Thread: New member looking for advice

My Cars
    2006 Ford Mustang

New member looking for advice

Hey I just made an account and am looking for some advice from you all. I know you probably get these kind of threads all the time but I was just wondering if it is a good idea for me to buy a BMW with my situation. I am 19 and am a college student. I have spent this past week researching the cost of ownership regarding maintenance and repairs. I came across the site "Bimmer DIY" and looked over the wealth of information regarding do-it-yourself maintenance. Along with this, I have watched YouTube videos showing how to fix problems common to the car I'm looking at.

I have no car diy repair background other than oil changes but I feel I would be competent to do these repairs myself to save money. I also know a few mechanics very well who would be able to help me in the event that I need help. On top of all this, I work a lot and have a steady cash flow and think I could afford to pay for parts and trips to the shop for repairs I don't feel comfortable performing.

Now I come to you to ask if there is anything I have overlooked regarding what its really like to own and maintain a BMW. If it wouldn't be a good idea for me to get one at this point in my life please comment below giving your reasoning and help guide me in this decision.

By the way I am looking at a 2004 BMW 325ci listed below.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/de...44/overview/#1

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Buying a used BMW with an automatic is a bit of a gamble. Why? These transmissions aren't known for the best reliability.

How many miles on the car? Does the car have a full maintenance history that includes at least 2 transmission fluid and filter changes? If you're reeeely interested in the car you need to have aa Pre-purchase inspection (PPI) performed by an experienced BMW mechanic who DOES NOT work for the dealer.

Where in northern VA are you located? I'm from Arlington and can recommend several trustworthy shops.