Thread: Just bought a 2001 BMW 325i, I have some questions. Need as much help as I can get

My Cars
    e46 BMW HellRot 325i

Just bought a 2001 BMW 325i, I have some questions. Need as much help as I can get

yes, I did post this on the mechanical forum but I want to get everyone who knows bmw's to help me out because once I tear about this thing, I will help others in return. Okay first things first and please bare with me. This is my first BMW and even-though it has a quite a few problems I am still excited and I am more or less taking it on as a project car hence the somewhat lower price. I just put a deposit down and going to pick it up tomorrow for $2300 dollars. It is a 2001 all Red with plasti dipped Black rims with M sports package(sport steering wheel and seats). It is 5 speed.

The car has high miles though and at 154k at least according to the title. He said he swapped out the cluster cause the "lights" don't work. He put in a cluster that says 180k on it. He said he has the other cluster and a 330i exhaust he can give me. Not sure if there is a different? The body is in good shape with a tiny rust spot on the Quarter panel and a small cracked rear diffuser. I may not replace that as those black diffusers on the sports packages are like $300 bucks.

Other minor things. Some small typical rubber trim and the window cowel is chipped and worn out but I'm not gonna worry about that stuff on a 13 year old car it is usually normal. Beside the kidney grills there is a missing rubber piece but

Those are little things I don't care much about. It also needs bushings or something for the typical "spinning shift knob" the silly grain wood that I have seen on legit 6 bmw's. Not sure if it is because it has need for shifter pins yet but that is what I seen so far.

Engine looks good, and clutch feels decent and grabby. He checked the OBD codes in front of me and it just showed an EVAP code. He wanted to replace the fuel filter but he said they sold him the wrong one? He got it for a 2001 but the car is mfg after aug of 01 so its probably 2002 parts but the vin and title say 2001. I think its what they call a "mid production car" Also he said the a/c works mint.

1st major problem. It has lower control arm bushings that are completely shot. It seems like an issue job so I am not worried about that. What I am worried about is what damage that could of happened from driving them while they got bad? Do wheel bearings go on these enough when they been driven so long with bad bushings? I am going to get poly ones, what are some of the best brands to go for ? I always liked ES bushings and stood by them.

2nd major things It needs brakes and rotors and I hear a slight clunking when shifting and going into neutral. I can only think of a drive shift issue but my friend and former BMW tech things it is just motor mounts. I hope it is just motor mounts.

Lastly...it needs tires really badly and a small rip in the seat. It also seems like a very typical thing for the 6 BMW's I have checked out. Maybe I can go to an upholstery repair person or just find the seat from someone parting it out? The steering wheel also needs to be re-glued in the middle as it rotates. Overall yes, the car needs a lot of work but the car drives decent. He just wants to get rid of it cause he bought a 330. It passes inspection.

Thank you guys. I will accept any input you can give to me. I am a former mechanic and been fixing them my whole life. I think this isn't a bad price for what it needs, once it is all fixed up, I can't think everything will really cost me more than 1500 bucks with of fixing, once I get tired of the car, I will upgrade when I get enough money and join the m3 family.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You can drive - carefully - on worn lower control arm bushings (LCABs) but they'll need to be replaced. I highly recommend Meyle HD LCAs and LCABs. The ball joints are replaceable though I have a ton of miles on mine and they're tight. Tires: goto tirerack for research.

Brakes are easy on these cars. Your car may need only pads, but you'll have to measure the rotors' thickness to determine if they need to be replaced. Also, flush the brake fluid with fluid made by ATE or other reputable brand. The DOT4 stuff sold at AutoZone, etc. isn't up to the task, afaic.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Agree with Marco, brakes easy, control arm I did with meyle (sorted out clunking noise). That tranny noise you really need to sus out. Could be the control arm ball joint. 154 is low milage.
    When ever someone says something works "mint" check it out for your self. with that kinda milage 2300 is pretty good, but then with some of that stuff the value goes down, may want to offer a little less for all of that.

My Cars
    e46 BMW HellRot 325i
    Not worried about brakes I been doing those my whole life lol. but anyway I bought the car. I kinda regret it through because I think the guy duped me on a few things and I am just finding them out now. They are minor but it pisses me off.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Auzybimm View Post
    Not worried about brakes I been doing those my whole life lol. but anyway I bought the car. I kinda regret it through because I think the guy duped me on a few things and I am just finding them out now. They are minor but it pisses me off.
    In the future, if a car has plasti-dipped rims - thats a huge red flag that says "I've been neglected to at least some extent"

Regarding the seats: I would just look for a pair of replacements versus paying an upholstery shop to fix yours. Rest of the repair jobs you mentioned are pretty easy. If you can do brakes you can do control arms.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    e46 BMW HellRot 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    In the future, if a car has plasti-dipped rims - thats a huge red flag that says "I've been neglected to at least some extent"

Regarding the seats: I would just look for a pair of replacements versus paying an upholstery shop to fix yours. Rest of the repair jobs you mentioned are pretty easy. If you can do brakes you can do control arms.
    It is just the money though......

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Iv seens leather e46 seats go for 300 bucks a set on CL.

Lets see some pics At 2400 bucks you can always walk away and sell it when things go bad. Yea pastic dipped rims or something like that is a bad sign, kinda like a high school kid owned it or something.