Thread: Brand New 328i - Finish Blemishes

My Cars
    2016 340i Sedan

Brand New 328i - Finish Blemishes

Hello, first time BMW owner, first time poster.

Took delivery of a new 2014 328i three days ago, with mineral white paint. Gorgeous color. I couldn't have noticed initially because it was almost dark outside when I inspected the vehicle, but yesterday while washing/detailing I noticed a paint blemish on the hood that looks as if a drop of paint dripped from the paint gun. It's only noticeable under the right lighting angle. It's under the clear coat; I can't feel it when I gently run my finger nail across it.

It's not that big of a deal, honestly, but I feel like for the price I paid for a premium vehicle, it should have a flawless finish. The car included a bumper-to-bumper warranty, but I don't believe this is something covered under the factory warranty (or is it?). I don't believe my dealer has a paint-body shop and I haven't approached them yet about the blemish. I feel like they should fix it or pay to fix it.

What are your thoughts?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I very highly doubt that the blemish occurred at the factory. I toured it in April and the bodies are fully inspected. Anything amiss with the paint is taken care of at the factory. I bet the blemish occurred at the BMW vehicle prep facility as a result of something that happened during shipment. I am sure the dealer will take care of it and the cost should be paid by BMW NA.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport 5spd
    Sometimes damage occurs in transit and stealerships do resprays without telling you. So chances are the hood was repainted by a shop. Id ask to get it done properly

2002 530i Sport 5 speed

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
    Sometimes damage occurs in transit and stealerships do resprays without telling you. So chances are the hood was repainted by a shop. Id ask to get it done properly
    Yup, was about to say this

Cars at dealerships often get "lot damage" when they are sitting on the lot for so long. Could be an idiot test driving bumped it in the parking lot, could be bird dropping allowed to fester on the paint too long, could be an angry person keyed part of the car or something...

Whatever it was, the dealer will just take it to a body shop get it repaired and sell it as-new. They probably don't have a bodyshop on site, but every car dealership works closely with a body shop, for both their new cars and more often for their used trade-ins. Its ok for them to resell the repaired car as new but if you raise a little hell about it they will usually make things right for you. Personally I would demand a different car, as I would hate to buy a new car and it already has body damage. Particularly if they don't tell you WHY it was repainted, I would assume it was something somewhat serious; possibly a minor front end impact.

May be a good idea to get some paint thickness measurements from all around the car before taking it in, so if they deny it was re-painted, you have a little evidence on your side.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!