Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Convertible Colth Top Care Product?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325ic

Convertible Colth Top Care Product?

Im trying to keep my '92 325vert as clean as possible. After a nice wash and wax the car looks great, except for the top. Over the years it seems like it has lost its luster and its ability to keep the water out when it rains. :/ Ive checked all of my seals in the top and they haven't withered away very much. Even in light rains, it seems like the top becomes saturated with water really quick. Does anyone know of a product that might help repel the water?

-Side note: The top was completely replaced about six years ago, and the car spends Michigan winter months(6) in a climate controlled garage under a cover. So im waiting for my tension straps to go before I replace the top again.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My Cars
    99 M Coupe

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try.

My Cars
    '88 Porsche 951
    What John said. Raggtop. Make sure you get the cleaner and protectant

photo (87) by SpeedFreak81, on Flickr
    '88 Porsche 951 Turbo | '07 335i | '08 Corvette C6 - 60-130 in 8.5sec | 06 GTO | '03 C5 Z06 - 12.2@116 stock

My Cars
    E36 M3

Convertible Colth Top Care Product?

Since you are a michigander I will chime in

First things, rinse the top thoroughly. You do not need to soap it up like the paint when you wash it. Keep soap to a minimum, or make a much more diluted mix for the top. Or use a specific top cleaner, like the raggtopp already suggested. Rinse the top until no more suds come out. The first time this might take hours.

Once it is soap free (and already looking darker and softer), then proceed with the raggtopp procedure. Wait 24hrs for it to dry before applying the protectant.
    Last edited by jlb85; 07-24-2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typos

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    Here is my procedure:

Wet the top w/ distilled water.
    Brush in the diluted cleaner w/ a paint brush. As jlb mentioned, you don't need to make a sudsy mess, just get a little suds going.
    Rinse w/ 1-2 gal of soft water, then I like to rinse again w/ another gallon of distilled water.
    I do an ONR wash of my car at this point, since it's mostly wet anyway and I don't want to dry it off when it is dirty.
    Soak up water from the top by dabbing with a lintless MF towel. Don't wipe it, just press the towel in. This is just to get 75% of the water off.
    Find a sunny spot w/ no overhanging trees to let the top dry. Couple of hours usually does the trick.
    Again using a paint brush, "paint" the fabric guard into the cloth (don't spray it, gets all over and doesn't soak in as well IMO).
    Wipe off any fabric guard that gets on your paint. Using a paint brush minimizes the mess, but you usually get some drips.
    Done.

I use 303 products, have had good luck, but I'm sure the RaggTopp works well also.