Thread: Suspension setup for s54 e36 trackcar

My Cars
    Yes please

Suspension setup for s54 e36 trackcar

Hello all!

It's been a while since I've had the privilege to pay over here as I've been working out the links in my s54 e36 build. You guys always have the best answers so I figured if start here!

I'm running a gutted s54 powered e36 with Bilstein PSS coilovers with hyperco 500f 600r springs with turner blue bars full stiff front and full loose rear. Ground control camber plates up front and a set of grand am conti takeoffs from jpjp.

I have read the 'definitive suspension setup for e36 m3' thread that is madly popular, but I'm assuming things are different with the s54 and slicks.

I'm not sure what would be the ideal setup for my suspension. I really need your help and wisdom!

Ride height, camber, toe... The whole nine yards so I can dial this alignment and setup in. I'll be spending most of my time at road Atlanta Sebring, barber and various autox

I'm all ears guys!

Cheers!

Patrick

My Cars
    Yes please
    Xbrace as well : )

My Cars
    1992 325i
    It really won't be any different. What will be different is the alignment from track to autocross. I run less toe in on the rear (almost 0) than I've read about from the track guys. With the intention of getting more rear rotation.
    Last edited by Joshh; 07-19-2014 at 03:18 PM.

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshh View Post
    It really won't be any different. What will be different is the alignment from track to autocross. I run less toe in on the rear (almost 0) than I've read about from the track guys. With the intention of getting more rear rotation.

What would be your suggestion for both instances?

My Cars
    1992 325i
    I haven't done a single track day with the car. For Autocross....

Front:
    Camber: -3.5
    Toe: total out-.2
    Sway bar: 24mm attached to the LCA.

Rear:
    Camber: -2.0
    Toe: total toe in-.2
    Away bar is stock 325i. Looking to go to an M3 stock bar.

A lot of drivers set rear camber about 1* from the front.

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    I'd ditch the PSS's and get something on the vehicles level. MCS's, JRZ's, etc. From there you need decide what tire you will stay on and build the suspension around that. Changing spring rates or even shocks can limit how fast the car will be on slicks or even downgrading to r-comps.

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by ZimDoc View Post
    I'd ditch the PSS's and get something on the vehicles level. MCS's, JRZ's, etc. From there you need decide what tire you will stay on and build the suspension around that. Changing spring rates or even shocks can limit how fast the car will be on slicks or even downgrading to r-comps.
    Wonderful advice with the exception the MCS runs around 7k. I'm looking for the optimal numbers to dial in with my current setup, thanks!

My Cars
    1997 M3 STU
    MCS somewhat recently came out with a 2-way non-remote damper set which starts at $3,400. http://store.bimmerworld.com/mcs-mot...set-p1964.aspx . 1-way starts at $2700
    A great alternative to the full blow remote set up. I have had great luck with MCS customer service and been very happy with my selection.
    Last edited by tbert122; 07-20-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Tristan- 97 M3 #154 STU

2012 SCCA SOLO STU National Champion
    2012 SCCA SOLO Rookie of the Year

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by tbert122 View Post
    MCS somewhat recently came out with a 2-way non-remote damper set which starts at $3,400. http://store.bimmerworld.com/mcs-mot...set-p1964.aspx . 1-way starts at $2700 A great alternative to the full blow remote set up. I have had great luck with MCS customer service and been very happy with my selection.
    Fantastic news! MCS will be my next move when the time comes, just trying to learn the vehicle on this setup the best I possibly can before I progress into a truly aggressive setup

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    I don't know from first hand experience, but can repeat for you what I've read on the Internet (and heard today in a tech session given by Edge Motorworks, who work on and track or race many BMWs).

If your car is dialed in correctly for one type of tires then you get stickier tires, you probably want more negative camber and higher spring rates. Higher spring rates want stiffer rebound settings and you might want stiffer bump settings too, if the PSS dampers allow that. But the only way to see if you have the right amount of extra negative camber is drive it, see how it feels, and take tire temps or watch tire wear. Stiffer spring rates and more camber may mean you can soften the swaybars, but you need to drive it to figure out if the swaybars need changes.

Then if your spring rates go above what the dampers can you, you'll need them revalved, or get new dampers. If you add power (S54), you might enjoy wider tires to aid in acceleration out of corners and braking upon corner entry. Then if you still need more grip, look at aero

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    Higher spring rates want stiffer rebound settings and you might want stiffer bump settings too, if the PSS dampers allow that.
    Should need softer bump setting with a stiffer spring, otherwise I agree.

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    I just got a set of TRM coilovers for my E36 track car. It's certainly not an S54 beast like yours but it's track-only so I wanted stiff springs. I went with 900/1000 springs and apparently the TRMs are valved to handle up to 1200lb springs. I haven't installed them yet (i'm installing a rollbar, steering wheel and seats/harnesses now) but as soon as I get a dry weekend, i'll install them, get an alignment and tell you how they are. My friend level8drummer has the TRMs on his daily/track car with 1200lb springs and swears by them. They're also much less pricey than the other suspensions listed above.

