Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Hungarian GP @ Hungaroring

My Cars
    WAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post

I wonder why Mercedes had hard time catching up to Ferrari then getting passed by Redbull in last laps, when all other time Mercedes was so superior they would just eat the whole field. Prior to Hungarian GP there was a meeting on how to make the sport more entertaining, out of that meeting came that stewards should ease off a bit on penalties during the race. There was unsafe release, there was bunch of touching but no penalties. They are changing because they got back flavio briatore back as advisor.
    Wat?

Rosberg was gaining 3+ seconds a lap at the end. Hamilton's tires fell off.

Brilliant drives from both Ricciardo and Alonso.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8rat6587 View Post
    Wat?

Rosberg was gaining 3+ seconds a lap at the end. Hamilton's tires fell off.

Brilliant drives from both Ricciardo and Alonso.
    I think he was referring about how good the Mercedes cars are (or supposedly are) when compared to Ferrari despite being on tyres that fell down in performance at around same time and that Hamilton still couldn't pass him. Obviously, Ricciardo is out of the question being on fresh tyres would have still won the race regardless of who comes home in second and in third place.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post

I think he was referring about how good the Mercedes cars are (or supposedly are) when compared to Ferrari despite being on tyres that fell down in performance at around same time and that Hamilton still couldn't pass him. Obviously, Ricciardo is out of the question being on fresh tyres would have still won the race regardless of who comes home in second and in third place.
    Everyone removed the fric suspension right? If so then I'm imagining a good bit of their speed was related to that. Or hell it's just the development game. You never know in f1.
    2007 BMW 335i: stock for the foreseeable future.
    BFC OT Cook Book 1st Editionhttp://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035694
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoeller View Post
    it always amazes me the things I see when I don't have a shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    How turbochargers work: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yes, but even then Mercedes are still far ahead. For example, after the safety car period Nico disappeared into the distance with a gap of more than two to three seconds in a matter of few laps, so I don't think that with Fric or not doesn't really make a difference here. I think this race with varying weather conditions and parts of the track being dry threw their strategies off. In addition, with countless crashes and retirements calling out the safety car Mercedes couldn't bring in Nico right on time and still be able to lead the race. Hamilton's strategy was obviously different and used different tyres. His last stint was planned to be a long one and had to make it to the end. Him being unable to pass Alonso towards the end tells us that Mercedes' pace is as fast as others as soon as the tyres reach their limit. When good, they're quick as lightning.

My Cars
    TBD
    Don't forget that for 90% of the race it was impossible to drive anywhere but the racing line. Move to overtake and you'll get major traction issues due to the damp/wet track offline.

This was why Nico, Seb etc was stuck behind JEV for so long. JEV held the racing line and no-one could overtake. Even taking a different line on corner exit meant a loss of traction and therefore no speed boost for the short straight. Then braking at the end of the straight had to be on the line.

Danny bullied (fairly so) his way past Lewis because he knew Lewis would give him space due to his need for Champ points. The track was dry enough by then too. His overtake of Alonso showed how much better the RBR is than the Ferrari (tire wise too). The rear tire grip was crucial at the end and Dan had more of it than Alonso or Hamilton.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Also, this track with its relatively short, brief straights after turns doesn't give any drivers a chance to overtake. Obviously, except for the main straight and one before turn 3. Actually, if you are any closer to the car ahead of you anywhere in the first sector you can definitely have a chance. Only if you are real close though.

My Cars
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    Don't forget that for 90% of the race it was impossible to drive anywhere but the racing line. Move to overtake and you'll get major traction issues due to the damp/wet track offline.

This was why Nico, Seb etc was stuck behind JEV for so long. JEV held the racing line and no-one could overtake. Even taking a different line on corner exit meant a loss of traction and therefore no speed boost for the short straight. Then braking at the end of the straight had to be on the line.

Danny bullied (fairly so) his way past Lewis because he knew Lewis would give him space due to his need for Champ points. The track was dry enough by then too. His overtake of Alonso showed how much better the RBR is than the Ferrari (tire wise too). The rear tire grip was crucial at the end and Dan had more of it than Alonso or Hamilton.
    Almost 30 laps on a set of tires vs fresh set just mounted...

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
    Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
    --Confucius

My Cars
    BMW's
    It was a seriously exciting race no doubt. Alonso was phenomenal making those tires last.

A side note, I didn't see the team orders to let Nico pass Hamilton. He didn't look anywhere near close enough to challenge Hamilton when he was questioning why Hammy didn't let him by. Great strategy and cunning racing by Hamilton to not give in and never give up! I think it truly shows how bad he wants the title.

Connect with us on: Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | Pintrest | Twitter | YouTube

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank@AchillesMotorsports View Post
    It was a seriously exciting race no doubt. Alonso was phenomenal making those tires last.

A side note, I didn't see the team orders to let Nico pass Hamilton. He didn't look anywhere near close enough to challenge Hamilton when he was questioning why Hammy didn't let him by. Great strategy and cunning racing by Hamilton to not give in and never give up! I think it truly shows how bad he wants the title.
    Yeah, I don't think that Hamilton should have let him passed because he wasn't close at all.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post

Yeah, I don't think that Hamilton should have let him passed because he wasn't close at all.
    Pretty sure hammy is not letting anyone pass until he wraps up the championship or is eliminated from it. And rightly so, I wish they would go back to not allowing team orders.
    2007 BMW 335i: stock for the foreseeable future.
    BFC OT Cook Book 1st Editionhttp://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035694
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoeller View Post
    it always amazes me the things I see when I don't have a shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    How turbochargers work: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by keeptheuroalive View Post
    Pretty sure hammy is not letting anyone pass until he wraps up the championship or is eliminated from it. And rightly so, I wish they would go back to not allowing team orders.
    The issue with not allowing team orders is that they cannot enforce the rule. The teams usually just come up with something else:

Fernando is faster than you.

or

Switch 2 red.

Better that it's out in the open at this point.

Plus there's little to no money for the Team when the driver wins the championship. Actually they'll lose more money having to pay out driver bonuses so it behooves them to want the constructors championship.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12