything to do with his stutter) - He drives a Peugeot wagon of some sort - diesel and says it would beat my X5 in a race. My V8 against his family wagon pfffff!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcat77 View Post
    That's true - I suggested he get one of those M striped badges off eBay and he just went quiet. I'm not competitive, its just this one person who always goes on about how much he has in the bank and his $8K watch etc (I wonder if it has anything to do with his stutter) - He drives a Peugeot wagon of some sort - diesel and says it would beat my X5 in a race. My V8 against his family wagon pfffff!
    I'll race his Peugeot by foot and still win.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    e36m3/4/5, e46330i
    Great. Thats what I said like 2 posts later.
    And I said it one post before you, lol......with a pic.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by ratcat77 View Post
    ...(I wonder if it has anything to do with his stutter)...
    Take the high road in your next conversation. If someone always needs to feel like they've won...let them. As you say, you're not competitive.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.