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by SalahHH83 View Post
    I just got a set of TRM coilovers for my E36 track car. It's certainly not an S54 beast like yours but it's track-only so I wanted stiff springs. I went with 900/1000 springs and apparently the TRMs are valved to handle up to 1200lb springs. I haven't installed them yet (i'm installing a rollbar, steering wheel and seats/harnesses now) but as soon as I get a dry weekend, i'll install them, get an alignment and tell you how they are. My friend level8drummer has the TRMs on his daily/track car with 1200lb springs and swears by them. They're also much less pricey than the other suspensions listed above.
    Sounds great! Keep me posted! I have a build thread I the engine conversion section if you want to check it out! I'm very far away from upgrading the suspension but it would be nice to know how things are working for others!

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    I don't know from first hand experience, but can repeat for you what I've read on the Internet (and heard today in a tech session given by Edge Motorworks, who work on and track or race many BMWs). If your car is dialed in correctly for one type of tires then you get stickier tires, you probably want more negative camber and higher spring rates. Higher spring rates want stiffer rebound settings and you might want stiffer bump settings too, if the PSS dampers allow that. But the only way to see if you have the right amount of extra negative camber is drive it, see how it feels, and take tire temps or watch tire wear. Stiffer spring rates and more camber may mean you can soften the swaybars, but you need to drive it to figure out if the swaybars need changes. Then if your spring rates go above what the dampers can you, you'll need them revalved, or get new dampers. If you add power (S54), you might enjoy wider tires to aid in acceleration out of corners and braking upon corner entry. Then if you still need more grip, look at aero
    Awesome info sir! Noted and thank you!!!

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    I definitely will! We'd spoken a while back about your S54 conversion. I would have loved to do the same. Maybe I will down the line. We should definitely meet up at the track someday. We're running with PCA at Roebling Sept 20th. We went to Barber back on Memorial day with BMWCCA Heart of Dixie chapter.... That is one beautiful track! I still haven't been to Road Atlanta but I really wanna see your car out on the track!

My Cars
    Yes please
    I definitely will! We'd spoken a while back about your S54 conversion. I would have loved to do the same. Maybe I will down the line. We should definitely meet up at the track someday. We're running with PCA at Roebling Sept 20th. We went to Barber back on Memorial day with BMWCCA Heart of Dixie chapter.... That is one beautiful track! I still haven't been to Road Atlanta but I really wanna see your car out on the track!
    I remember!

Heck yeah! I want to do Roebling and Barber soon! road Atlanta will be a staple for the rest of the year for me. I know for sure I'll be up there in November for the turkey trot through Mvp track time. Great event! It's going to be one heck of a change getting this thing out on track with all this power/suspension changes. 5 to 6/10s will be mandatory for the first couple runs!

My Cars
    X5 4.8is, S54 GTS4 95M3
    Do you have your car corner balanced? I saw no mention of that but maybe it's a given idk.

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by Iverson jr View Post
    Do you have your car corner balanced? I saw no mention of that but maybe it's a given idk.
    Not yet As I'm doing control arms and other installments this week. That is on the short list!

My Cars
    X5 4.8is, S54 GTS4 95M3

Suspension setup for s54 e36 trackcar

I'd start with the front as low as you can get it without rubbing (under heavy load) and then set the rear 1/4" higher. Then do corner balancing with the sway links detached, your ride height will be all messed up after that of course, then set camber, caster and toe. Front -3.0, rear -1.8. Max caster. 1/8" toe out in front, 1/8" toe in for the rear. This is what I use for my s54 e36 with MCS 2 ways and it's the ticket. Rick
    Last edited by Iverson jr; 07-22-2014 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    Yes please
    Quote Originally Posted by Iverson jr View Post
    I'd start with the front as low as you can get it without rubbing (under heavy load) and then set the rear 1/4" higher. Then do corner balancing with the sway links detached, your ride height will be all messed up after that of course, then set camber, caster and toe. Front -3.0, rear -1.8. Max caster. 1/8" toe out in front, 1/8" toe in for the rear. This is what I use for my s54 e36 with MCS 2 ways and it's the ticket. Rick
    Thanks for the PM, Rick! Great info!

My Cars
    10 335i - 97 328is x2
    haha you and I both man and I have nowhere near the power you have! I did my first several track events on stock suspension and am now swapping on super stiff coil overs and have stripped another few hundred lbs from the car.. It will be a totally new beast, even with the puny M52. I'm going to get used to the new suspension with the M52 before swapping in an S52. I really would have loved to do an S54 like yours, but it just wasn't in the budget. I'm dying to see your swap in person though!

My Cars
    Yes please
    haha you and I both man and I have nowhere near the power you have! I did my first several track events on stock suspension and am now swapping on super stiff coil overs and have stripped another few hundred lbs from the car.. It will be a totally new beast, even with the puny M52. I'm going to get used to the new suspension with the M52 before swapping in an S52. I really would have loved to do an S54 like yours, but it just wasn't in the budget. I'm dying to see your swap in person though!
    10-4 ! I'm sure we can work something out!