Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: side gapping plugs

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Ive heard that the 4 prong plugs (like alot of the factory BMW plugs) take a crap load of energy and will exploit a weak ignition component very quick. I have no facts, just something ive read
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    I'm at 4000 miles on 4554's gapped at 0.028". No misfire on my car with possibly the 19-year old OEM coils. I must Be doing something wrong?
    I think that's a very generous assumption to make that they've never ever been changed for the life of the motor.

My Cars
    e30
    I have always wondered why people here don't talk about ignition upgrades. Are factory coils really strong enough for the turbo systems common today (4094/6266)?

Honestly curious.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Quote Originally Posted by iRodD View Post
    BRISK LGS spark plugs
    THATS BRISK BABY!

"There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    Quote Originally Posted by iRodD View Post
    BRISK LGS spark plugs http://www.briskusa.com/products/spa...s/premium-lgs/ - - - Updated - - - NGK 4554 : BRISK equivalent DOR12LGS DR12S w/ Resistor D12S non Resistor
    yes!

My Cars
    Bima
    That brisk advertisement is comedy.

Normal high performance race plugs that are used in professional race cars.

Our ultra monster plugs. raawrrr!!! Open the gates of hell!

My Cars
    Estoril Mcoupe
    I love me some iced tea

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    I had pretty good luck emailing NGK directly with my basic engine spec's and power out put and got a pretty fast response. Could be worth an email to see what they have to say.

My Cars
    Race Car, 330Ci, R1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by ZimDoc View Post
    I had pretty good luck emailing NGK directly with my basic engine spec's and power out put and got a pretty fast response. Could be worth an email to see what they have to say.

This.

Good luck,
    Rob43
    Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
    SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
    (DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
    "Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    I have always wondered why people here don't talk about ignition upgrades. Are factory coils really strong enough for the turbo systems common today (4094/6266)?

Honestly curious.
    Most people (including myself at the beginning) tend to believe old ass coils and boots are going to get you by, so you're there gapping your plugs down to avoid misfires.

But in reality anything but new coils probably won't fare too well or very long.

Factory coils seem to be decently strong and have good spark energy output, but that's probably no longer the case with people running old/high mile coils and boots.

Most of the time a solid ignition system should support at least 0.030" gap under boost IMO

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Most people (including myself at the beginning) tend to believe old ass coils and boots are going to get you by, so you're there gapping your plugs down to avoid misfires.

But in reality anything but new coils probably won't fare too well or very long.

Factory coils seem to be decently strong and have good spark energy output, but that's probably no longer the case with people running old/high mile coils and boots.

Most of the time a solid ignition system should support at least 0.030" gap under boost IMO
    What coils are you running again?

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    I'm at 4000 miles on 4554's gapped at 0.028". No misfire on my car with possibly the 19-year old OEM coils. I must Be doing something wrong?
    Not running enough power to have problems.

I run NGK 4554 at .018" with no problems up to 30psi.

There are ignition amplifiers available for anyone to incorporate if they really are looking for big torque and don't want to change plugs as often. For a 500+ ft-lb street car though on pump gas, reading the plugs every few thousand miles to ensure the engine is running healthy is cheap insurance. I check them long before they start misfiring for my own sanity and the overall health of the engine.

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by m3mods View Post
    What coils are you running again?
    After finally being fed up not getting anywhere with old/used stock OBD2 coils and boots, I've switched to VW/Audi DI coils (long ones) which I got for free. They're cheap and work really well as they have a very powerful spark output. Generally being able to run 0.031 or larger gap up to 30 psi isn't an issue with them.

Of course the issue with them is they're active coils and aren't able to be used with the stock ECU which is only able to drive a dumb/high power coil pack (3 wire).

m3mods is offline Boost Addict BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    AC Schnitzer S3 CLS
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    After finally being fed up not getting anywhere with old/used stock OBD2 coils and boots, I've switched to VW/Audi DI coils (long ones) which I got for free. They're cheap and work really well as they have a very powerful spark output. Generally being able to run 0.031 or larger gap up to 30 psi isn't an issue with them.

