Thread: New Car Need Suggestions Please

My Cars
    1999 BMW e39 528i sedan

New Car Need Suggestions Please

Hi guys, got a big decision to make...
    Helping my mom choose a new car and her options are either a 2014 f10 528i xdrive alpine white exterior and a cinnamon brown interior w/ Cold Weather package and Premium Package. The other is a 2014 Mercedes e350 Polar White w a Silk Beige interior. The Benz has the Premium package, Sports package, 18-inch AMG wheels, and Harmon/kardon surround sound system.

Personally, I'm a huge BMW fan. I have a e39 528i 5 speed and love the thing to death. My sister has a e53 x5 4.4i and the things a tank. Other family members have a dinan e60 m5 and a dinan e46 m3. I'm stuck on the decision between which car my mom should buy because I love BMWs and know how reliable they are, but the Benz is looking like a better deal. Both cars are around $56k. Just looking for some more honest opinions. Thanks guys.

-Mike

My Cars
    z3
    Well your asking this on a BMW forum...

I really don't see how the Benz seems to be a better value at all. They are different cars, have her buy the one she prefers after driving both.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Well your asking this on a BMW forum...

I really don't see how the Benz seems to be a better value at all. They are different cars, have her buy the one she prefers after driving both.
    Sterling idea. Both cars, being German, have servicing woes, and generally poor dealer service departments. Let her buy what she likes.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    BMW AMG powered Odyessy.

Sterling idea, fa show!

My Cars
    destiny
    W211 E55 or a E60 M5 LOL. For you mother personally the BMW is a good idea because its mainly middle aged women driving them
    Current
    2008 E70 4.8 BSM/Black - 100% Options2007 335i SG/Coral Red - 6MT - Ets, Spec, BMS, VRSF, Broadway Static
    2004 325i AW/Black

Past
    2000 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone - ST Coilovers
    1998 E36 M3 - Tiag, Bride Gias, RK Tunes, M50, AA Track Pipe..

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Do you really think you will get an un-biased response? Ask on a Ford forum. LOL.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I'm going to say to stick with BMW since your whole family owns BMW's. Simplest answer it can get.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Just drove the new 5er - is pretty nice but pretty huge and a bit numb. Possibly good for older types honestly. Not super bmw in feel but all the new cars are that way sadly.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    It appears that the issue is to help your MOTHER decide which car SHE likes..and not about which car works for YOU or lights YOUR fire. If she really needs your help in deciding...then be a really good son and actually help make the decision that will make her smile every time she's behind the wheel...and when she exits the vehicle or talk about her car...she has good feelings about it.

This means she needs to drive both...then if one doesn't really "speak" to her while sitting behind the wheel & in the seat while driving...then make a pro/con list of what she wants/prefers and how she feels each car has or responded to what's important to HER.

You seem to like the premium & sport pkg w/18" wheels...but if the BMW has smaller wheels with a taller side wall (and probably slight softer/compliant feel)...she my prefer the less jarring response fro the suspension. If she's the one that will be driving the vehicle, then it's important that the car gives & responds to her likes & wishes..not yours or ours.

Good luck...and you never know...she my even like another model..like the new BMW 4 series grand coupe`. I just saw one of these the other day and it freaked me out...I don't follow the 3 (& now) 4 series that much...so when i saw this nice 4 door sedan..I walked around the back to see which 5 series it was and to my surprise..the nomenclature was a 435xi...my jaw dropped & i had t do a double take...thinking that the new 4 series was supposed to be a 2 door coupe. After seeing the MSRP sticker & the "grand coupe" name in the side window...I just shook my head in utter confusion. But a really nice looking Bimmer.

IMHO...this new 4 series grand coupe`has a similar visual appeal like the 6 series gran coupe`...in that they are some of the best looking models BMW has designed since the e38/e39/e46 era.
    the 4 GC also has folding rear seats and & hatch ( even though it looks like a sedan...thus giving the vehicle a utilitarian capability that most sedans don't have. So if your mom does the shopping (groceries & household + personal)...she can easily make a large haul bsck to the homestead whether she's picking up food stuff for the household, cumbersome pieces found at garage or yard sales, or that mad sale at Macy's/Bloomingdale's etc that she's gotta hide fro your dad.

Here's a review & some pics of the 4 GC: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1999 BMW e39 528i sedan

Red face

Thank you everyone!

@Qsilver7 You hit the nail on the head with that response, lol! Btw I just spotted a new Yas Marina blue m4 the other day in town, thing was unreal. Ill try to upload pics. My friends mom has the 435xi too, great car with a great ride. Thanks again for the responses. I think she is nervous with the AMG wheels (potholes=blowouts), will have her go for another round of test driving to be sure. Will let you know the final decision.

-Mike

Last edited by motorfleek7; 07-19-2014 at 02:48 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Not sure any car is a good deal at 56k
    1994 325is - s50/zf trans/TRM chip/s52 headers/21.5lb injctrs/3.5 HFM/M3 brakes/billy sports/hr springs/reinforced subframe/camber plates/adj ctrl arms/3.15 LSD
    2004 Volvo s40 T5 - Daily
    2000 GMC k2500 5.7 - 33's/frame off resto'd
    1989 Chevrolet k2500 5.7 rclb

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    IMHO...this new 4 series grand coupe`has a similar visual appeal like the 6 series gran coupe`...in that they are some of the best looking models BMW has designed since the e38/e39/e46 era.
    You know Q, you are a pretty smart guy considering you are completely insane

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 BMW e39 528i sedan
    Lol ^^. Just wanted to update this and let you guys know that she picked the Bimmer! She loves the thing. I couldn't be happier with her decision. Cant wait to take it for a drive on the highway.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M3
    Here is my new BMW I got a few months back!http://www.imgspice.com/veid4imn1dj8/JWSm.jpg.html

My Cars
    E36 M3 , E39 540is
    get the F10 but loose the xdrive... you will thank me once your 4 year warranty is over
    "Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting" -Steve McQueen

"Sex is safe & racing is dangerous" -Hans-Joachim Stuck