Thread: Once the ship leaves S. Africa with my 328i on it, rough timeframe to get to my port?

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325 (E30), red, excellent condition

Once the ship leaves S. Africa with my 328i on it, rough timeframe to get to my port?

I don't have a VIN for the vehicle and don't want to bother with tracking the actual ship down, but I think the stories I've been getting from the guys at BMW sound unrealistically optimistic. I have a 2014 328i on the way (very well equipped might I add...), and the dealer said when the factory order was placed (June 25th) that it would be "up to 8 weeks" for it to be ready for pickup from their lot.

Production began in S. Africa last week and ended mid-late last week. The folks at the 1-800 number who can give the most updated status said that it was "shipped" (as in on the water shipped) on the 22nd, which sounds hard to believe; I would think it would take more than 48 hours from the time production is done to the time the boat leaves. The guys at the 800 number also stated that it would take 1 to maybe 2 weeks for the car to arrive to the destination port IN THE US. This makes no sense to me. A ship travelling from S. Africa to the port where mine will be going (presumably Charleston) with multiple stops on the way -- there is no way it would get there within two weeks.

Anyone have recent experience with this? I thought the car passed through Germany first; even if not, I am wondering what the legitimate typical timeframe is. If you know, please let me know.

Semi-relatedly, my wife has a 2015 X5 up for production in early August (week 32), also very well equipped. I am wondering whose will arrive to the dealership first and am thinking of putting a friendly wager up on it with my wife... If I win the bet I get to drive the first car until the second arrives, if she wins she does

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Track the ship. It will give you an estimated date of arrival. Once the car gets to port, it will depend on any port installed accessories and how busy the port is. No one has given you any indication that there is something wrong, why are you questioning everything?

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325 (E30), red, excellent condition
    Quote Originally Posted by timsev View Post
    Track the ship. It will give you an estimated date of arrival. Once the car gets to port, it will depend on any port installed accessories and how busy the port is. No one has given you any indication that there is something wrong, why are you questioning everything?
    I guess part of it is just me not wanting to set expectations high... if they are low enough they are sure to be exceeded, I dunno. But realistically, a cargo ship travelling 40 miles an hour 24/7 in a straight line from Cape Town to Charleston takes over 8 days to get there. Maybe they go faster than I think...?

I don't want to spend half of my waking day every day looking at a ship's GPS report :p I would rather just hear from some folks who have had experience with this to know what to generally expect. Sorry if the OP (or this one!) seem too negative.

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    Um, them cargo ships definitely do not do 40 mph. Just chill out and not worry about it, as it will get to you sooner or later.

Congrats on the purchase!

My Cars
    F80 M3, 95 325is
    2-4 weeks

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Just sit back and relax and hope the ship doesnt get attacked by pirates

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I'd rather drive the E30 than either of those... and its already stateside.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    I'd rather drive the E30 than either of those... and its already stateside.
    Why do you have to be such an ass? Not everyone wants to drive a shitbox e30 forever.

To the OP, shipment takes a little longer from South Africa, but travel time depends on a lot of variables. Weather, unexpected mechanical delays, port delays, personell issues, etc. Sometimes ships get here faster than expected, sometimes they take forever. Find something else to occupy your time with so you don't stress over the car. Nothing you do is going to make the car arrive any sooner.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by timsev View Post
    Why do you have to be such an ass? Not everyone wants to drive a shitbox e30 forever.

No offence but, especially not one with that body kit...

Regarding OP, I don't know why you trust a forum that is made up of people who 95% have never bought a new BMW to tell you when your car will get there; instead of trusting the dealer who... you know... sells new cars for a living and has probably done this a few times.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    95//M3- 01 Chevy 2500 HD
    40mph?! More like 25-30 weather and current depending...

Track the ship and make it easy
    AFE 3.5" intake, 3.5" Euro HFM, 24# Injectors, TMS Chip, TMS Pulleys, TMS Shorty Headers, AA Track Pipe, Borla Catback, Billstein Sport Shocks, H&R Springs, TMS Adjustable trailing arms, X-Brace, TMS Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces, UUC Evo III SSK, UUC Shift Nob, DSSR selector rod, Fan delete.....