Of course the issue with them is they're active coils and aren't able to be used with the stock ECU which is only able to drive a dumb/high power coil pack (3 wire).
    Hmm may have to look into those as I will be running ViPec standalone on the new setup which should open the door for lots of different possibilities.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I knew a dude who was running plasma ignition on his Audi build. Very cool stuff. Got a decent power boost out of it, very clearly proven on the dyno.

http://spdispark.com/
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    EuroS50B30,e83,Frontier
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I knew a dude who was running plasma ignition on his Audi build. Very cool stuff. Got a decent power boost out of it, very clearly proven on the dyno.

http://spdispark.com/
    That is very interesting, and seems like a great idea.. Wonder how reliable it is..
    "There are bold drivers and there are old drivers, but there are no bold, old drivers."

My Cars
    Race Car, 330Ci, R1200R
    BOOST-A SPARK

I have one of these sitting new in a box, never got around to installing it. I of course believe it will work.
    One thing I really like is the fact that you can use it with a WOT switch, this way you're only taxing the stock coils
    for a short while. This should provide a longer coil life.

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/A...oostaspark.htm

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...t-spark-63536/

Good luck,
    Rob43
    Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
    SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
    (DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
    "Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

My Cars
    e30
    Carwiz008, thanks for sharing the laser plugs. Never seen that before.

A really strong and long single spark event is much better than a bunch of weaker ones like CDI.
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by carwiz008 View Post
    ^ That is very different from a laser spark. You're still using a voltage potential to generate an arc. And I'm not sure about the idea of 'extending' the duration to improve a burn.. their tech page says the "2ms" spark is really 50 mini pulses, that will generate what... more kernals? IMO a healthy propagation from a strong, single kernal, coupled with controlled turbulence and lack of that 4-prong electrode nonsense (just extra heat sinks to quench the flame) is much more important than trying to continually re-start the fire.

The laser is a whole other animal. Literally just shooting photons at the densely compacted air/fuel, they will ionize at the focal point and ignite with 1/10 the energy of a traditional spark.
    Well first of all nobody said it was the same as laser spark and nobody's tryin to rain on your laser parade or anything so no need to be defensive - just throwin some info out there. But second of all, I'm not sure it's as completely different as you suggest. Doesn't the laser spark create some plasma state in the combustion chamber as well? The method of plasma initiation is different for sure but both derive some of their benefit from creating plasma in the combust chamber.

In re: their system - yeah I think by initiating plasma in the combustion chamber, the effect and mode of action here is nothing like a multiple conventional spark. The pulses are there to maintain the plasma state in the combustion chamber which is what they claim supports efficient flame fronts and makes combustion more efficient. All I can say is I've seen a car running it, know a guy with 2 cars in his families running it, and it was entirely effective and seemingly reliable. No relation / interest on my part aside from technical interest - seems like cool stuff.

The bigger argument against it if you want to be hater is the cost - its bux for sure. But then again a laser spark system is gonna probably be a few mortgage payments more expensive than this...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    A really strong and long single spark event is much better than a bunch of weaker ones like CDI.
    The plasma setup is nothing like CDI multiple spark if you look at their tech info - CDI doesn't come anywhere near to creating plasma in the chamber. They have one big spark then support plasma with reduced pulses afterwards. So it's not an either/or its an 'and' situation... Again not trying to be a fanboi for that setup just clarifying what it is.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    e30
    Thanks for clarifying!
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    98 m3
    So how powerful of a laser we talking here, can i tear apart some old dvd drives and make some laser coils?
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    So how powerful of a laser we talking here, can i tear apart some old dvd drives and make some laser coils?
    Get some 99 cent/free shipping laser pointers from Chinese eBay sellers. Go for the green ones, everybody knows the green ones make you go faster.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Get some 99 cent/free shipping laser pointers from Chinese eBay sellers. Go for the green ones, everybody knows the green ones make you go faster.
    Or just take the ones off your sharks. That's what I'm gonna do.

2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    a few e30s
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    Should any magnets/magnifying glass be obtained as well?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast