Thread: Panoramic Question

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio

Panoramic Question

Hello all,

As I mentioned in another post, I just purchased an 07' X3 for my Mom to replace her Z3 Roadster. I myself have had two X3s in the past (an 04' and an 05') that I bought new and didn't keep too long. I have read about some issues with the Panoramic Moonroof as the X3 ages. It seems that I read that at some point in the E83's life that BMW changed something in the design and there are certain, newer model years that are not subjected to the Panoramic Roof issues. Is this true? Thanks so much!!
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    newer X3s aren't nearly as prone to problems as early models, but there's still a lot going on in there so it's certainly possible to have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    I was wondering if perhaps all of the 'updates and upgrades' starting in the 2007 model year maybe consisted of a fix or re-design of the pano track/mechanism. I've had lots of cars with moon roofs (standard and pano) and always do regular maintenance on them (lubrication, drain cleaning, seal lubrication, etc). I read yesterday that X3 Pano's that receive regular maintenance are far less likely to have the dreaded issues. The moment I return home from vacation, I am going to do some roof maintenance on my Mom's X3. Hopefully prevent the issues from ever happening.
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    There was a design change along the way (may have been '07, not sure). Under warranty, newer sunroof frames can have components changed within the base frame, and older ones get replaced in their entirety to the updated style.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.