Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 Series Maintenance questions

My Cars
    1994 525I, 1993 850Ci
    I financed mine a year and a half ago. I have a good job with very little debt so that helps. Also helps that I have 4 other cars to drive so if the 8 is down for a little waiting for repairs I'm not down and out.

I'd say if you're gonna finance it make sure you get a really good loan and save as much as you can, even if it means eating ramen noodles a lot.
    1983 Monte Carlo SS
    1984 Pontiac fiero SE
    1993 BMW 850CI
    1994 BMW 525I

My Cars
    840+S550 AMG+CanAm RS-S
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    I am surprised that there are banks still willing to lend on a car as old as the E31 at all.)
    Actually, there is a finance company that is associated with Hagerty Insurance that will finance "classics" but as the others have said, if you plan on financing this as your DD and with the repair bills that will be associated with this car, this will become very frustrating to you and this is part of the reason why our 8's have this reputation....hence the term "deep pockets."

My Cars
    1997 840Ci
    Having read all of the above you are in a good position to decide on the price (condition) of your purchase, if it will be a daily driver or a project, and if you will be satisfied to (nearly) always have something that needs money / time spent on it. With all of that said I have never heard of anyone who regrets their decision to own an E31. It's just that sometimes their E31's hate their owners. You sound to me like a good candidate for ownership. Just make sure you do your homework. And there is a truckload of information on this forum to plough (sorry Iowa) through to get you comfortable with your decision.

My Cars
    N/A
    Awe, ouch... Iowa joke... It's okay, I'm originally from the great state of Nebraska, so make fun of Iowa all you want!

I think I mentioned it pretty early on, but I do have a reliable DD and definitely do NOT plan to DD an E31. Would probably be putting 2-3 thousand miles on it a year.

I totally understand where everyone is coming from from a financing perspective, but it'll take me a while to save up. I do have a down payment right now, just not for the full price (of a GOOD one...)!

I still feel, just because of the rarity of the car, that more than half the battle is finding the right car for me. I looked actively for over 6 months before I bought my last sports car (a 2006 Lotus Exige). Found a great deal on it, handled the payments fine, the value of the car went way up, so I cashed in and am out looking for my next adventure.

- - - Updated - - -

... and yes, if you say anything about Nebraska, the discussion will lead right into football. :P

My Cars
    1992 850i
    Unless you're buying a CSi, an E31 is not suitable for an "investment".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12